The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

Somethin Really bad just happened

I was rippin down the highway in my shortbox and a frost plug blew out of the block and pumped all of my antifreeze out by the time i looked at the temp gauge(aftermarket) it was at like 250 F, you guys think this was high enough temp to ruin the engine? it wasn't really hot underneath when i popped the hood and the motor was still running fine when i shut it down, just hope i didn't cook the rings.
80 GMC K10 High Sierra bone stock
70 Chevelle 350SS long term project
68 GMC 3ton Grain Truck/Garbage wagon
50 Pontiac 2 Door Coupe Project
"I've got a shotgun rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank Jr.
Blue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
TugOwar

I wouldn't think the engine is hurt at all, unless it ran quite a long time at that temp. 250 isn't that high really. I threw a belt on my old truck once and it got that hot or hotter before I noticed. I installed the spare belt and she purred right on down the road.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
barn9
Half a bubble off!

I would think you are OK if you didn't run it too long. Hopefully it's a fix and go for ya.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

Should be alright. Newer engines with aluminum heads can't take the heat but the old cast iron engines can usually take it.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:04 PM   #5
Alex Hayley

What can one do to ensure the frost plugs do not pop out of the block?
Alex Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:17 PM   #6
krue
Designated A-hole!

Tap them and put pipe plugs in.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 04-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #7
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue
Tap them and put pipe plugs in.

SOUNDS LIKE A
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:32 PM   #8
krue
Designated A-hole!

I don't know where I heard of it, probably on here somewhere.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 04-09-2005, 10:33 PM   #9
ed455
Captain Ed

A lot of racers pin them.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:47 PM   #10
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hayley
What can one do to ensure the frost plugs do not pop out of the block?

i know the common name is frost plug, or freeze plug... but has anyone ever seen one actully pop out when the water in the block freezes?

i thought i heard somwhere there actully meant for removing the sand from the casting process when the blocks are made... has anyone else ever heard that?
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:54 PM   #11
patrick66
crazy about dem trucks!

You want them to pop on a driver! They are there to keep the block from cracking if the coolant freezes (hence the term "freeze plug"). If you tap the hole and put in a pipe nut, you're certainly asking for trouble down the road somewhere. Plus, when the truck is hot, it'll blow the plug out, in many cases, instead of the top tank on your radiator.

Put in a new freezr plug and drive on! If you keep the coolant good in your engine, you won't have the corrosion that the plugs get, too, and that weakens them. Brass plugs are the best way to go. No rust corrosion, and they'll still do the job they're supposed to.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:59 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have also heard the sand removal thing.
I have heard of putting some lock tight on them as you drive them in.
I blew one when I froze a 350 a few years ago, but that is a good point, they normally don't go untill the block has already cracked.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:59 PM   #13
Rod

grab block heater / freeze plug..it will go in easily, basically they hook in like a drywall screw mount....quick fix that way.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 11:08 PM   #14
ed455
Captain Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick66
You want them to pop on a driver! They are there to keep the block from cracking if the coolant freezes (hence the term "freeze plug"). If you tap the hole and put in a pipe nut, you're certainly asking for trouble down the road somewhere. Plus, when the truck is hot, it'll blow the plug out, in many cases, instead of the top tank on your radiator.
Actually, that is an urban myth. They were designed for the removal of casting sand. If your block freezes one out, I guarantee the block is cracked.
Since water expands in ALL directions when it freezes there would have to be inner plugs as well (in the lifter valley) to stand a chance at protecting from freezing. Ironically, under the intake manifold is the most common place for a block to freeze crack.

F*rd used threaded pipe plug in a few applications (Boss 302's if I remember) and they worked fine. Many people have retrofitted marine engines with threaded plugs instead of pressed in plugs.

Another thing that works for some people is to put a little locktite on the plug.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:02 AM   #15
pritch

I've had a couple blocks freeze up on me, and never once did they crack any where near the closest freeze plug.

The brass one's are originally for marine motors, brass corrodes less in salt water, you may have to look in a boat shop to find them, and like anything connected with boats, the price will be 4 to 6 times what it is actually worth.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:27 AM   #16
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

My first experience with cracked block was a 348 in a 58 chevy. My buddy forgot to put anti=freeze in the motor and it cracked in a horizontal line down both sides of the block. It never blew out any of the freeze plugs either. We tried a couple of things to fix it, putting fiberglas on the block and then drilling a hole an inch apart the length of the crack and tapping it and putting a 1/4 inch bolt in each hole and welding between each bolt. A pro did the welding but none of these things worked. I think brass freeze plugs are overated. For the most part freeze plugs are a non issue in engines so I never worry about them if they look OK. I just never had any trouble with them.
VetteVet

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:32 AM   #17
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch
I've had a couple blocks freeze up on me, and never once did they crack any where near the closest freeze plug.

The brass one's are originally for marine motors, brass corrodes less in salt water, you may have to look in a boat shop to find them, and like anything connected with boats, the price will be 4 to 6 times what it is actually worth.
BRASS FREEZE PLUGS ARE SUPER COMMON. THE NICE PART ABOUT BRASS IS IT DOESN'T RUST LIKE THE STEEL ONES. THEY ARE ABOUT $11 AT SUMMIT OR JEGS, OR ANYWHERE THAT SELLS FREEZE PLUGS COMPARED TO ABOUT $9 FOR STEEL ONES & THEY ARE ABOUT 13 OR 14 PIECES, SO THEY DON'T REALLY SEEM EXPENSIVE AT ALL. WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYBODY USE THE STEEL ONES WHEN THE BRASS ONES ARE ONLY A COUPLE OF DOLLARS MORE?? . I CAN UNDERSTAND G.M. s THINKING (SAVE $2 PER 50 MILLION) BUT WHY ANYBODY REPAIRING THEM?? I'VE NEVER USED LOCKTITE ON THEM, BUT I HAVE USED THE AIRCRAFT SEALER THATS MADE BY LOCKTITE, THAT I USE ON HEADBOLTS. I MAKE SURE THE HOLES ARE VERY CLEAN & HIT THEM WITH EMORY CLOTH, & DRIVE THEM IN WITH A AIR HAMMER. 99 HOLES OUT OF 100 NEVER LEAK. AS FAR AS BRASS F/P BEING OVERATED?? WELL THATS ABOUT AS SILLY AS SAYING YOU HAVE TO GET THEM AT A BOAT SHOP. RUST ON STEEL F/P COVERS ABOUT 95% OF THE FAILURE, & FOR ABOUT $2 MORE A SET YOU CAN AVOID THIS SITUATION. F/Ps ARE A WHOLE LOT EASIER TO REPLACE WHEN THE ENGINE IS ON THE STAND, THAN IT IS WHEN IT'S IN THE TRUCK. BUT THEN AGAIN THATS JUST MY OPINION, & WHO KNOW SOME PEOPLE MAY JUST WANT TO SAVE THAT $2 & ENJOY REPLACING THEM AFTER THE MOTOR IS INSTALLED (ESPECIALLY THE ONES IN BETWEEN THE BLOCK & TRANNY BELLHOUSING. IF I LET A BLOCK FREEZE & CRACK, I WOULD BE MUCH TO EMBARASSED TO EVER TELL ANYONE ABOUT IT. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 04-10-2005 at 12:11 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #18
junkyardjohn

I'VE HEARD THE SAND REMOVAL THEORY TOO , & IT MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS ANYTING ELSE I'VE HEARD. DEPENDING ON WITCH FREEZE PLUG FAILED, IT MIGHT BE EASIER TO JUST PULL THE MOTOR. IF IT FAILED BECAUSE OF RUST.... (THEY RUST FROM THE INSIDE & A GOOD WAY TO CK. IF THEY ARE ROTTON IS TO TRY TO PUSH A PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWDRIVER THRU THEM. THE OTHER ONES WILL BE READY TO GO TOO. IF IT WERE ME... I'D CHECK EM ALL. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 04-10-2005 at 12:31 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:24 PM   #19
Robert1970C20rstbukt

When you put a new one in make sure you buy the brass ones, not the steel ones. You can get 'em at any parts store. Autozone, Oreillys, NAPA, etc.

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck 454/SM465
1977 GMC C15 pickup 350/TH350
1970 Chevrolet C20 pickup 350/TH400
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 454/TH350
1969 GMC 8500 478M V6/5 spd winch truck
Robert1970C20rstbukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:56 PM   #20
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I always use brass ones too, they will out-live the engine as long as they stay in.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote