The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2005, 09:34 PM   #1
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Pic REQ: Under The Dash

Does anyone have picsture of under the dash mainly the fuse box and wires running from the Key Switch to it and anywhere else the Key Switch Wires go, I have 2 wires I have no idea where they go and I think that it is stopping my truck from running.
Striker169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
incoma

What color are your wires?
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #3
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Well see the thing is I dont think they are stock I might be wrong but they are 2 purple wires
Old 03-28-2005, 10:48 PM   #4
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Two purple wires... Hummmm, sounds like they might be the two purple wires that plug into the neutral safety switch that is fastened to the steering column down near the floor board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker169
Well see the thing is I dont think they are stock I might be wrong but they are 2 purple wires
Old 03-28-2005, 10:49 PM   #5
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocwon
Two purple wires... Hummmm, sounds like they might be the two purple wires that plug into the neutral safety switch that is fastened to the steering column down near the floor board.
well I will look at that tonight when I go by the garage to check on something, but what else could it possibly be?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
Castiron9
72 LONGHORN OWNER

I think mocwon is right,hope this helps..........trying out the new digital camera.............One for sure came out of switch Pic 1,,,,,,and ended up at the nuetral safety switch.............Pic2
Attached Images

70-C/30 DUALLY
Castiron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
REPO1
Shortbox wanna-be.

Purple are the starter wires out of the ignition switch. They connect to the neutral safety switch. You should be able to temorarily jump them together to get the truck to crank.
'97 Z28 (11.41@127MPH)
REPO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:49 PM   #8
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Yeah those look exactly like the neutral saftey switch the little plug and everything but I could have sworn it was plugged in Ill go run check it out.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:08 AM   #9
shifty
Questionable

CastIron9: Your camera should have something called "Macro mode". The button on your camera will look like a little flower, almost like the one from Super Mario Brothers that lets Mario shoot fireballs

If you use that button, you can shoot really close up stuff without it blurring out really bad.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:16 AM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

if it is plugged in, unplug it and jump the two together. That'll eliminate the switch from the no start issue.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:29 AM   #11
REPO1
Shortbox wanna-be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
CastIron9: Your camera should have something called "Macro mode". The button on your camera will look like a little flower, almost like the one from Super Mario Brothers that lets Mario shoot fireballs

If you use that button, you can shoot really close up stuff without it blurring out really bad.

Ya, like this.
Attached Images

REPO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:28 AM   #12
Striker169
Car O'Holic

OK so I plugged that in and jumped it both and it still didnt work

Well I took some pictures and they look like a mess because it is a mess but here they are:

These two purple wires that crimp into brown were the nutral saftey switch.

But what all needs power for the truck to turn over? is there a way I can ghetto rig it to start? And work my way from there seeing which parts do not get power?

And what is this?

Last edited by Striker169; 03-29-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:38 PM   #13
flip66

You need to reconnect the 2 purple wires with the blue connectors on them to each other it looks like some one might have put an engine kill on it. You could trace the brown wires connected to the purple wires and I would almost bet they go to the 2 relays in the picture. But the quick easy fix would be just reconnect the purples wire to each other by the key
Old 03-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #14
shifty
Questionable

Mmmmm looks like colored spaghetti.

I'll take some shots of mine at home. I just realized that the PO wired up the radio to a constant power source near the ignition (big red wire) instead of going to the "Radio" tab in the fusebox. Radio shorts out too when it rains (I got a leak somewhere, gotta find it).

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:03 PM   #15
Longhorn Man

Lets start at the basics here...
what happens when you turn the key to run?
How about when you try to crank it...a click? A hum...crickets chirping in the distance?
How old is the battery and how long has it set?

The pic on the fenderwell by the battery is two Bosh type relays that some one wired in to do something or another. You'll need to trace these and see WTH they are for. Hopefully, they are for the headlights...that'll be one less kick ass mod you'll need to do.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:18 PM   #16
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
Lets start at the basics here...
what happens when you turn the key to run?
How about when you try to crank it...a click? A hum...crickets chirping in the distance?
How old is the battery and how long has it set?

The pic on the fenderwell by the battery is two Bosh type relays that some one wired in to do something or another. You'll need to trace these and see WTH they are for. Hopefully, they are for the headlights...that'll be one less kick ass mod you'll need to do.

You know I believe that they are for the headlights becuase the headlights on this truck ****ing rock compaired to our jeep and my mustang. As for the turning of the key, both to run and to crank it doesnt do JACK **** no noise nothing just as you said crickets chirping. the battery was bought in november so it isnt that old I dont think that it would be bad and the headlights turn on and arnt dim or anything. It ran what 2 and a half weeks ago so it hasnt sat for that long.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:22 PM   #17
Longhorn Man

do the accesories work? Wipers? Heater blower? turn signals?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:40 PM   #18
Josh
He's got mean nasty FANGS!

For a quick check, take a screw driver (make sure truck is in park, or neutral w/wheels blocked if manual) and arc it from the main battery post to the s terminal (should be purple wire, not the yellow wire) on the starter, if it cranks, it's time ot start tracing all that spaghetti under the dash to determine what the previous owner screwed up.....
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
josh@67-72chevytrucks.com
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:51 PM   #19
pjmoreland

Was your truck working before and then just stopped working all of a sudden? Did you make any modifications between the time that it was working and when it stopped working?
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:22 PM   #20
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland
Was your truck working before and then just stopped working all of a sudden? Did you make any modifications between the time that it was working and when it stopped working?
No it was run around the block when I showed my friend, and then I parked it tryed to take it out the next saturday and no go, my brother had been in there but he said he didnt touch the wires so.... I dont konw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
do the accesories work? Wipers? Heater blower? turn signals?
The Lights work the Turn signals whipers cab light and electric fans I didnt try the heater blower though.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:24 PM   #21
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
For a quick check, take a screw driver (make sure truck is in park, or neutral w/wheels blocked if manual) and arc it from the main battery post to the s terminal (should be purple wire, not the yellow wire) on the starter, if it cranks, it's time ot start tracing all that spaghetti under the dash to determine what the previous owner screwed up.....

Where is that? Where is the s terminal?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:28 PM   #22
Josh

On your starter solenoid, there will be 3 wires (or 3 terminals) there will be 2 small ones and one large one, the large one is a constant hot hooked straight to the battery. then on the engine block side of the solenoid there will be one small terminal with a pruple wire on it, on the other side should be another terminal with a yellow wire on it. basically what you want to do is jumper the big battery connection to the lil purple wire (aka S terminal) on the starter, it should be labeled S but may or may not be readable easily... this it basically a quick simple check of your starter to see if the problem lies in the starter, or the wiring. I don't have any good pics showing all thist at the moment unfortunately....
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
Old 03-29-2005, 10:30 PM   #23
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
On your starter solenoid, there will be 3 wires (or 3 terminals) there will be 2 small ones and one large one, the large one is a constant hot hooked straight to the battery. then on the engine block side of the solenoid there will be one small terminal with a pruple wire on it, on the other side should be another terminal with a yellow wire on it. basically what you want to do is jumper the big battery connection to the lil purple wire (aka S terminal) on the starter, it should be labeled S but may or may not be readable easily... this it basically a quick simple check of your starter to see if the problem lies in the starter, or the wiring. I don't have any good pics showing all thist at the moment unfortunately....
Do you mean something that looks like this? (its off my mustang)

I cant seem to find that on the truck because I have heard about that trick but where is it?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:41 PM   #24
Josh

On a truck it's located on the starter itself, should be on passengers side of the engine. The solenoid on the fender is a ford only thing (one of the best ideas a ford engineer ever had...)
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
Old 03-29-2005, 11:22 PM   #25
shifty
Questionable

Does this help?