The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
TomShilling

Wink Rhino or Line-x? and do it 1st or Last?

In process of prepping for paint... and what about the bed? I have some minor surface rust, and want to go with something other than a plastic black sandbox. Should I do the bed before I paint the cab and sides, or after? And when I do the bed, which is best: Line-X or Rhino?

As always, I lok forward to reading the plus and minus side from your experience. Thanks all!
TomShilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
nu2-72

Just had Line-X done on my 04.
Comparison;
Line-X / Rhino
Sprayed hot / Sprayed cold
Glossy textured finish / Very dull flat finish
Very precise application / Looks sloppy to me
Dries in like 3-5 seconds / Had runs and icicles

I am very pleased with my Line-X. Do it after the paint. Whichever you choose, the paint acts as an extra sealer and bonding agent. Line-X requires any damaged vehicle to go through the body shop and be finished before application. You will also want the bed on the frame if it is not. Remember that they will spray everywhere and you do not want to apply the bed bolts after it is sprayed.
This is just my opinion and I am new to the liner. But so far I have hauled tires and wheels, several loads of firewood, table saw and more with excellent results.
Many people at work have commented on the Line-X over Rhino.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide

Last edited by nu2-72; 04-07-2005 at 08:54 PM.
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

This one of those posts that will start a pissing contest

I have Rhino-liner on both of my trucks, and in the cab of one, and I love it. A construction company I worked for a while back had Line-xed the flat beds and a few boxes and it held up very well, was very grainy though like sandpaper.

As far as the sloppy application that is the person runnin' the gun, as well as the masking, and not the product. All Rhino-liner dealers are privately owned and operated, so as with anything you can get a good job or sh!t depending on the quality of the shop and its employees.

I suggest you get some references from customers of the particular shops you are lookin at using, and see if they are happy with the install as well as the product.

I did both of my trucks after the paint was done, that way I didn't waste all that paint in the bed I would not apply anything over fresh paint until it has had a chance to gas off and cure (roughly 30 days). If you seal the paint with a rubber liner it could cause some peeling and release issues. The factory can get away with it because they bake their trucks during the paint process.

Just my $.02

Last edited by screamin_c102; 04-07-2005 at 09:01 PM.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
jamesi20

I had line-x put in my Dodge ram in 2002. I have had everything imagineable in the bed of this truck... spilled gasoline,tranny fluid from haulin junk motors and transmissions around,motor oil,just about every kind of nasty liquids you can think of.A trip to the car wash bay,hose it out with the high pressure soap and rinse,looks as good as the day I put it in.
jamesi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
Ironhorse

I went with the Line-ex on my '71 4x4 after looking at Rhino and the do it your self roll on. In my eyes I just thought the Line-ex looked so much better than the Rhino and after hearing horror stories about the do it your self rollo on's I decided the money I was spending on my restore I didn't want something I would not be satisfied with.

I watched the entire process from the masking prep to the actual spray on of the product. Line-ex goes on HOT and sticks like glue. Cools rather quickly and after two years looks like it was applied yesterday. I have seen Rhino linings which seem dull in appearance after 6 months. My truck does sleep in a covered shed but my vote still goes to Line-ex.

My Line-ex was done AFTER the paint job on the truck and went on with out a hitch. I even had the rear step bumper sprayed which made a nice touch on the diamond tread surface. Line-ex is pricey as is Rhino ($420) plus $70 for the bumper, seems as I was quoted $450 by Rhino, don't remember for sure.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Line-x

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
72longbed
Account Suspended

Exclamation

Take the time and look for a VORTEX Spray-On Liner dealer. VORTEX has been recognized by the Spray Liner industry and independant sources as the toughest liner available today. Many 'write-ups' in TRUCKIN' magazine and others that compare all the major competitors and VORTEX out performs all the rest.
Can't chip it off with your fingernail like Rhino, Reflex, Speedy, etc.. Has a lot to do with the patented chemical mixture. The SPEEDCHANNEL recently adopted VORTEX as the ONE and ONLY bedliner company that they will endorse and feature.

There is NO tougher liner than VORTEX, period!!

72longbed

Last edited by 72longbed; 04-07-2005 at 10:44 PM.
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:48 AM   #8
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

I did Line-x in my 02 Sierra and love it. I had it sprayed over the top of the bed so it won't scratch the top of the bed. Looks like it did when I had it put on. I think it looks better than the Rhino in the long run. Rhino seems to fade.
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:02 AM   #9
C10 Club Tennessee

I'm going with the Rhino when I get my truck back. Now that's because I have $365 worth of gift certificates from Christmas. I'm going to have mine done the color of the truck.

My question on all these guys that said it faded. Was the truck garaged kept or not? I was just wondering.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:19 AM   #10
ChevyDude

Had both.....Line-X is better...period!

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:17 AM   #11
vtblazer

Liners

Yeah, gotta go with the concenses here...Line-ex.

Had it in two trucks and it held up to everything I did to it.

To me, Rhino liner has that "cottage cheese" look.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:34 AM   #12
chevybill

Talking A dissenting vote

I have had the rhino lining in a truck for 5 years now and it has stood up excellent to oils, grease, diesel, rolls of barb wire and metal fence posts.

Application quality depends on the person spraying, and my guy done an excellent job on masking, prep and spraying.

Line x was no where to be found in my local area 5 years ago, so I cannot
address that liner.

If it has faded any at all, it is such a little amount that I have not noticed it.

Any product that is made by man is going to wear in some form or fashion.

I do know rhino is a truly non skid surface even when wet.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:41 AM   #13
Lemield

I've had both and I like the Line-X best. I agree with Screamin_c10 though....it has lot to do with who applies it and how good they prep the surface. I've seen Rhino liners that look and work fine. The truck that I had it in must not have been prepped very well since it seemed prone to peeling. They do have a lifetime warranty though.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #14
CHEVYE
my gas saver

i've seen both from a couple of diff. store locations. linex has killed the rhino everytime....... period.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #15
nu2-72

screamin c10, the gentleman asked for opinions and I gave mine. I looked at everything out there. Line-X, Rhino, ArmaCoat, you name it. I also looked at older applications. Line-X blew them away. Again this is my opinion.
But to say that this kind of post will start pissing match is like saying to me that guns kill people. People kill people with guns, and knives and so on.
This forum is for asking questions just like this. And if answered with reason and backed up with fact or opinion, great. Just remember that most of us are asking questions and expect answers from mostly total strangers. Be honest and do not blow smoke. Tell me why you like something or not. Not what your ex-brother-in-law heard some guy at the gas station say.
All liners will fade or oxidize to some degree. The colors are worse.
And quality body shops that I use all bake the paint like the factory so time was not an issue.
You state that you did yours after the paint to save paint in the bed. I assume this is a typo or you did not paint beyond the outside of the body? Just primer in the bed?
All opinions are welcome and I won't wet my leg.
And it's 9-Line-x / 3-Rhino and 1- Vortex. But who's counting? LOL
2011 Harley Street Glide
Old 04-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #16
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

I was just messing around when I mentioned the pissing contest. Kinda like Pepsi vs. Coke or Miller vs Budweiser.

He had mentioned he was prepping for paint and I just figured I would throw in the cure time for his benefit.

Yeah, I opted to put only two coats in the bed and used what I saved on the exterior metal.

I wasn't blowing any smoke, and I don't recall bringing my ex-whatever into it either.

I have two trucks done in Rhino-liner and have dealt with alot of Line-xed trucks, which I stated held up extremely well.

I believe that my post reflects that I have Rhino and I like it, and that I have worked around Line-x and I liked it.

So therefore my vote was... (1) line-x and (1) rhino and (0) piss poor installation.

I wasn't bashing you or your opinion at all, I just answered his question with personal experience....

Oh, I get it, my post count says less than 1,000 so therefore my opinion doesn't hold any water right?

I
Old 04-08-2005, 10:34 PM   #17
nu2-72

My post count is under 26,000. My opinion doesn't count either.
Besides, it doesn't matter if your opinion holds water, just if your bladder does. (pissing match) Sorry.
Chill, take a joke and LOL means I don't even know your brother-in-law.
Wanna try the chicken or the egg debate?
2011 Harley Street Glide
Old 04-08-2005, 10:38 PM   #18
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

egg......chicken......Doh!!! you win !!!
Old 04-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #19
72longbed
Account Suspended

Smile Keepin' it Fun!

I heard that opinions are like a$$holes...... everybody has one, but its the loudest ones that stink the most!!

Just trying to lighten things up a bit.

Here's another rendition: Opinions are like a$$ho!es........ everybody has their own, but should'nt necessarily share it with the guy next to them!

Opinions and experience are all good, its how we learn and grow and make decisions. Sometimes an opinion can save you from learning the 'hard way'.

I value the opinions and knowledge that we all share on this Board, I've learned a lot from all of it.

Thanks,
72longbed
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:08 PM   #20
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72longbed
I heard that opinions are like a$$holes...... everybody has one, but its the loudest ones that stink the most!!

Just trying to lighten things up a bit.

Here's another rendition: Opinions are like a$$ho!es........ everybody has their own, but should'nt necessarily share it with the guy next to them!

Opinions and experience are all good, its how we learn and grow and make decisions. Sometimes an opinion can save you from learning the 'hard way'.

I value the opinions and knowledge that we all share on this Board, I've learned a lot from all of it.

Thanks,
72longbed

Old 04-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #21
nu2-72

72longbed, I think this has been light. Or lite.
It is very hard to read someone on here that you do not know personally.
This has all been in fun.
But remember, opinions are alot like fables. Some are based on fantasy and some on fact. By that I mean, some people base opinions on personal experience while others base opinions on what they have heard. We all know if you tell a joke at a party, you will hear it again later but it has changed. Everyone adds a little or subtracts a little from it.
When I ask a question like this I want to hear everyones opinion. But the ones that carry the most weight to me are the ones based in fact. Not the "brother-in-law heard at the gas station from a guy two cars over opinion."
That's all I meant and I have Line-X.
Sorry to hijack this. I hope you make the choice for you.
2011 Harley Street Glide
Old 04-10-2005, 12:12 AM   #22
Nixon

Long story short. Line-X. It all I'll use. It covers my 2003 King Ranch Ford F-150 bed and the fenders and tank on my 2000 Harley Fatboy. Rhino black is not bad but I believe the Hot process of Line-X makes a better liner. Rhino of any color has had fading problems unless they have fixed it. A buddy of mine with a red truck and red Rhino bedliner now has a red truck and a pinkish yellow white bedliner from Rhino. My Line-X guy will admit that the brighter colors will sun fade. They have a maroon color, dark brown and forest green that holds the color almost as good as black. I would stay away from the liner called Bulletproof. Its not, and not only fades but oxidizes so badly that when it rains or you wash your truck, if you have over the rail coverage it will leave black streaks down the sides of your ride. Also putting anything in the bed will be suseptable to black marks.
LINE-X . . . . LINE-X . . . . LINE-X
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote