The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
Big Blue

Cab mount holes?

Does anyone have a GOOD front 78 Blazer cab mount? Mine are all rotted out of shape. I'm going to make 1/4 plates to place on the mount brackets. The RAD support ones are in great shape. SO can anyone tell me how big of hole I need to make?

Thanks John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
patgizz

i cant help with the size, however, for my 88 that had the holes all trashed out of shape from the rubber body mounts holding moisture and making them rust.... i took my new bushings to home depot and found a nice thick electrical box cover for a 220 outlet or something, with the perfect size hole in it. i just welded those over the egged out rusty holes and it worked perfect.
patgizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
Big Blue

Thanks patgizz, That could be my option. I have a guy who works at a steel fabrication place. So I'm gunna try him first.I have a 1981 frame,maybe they are the same??????

Thanks John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Truckstuff

Hey John
Is this the same Front Cab Mount that you have? If so the hole is aprox. 1.4220 Decimal Inches, between 1 27/64 and 1 7/16 . The 81 mount might be the same but the hole will be different.
Attached Images

Building: 1981 GM SB LowRider
1985 GM K3500 3+3
1981 GM K2500 SSB
1980 GM K2500 X-BC Hydro
1979 GM K3500 3+3
1976 GM K5 Blazer
1970 Custom 10
http://bc4x4.com/
Truckstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Big Blue

Thanks Truckstuff, The ones I'm looking for are from a 78 blazer. The one that the front part of the blazer cab sits on. I have however a 81 cab to sit on the 78 blazer frame. So i plan on buying mounts for the blazer since it is the frame i'm using. I took the cab from an 81 and plan on taking the rear cab support bracket off the 81 frame and placing it on the Blazer. This I hope will prevent me from fabbing one up.
Hope this is enough information you all need.

Thanks John

Old 03-30-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
Big Blue

I'm getting ready to send my plans to the fab guy. Does anyone have the measurement for the holes for the rad support and front bushing holes from a 78 blazer?? If these work out i'll post my diagram for others to see.

Thanks John

Old 04-12-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
Big Blue

Well I had someone make me my cab and Rad support brackets. Since mine were so rotted away. They are made from 1/4 plates. Fit nice toooooooooo. Just got to weld them in place. Hope pics come out.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63...8/IMAG0033.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63...8/IMAG0034.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63...8/IMAG0031.jpg

After looking at the photos...I NEED A NEWER CAMERA..

Thanks John

Last edited by Big Blue; 04-12-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:25 AM   #8
Big Blue

Just bringing it to the top. I think someone may be able to use something like these.

John

Old 04-16-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
Truckstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue
Just bringing it to the top. I think someone may be able to use something like these.

John
Here are the Pics. Looks like they will work just fine.
Attached Images

Building: 1981 GM SB LowRider
1985 GM K3500 3+3
1981 GM K2500 SSB
1980 GM K2500 X-BC Hydro
1979 GM K3500 3+3
1976 GM K5 Blazer
1970 Custom 10
http://bc4x4.com/

Last edited by Truckstuff; 04-16-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Truckstuff is offline   Reply With Quote