The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
8door
Not too old to learn

Should I go with A/C?

Doing some cleaning for paint, and took the heater box off.
It had duct tap next to the motor, and it came apart in two pieces.
The PO ,I guess must have changed the heater core and cut the box in half to make it easier to get the thing out without removing the motor.
See the damage at bottom hole, also the spigot for lower hose fell off when I removed the hose.That is now worthless........................
So now I'm thinking I'll go ahead and install air conditioning.
Probably use Vintage Air.
Does that mean all the old heater interior boxes as well as controls go as well?
What else do need to do to prepare for AC?
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

ya gotta luv sawzall ingenuity. LOL

I'd like to know as well.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:19 PM   #3
8door
Not too old to learn

Ya and duct tape
Old 03-25-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
sub4rvr

The controls seem to be the only parts that are re-used. I'm going to install aftermarket air someday.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php3?t=61340
67 Mustang (2)
69 Torino GT
00 Mustang GT Conv.
sub4rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:32 PM   #5
8door
Not too old to learn

Thanks for the info .That seems to have all I need to know. Mine is heater only so Ill need a controll unit, but will do that later.
I was in your town Tuesday man was it windy in the pass.Glade the rain has stopped can get to my truck again.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:30 AM   #6
see ten
WTB this ad

I just finished my install of Vintage Air on my C10 today. You can use your factory heater controls with the VA system or you can upgrade to factory air controls. My K10 uses the factory non air controls and my C10 uses factory air controls. I didn't care for the setup of the non air system because you have no control of your temp. You can chose heat, air and the fan speed. It only blows hot or cold, nothing in between for those in between days. I like the factory air controls on the C10 much better it allows a little temp adjustment for when you don't quite want the heat or air wide open. You will need to locate a 3 groove crank pulley and a 2 groove water pump pulley. Aside from that, everthing else will come with the kit. If you decide you want to use factory air controls make sure you get the bracket that will allow you to bolt the controls to the dash. If you can't find one VA will sell you one for $4.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:24 AM   #7
8door
Not too old to learn

How did you close up the holes in firewall.
Weld plates or screw them inplace?
I have seen pictures of nice jobs well done on this board that are welded then smoothed and painted.But never any that are screwed on.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
Low68

ok, here is my two cents plus a picture of a old air unit that is bolted in. I put in the old air unit and am not impressed with it. It does not cool the cab and I hardly ever use it. I am not sure why, because I have heard people say that their old air kit is TOO cold. My brother has a vintage air kit on his 67 camaro, and his stinks too. So it could be something we did. Anyways, Good luck getting everything right and blowing cold. Here is a picture of the old air kit as put in per the instructions. The second picture shows that black plate welded in and painted.
Low 68
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #9
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8door
How did you close up the holes in firewall.
Weld plates or screw them inplace?
I have seen pictures of nice jobs well done on this board that are welded then smoothed and painted.But never any that are screwed on.
The kit comes with a plate that will cover the holes in the firewall. It just screws/bolts on where your outside heater box used to be. I have seen people paint them but both of mine are still black.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:48 AM   #10
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low68
ok, here is my two cents plus a picture of a old air unit that is bolted in. I put in the old air unit and am not impressed with it. It does not cool the cab and I hardly ever use it. I am not sure why, because I have heard people say that their old air kit is TOO cold. My brother has a vintage air kit on his 67 camaro, and his stinks too. So it could be something we did. Anyways, Good luck getting everything right and blowing cold. Here is a picture of the old air kit as put in per the instructions. The second picture shows that black plate welded in and painted.
Low 68
I think I would call tech support and see if they could talk you through any of your problems. I think these kits are well designed and and both of mine have worked flawlessly. You have spent way to much time and money installing these kits to not have them work properly. There must be a reason yours isn't working correctly. I think tech would be glad to help you out, no good company wants unhappy/dissatisfied customers.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:00 AM   #11
busterwivell

Ya, I've had 3 Vintage Air kits now, and they have all been great. One was in a Station Wagon and it cooled and heated fine. I can frost the vents in my truck. On the bottom of the VA kit, under the dash is a knob you can turn to adjust it, you don't have it turned all the way down, do you? That's on the Camero, I don't know about Old Air.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
8door
Not too old to learn

Thanks for all the info.
My next step is to contact Vintage Air and get things rolling.