The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
crosby

torch still not happy :(

I had a problem with my torch, which I believe I posted before. I start out with a little acetylene, light the torch, and as per the manual, add a little oxygen using the mixing valve on the torch end. As soon as I add the slightest bit of oxygen, the thing pops and goes out. It was doing this about a month ago, so I took it apart, and sent the handle and the cutting attachment out to be rebuilt. It came back last week, and the oxygen trigger works great now, and it looks new! But, it's still doing it... Maybe I'm doing something wrong? On the handle, there is an F on side for the hose attachment, and an O on the other. One is reverse thread, so I don't see how I could screw that up. The F is for "fuel" right, the acetylene? And the O is for oxyen, right? I set it up with about 2 (pounds?) of acetylene, and 20 (pounds?) of oxygen, again, per the manual (roughly). I cleaned out the tip (brand new), and did the same thing three times. Any ideas? I am starting on a new frame, and really need to get this thing working. Thanks very much for any help you guys can provide.
crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
Lynx

I usualy use about 5 pounds of A but its a personal pref as long as you keep it low. You say you use a little bit of A the add O. What you need to do is light the A and bring it up untill there is very little black smoking comming off THEN add your O.

Not sure if thats your prolbem but hope it helps.

1983 Silverado SWB 305
2002 Silverado Extended Cab 5.3
http://members.shaw.ca/bkennett

Last edited by Lynx; 04-03-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
79C10

ya sounds like you need more acetelyne before your add your oxygen
79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
gn4u2c
Account Suspended

more gas low and roll the oxygen in slow.
gn4u2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
crosby

I talked to a guy here at work who thinks maybe I should bleed the lines out in case there's any air in there. You can't imagine how carefully I am adding the oxygen at the mixing valve, and it just pops and goes out. Thanks for the help guys! I am sure I will figure it out eventually.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #6
Hemikiller

Normally you fire the acetylene, then open it more until it stops producing soot. At that time you can slowly feed in the oxygen.

If it still pops, it may be time for a new tip or you may need to adjust the pressure on the regulators.....

Present Stable:
73 C-30 CrewCab Dually 4X2
91 4X2 'burban
89 4X4 'burban
84 4x2 'burban (R.I.P.)

Last edited by Hemikiller; 04-04-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Hemikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
crosby

Hi Hemikiller, thanks for the message. The tip is new, and the whole torch was just rebuilt, so it should be okay. I think maybe you guys are right, I need to use more acetylene. I am going downstairs to try it right now. Just put the kids to bed... Thanks, have a good one!
Old 04-04-2005, 10:10 PM   #8
crosby

I just tried it again, 6 lbs of acetylene did the trick. I just wasn't using enough. Is it okay to use a torch inside (my garage)? My garage is under my house. I am wondering if the gases would build up in a confined space.. stupid question, but I'd prefer not to blow my house up like some guy did on route 4. You should see it, nothing left of his garage but a few black embers. It is very sobering to drive by. I don't know what happened, but I hope he was okay. Maybe a space heater or something. I am way off topic now. Sorry guys, thanks again for all of your help.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:15 AM   #9
Phuloi68

Glad to see you figured it out. When you first posted it in Feb. I mentioned use between 5-7 lbs act. Anyway, act. is a heavier then air gas and will hang around. So make sure you have no leaks and you shut your tanks and bleed your system. You can tell if you have a leak if you shut your tank and have the torch off your gauge will loose pressure. If there isn't a leak, the pressure will hold (not indefinately) till you bleed it off. Act. gas can be dangerous if left to accumulate in a space. Also, when cutting, make sure you know where the sparks and slag are going. You could have a fire.
Also, sometimes people use the oxy. to blow dust or dirt off themselves. This can be very dangerous also, if they get near a flame.
Just use some good common sense and a torch can be a handy tool to use. Just make sure you have a fire extinguisher near. Especially, if using it in an attached garage.

Indy survivor
Norwood survivor
Big Sandy survivor

for those who fight for it...
F R E E D O M
has a price the protected
will never know.
Phuloi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:49 AM   #10
crosby

Thanks Phuloi, a fire extinguisher is definitely next. I had a little fire in my snowblower a week or two ago, that made me think that might not be a bad investment. We have a garage under, which is probably even more sensitive than an attached garage, I guess. Anyhow, most of what I need to cut is outside right now, and I could always open a garage door for a little while to vent the space. I am hoping to get a half decent MIG welder this summer and learn how to use that. Then I will be dangerous
Old 04-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #11
1976K5CHALET

I run my oxy at 40...and the acy at 10....light acy and turn it up till the smoke goes away and then start adding oxy via the knob on the cutting torch handle until you can see the inner blue flame get nice and long...after a couple of attempts you'll learn how far to go before you will knock the flame out...also keep the torch tip holes clean and to help with that don't get the tip any closer than you have to when cutting...the blue wrench is the best damn tool in the garage...lol.

DW
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #12
87_Blazer
Getcha' Pull!!!

whaen i am cutting i use between 8 to 10 acet. and 40 to 50 oxy. But then i am also cutting 3/8. glad to hear you got er workin!!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:52 PM   #13
Ltd4wheel

Now that the cut thorch works, do you have check valves on the hose lines. They will get the flame from back feeding to the tanks if something should go wrong.

I don't need no stinking garage!
Ltd4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #14
Opper77
Ob-Gyn Kenobi

5lb acetylene is plenty..... you can cut 12" of steel with 8lb acetylene, 70 lb oxygen and the proper size of tip. I would find a chart from the manufacturer and set it according to TIP SIZE, which is the determining factor in gas pressures. Anything more than that is a waste. Also, a couple people above have stated that they use 10 lb acetylene.....be advised that 15 lb is the MAXIMUM SAFE WORKING pressure for acetylene (as a professional welder, I have NEVER had to use more than 9 lb for anything...EVER...and I have cut steel upwards of 12" thick) and at 21 lb acetylene is unstable and can spontaneously explode.

A torch is not something to be taken lightly. Figure out your tip size and set accordingly, or it WILL bite you in the ass eventually.

I used to have a firm handle on life....then it broke off.
Opper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #15
barn9
Half a bubble off!

I ran a steel and welding supply business for 10 years, and always told people to set their pressures at 6 and 60 (acetylene/oxygen), then adjust the oxygen if needed, depending on what you are cutting. On my sets, it pretty much stays at 6/60 for everything. As long as the torch and guages are in good condition, those settings should get the job done in most cases. And Opper77 makes a good point on the safety issues concerning acetylene also. Something else to remember, is to NEVER use any kind of oil, or petroleum based product, on any connections, or anything else pertaining to either the regulators or torch, NEVER!

Last edited by barn9; 04-07-2005 at 03:09 PM.
barn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #16
Phuloi68

For those who use a torch and haven't been trained, pay close attention to what the last 2 posts said. They know what they are talking about. A torch can be a very useful tool or it can be a firey bomb. Sparks fly, slag falls...
From reading some of the posts about pressure settings some use, they aren't cutting, they are melting.
Cutting with a torch takes practice and GOOD SAFETY.
I've worked with craftsmen who could make a torch cut look almost like a saw cut. It's kind of an art form. Those of you who use a torch know what I mean.

Indy survivor
Norwood survivor
Big Sandy survivor

for those who fight for it...
F R E E D O M
has a price the protected
will never know.
Phuloi68 is offline   Reply With Quote