The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
Elsie72
Chinook Arch

Question Wheel Alignment questions

What would be a reasonable expectation of what kind of time it should take to get a truck aligned?

I just got my truck back from the alignment shop, and when it was all said and done, it took the tech 4.5 hrs to get the alignment done. Granted, I had pulled out both lower control arms, and the caster wasn't where it needed to be when I put the arms back on, and he needed to add quite the stack of shims to get the camber back to spec. I'm just wondering if that amount of time is typical, or if most shops could get the job done in much less time than that?

I give the shop a break, because I'd be very surprised if they see one lowered vehicle in 3 years, and the service manager only charged me 1.5hrs of labour.

On another note, are there solid spacers available anywhere to take the place of the large stacks of shims now residing between my frame and upper control arms? I'd feel a little more secure if the majority of the stack of shims was taken up with a solid spacer.

Elsie's truck
2.5" dual exhaust with Hooker Aero Chambers
Holley 670 Street Avenger Edelbrock Performer RPM on GMPP 290HP 350
ECE drop 3.5/5
Elsie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:16 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I can do one in 45 minutes worst case, even lowered.

Sounds like the guy was having a real bad day.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
Elsie72
Chinook Arch

LOL> Today when I popped the hood to check the oil, I found the tech's 1/2" and 9/16" Snap-On combination wrenches under the hood. Looks like I didn't lose as much money on the alignment as I originally thought.

Now I'm wondering what the hell he was doing under the hood with a couple of wrenches that don't fit on any front end component?

Thanks for your time estimate, TX. I think I'm going to have a talk to the service manager on Monday when I go back to return the wrenches. I think the boys down there need more training on wheel alignments.

Elsie's truck
ECE drop 3.5/5
Old 04-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The only thing you can do to get a single spacer to replace the shims is to make it or have it made by a local machinist. You'll have to pull them out and get an accurate measurement of the thickness as they are.

If you can't find anyone locally, I can make them for you, but we would have some mailing expense that way.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
Elsie72
Chinook Arch

I appreciate the offer, Longhair. I'm not sure if I'll go that route, I might at a later date, but for now, I'll drive the truck as-is, and keep an eye on things. I think that if the need arises, I will be able to find a local to do the job.

Elsie's truck
ECE drop 3.5/5
Old 04-05-2005, 12:03 AM   #6
tommie
97' Tahoe 2dr/2wd

4.5 hrs is a long time. i would be losing my ass if it took me that long on a truck;
we charge $39.95 for 2 wheel alignments; 1 hr labor.
tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
blazerparts
No,I DON'T have Tourett's

Is the carb the same one you drove in with? still have your hei?
blazerparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:17 AM   #8
68xxx

I had one guy spend a couple of hours on one of my cars and even then he said that he couldn't get it perfect unless I was prepared to pay by the hour.

I took it home and checked out the front end and discovered that the lower control arm bushes were shot so I replaced them and took it to another guy (my way of complaining about shonky work is to never give my business again) and it took him about 15 mins to get it perfect and I was watching the machine readout to make sure.

Just shows how inexperienced some of the "proffessionals" really are.

Now if I could only find a really cheap alignment machine and some shed space to put it in, then I could do them as well as everything else.

Mark.
68xxx is offline   Reply With Quote