The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2002, 01:27 AM   #1
chevyhouse
BEER-Vacation in a can...

anybody from wichita??

I just got out of the navy and have been hired by Cessna in Wichita as an Avionics Tech so i was wondering if anybody knows anything about the area. i will probably be rolling through there to check it out in the next few weeks so anybody have any advice on what to see etcetcetc. thanks, kurt
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom

For Sale-87' V10-4x4, 408/700r4, 4.10's PM for pics
chevyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:46 AM   #2
supercheyenne

It's flat and it gets hot in the summer. Humid and hot like much of Florida (although not as humid usually). Imagine a north Texas if you will.

Cost of living is fairly reasonable. The trucks rust here because we salt the roads during winter. Probably about 2 weeks of snow on the ground in a average year, but it's cold at least 3 months.

The river going through town is called the little arKANSAS. Not the little arkansaw. If you see the name Koch (trust me you will), it's pronounced Coke. Your moms sister is called your ant, not your aunt.

Cessna's a nice company (I've worked there). You will be working on the west side of town (Wallace Plant) more than likely. I worked at the east plant (Pawnee Plant).

You'll hear legendary type stuff about Boeing. Don't fall for it. Yeah it pays better. Yeah you don't have to work as hard. Yeah it's air conditioned. But you'll get laid off about every 3rd year.

Women here like it when you walk around with your willie hangin out. I'm serious! Just seein if your paying attention.

Depends what you like. You'll never mistake this place for LA or NY. But then again it's not quite Bum Phuk Egypt either (close though).

Lots of golf, religion, crystal meth, heat, flatness, wind, more heat, guys walking around with their willies hanging out, aircraft industries, more wind, goofy streets around the river (you'll see what I mean), oil derriks, Ummmm I'm drawing a blank.

Not very much............... Lakes (I'm talking real lakes), auto industries, custom car shops, poon tang (unless your willies hangin out), girls in bikini's (you're in the middle of Kansas for gods sake!!), late night action (get your mind out of the gutter), Ummmm I'm drawing a blank.

Enjoy your stay, it's probably more like central florida than you think.
supercheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 09:09 AM   #3
Cheyenne Super

I used to live there..

.. and every time I go back, I am like a kid in a candy store. There are plenty of custom cars and trucks running around. The reason there aren't many custom shop is b/c Wichita is a "do-it-yourself" place. Until recently the majority of the people that had custom cars built them them self. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could.
Cheyenne Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
chevyhouse
BEER-Vacation in a can...

i am not to worried about being in "bum phuk eygpt" since i was born and raised in bum phuk north dakota.....that is one of the reasons i am going to the area, closer to home and more my type of folks. i am not going to be working in the plants, i will be working at the citation service center.
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom

For Sale-87' V10-4x4, 408/700r4, 4.10's PM for pics
chevyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 11:01 AM   #5
davidson2100

I used to live there also

I agree with Cheyenne, I would move back in a heartbeat. Cesna employs a lot of people from my old home town Cheney and they seem to like the company a lot so good luck. I know a someone in a small town around there that does good paint and body on these old trucks if you are ever interested.
davidson2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 12:10 PM   #6
barn9
Half a bubble off!

I live 45 miles away, but I agree with the other posts. Several members in the area. If you're around, there will be a truck/car show here in Winfield on Sun., June 23rd at the fairgrounds. I'll post some more info here shortly about it. Welcome to the area!
Old 06-09-2002, 12:34 PM   #7
Stroker

chevyhouse, I've lived in Wichita my whole life 42 years, if you have any questions let me know. My dad retired from Cessna I think he worked there for 35 years or so. davidson2100 Tell me more about the paint and body work contact you have. I will probably be to that point before to long.
Old 06-09-2002, 03:37 PM   #8
supercheyenne

Quote:
Originally posted by chevyhouse
i am not going to be working in the plants, i will be working at the citation service center.
HEHE the plants are not "buildings", they are "sites". You will be working at the Wallace Plant.

The good news is I think the Service Center is air conditioned, but I reserve the right to be wrong on that. Your also going to work that odd shift stuff. Some people love it, others hate it. We'll soon know which side your on.
supercheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 05:07 PM   #9
chevy72402
FARMER/RANCHER

Born there

I was born in Witchita when my dad used to work for boeing and cessna. Does that count? lol

1972 Chevy Blazer 2wd, tach, tilt, a/c, my first engine overhauling experience, Orange, with white top

2006 Gmc Sierra, XM, Z-71, dark blue, onstar, leather, rear entertainment (audio only) heated seats, (the wife loves that feature) upgraded tires immediately after purchase to Goodyear Wrangler AT/S (hate those rock throwers that come from the factory)
BWC
chevy72402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 05:13 PM   #10
Zurbo

I live in Bel Aire which is just off the NNE edge of Wichita. Been here for 7 years and love it!
Old 06-09-2002, 08:04 PM   #11
davidson2100

Paint and body

Stroker, the place is in Garden Plain about 20 minutes from the west side of Wichita on 54. He may seem pricy at first, but he can be talked down and you can give my name also. Email me if you want to know more. davidson2100@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Todd Davidson
davidson2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 11:21 PM   #12
Stroker

davidson2100, I used to have a fishing lease for a pond just west of Garden Plain about 10 years ago. I'll email you for some details Monday. Thanks...Stroker