The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
docscantlin

HELP. Can't remove pass. side front brake fitting from brake hose (C-30-'83)

Gentlemen,
I can't seem to get at the fitting inside the frame attaching the brake line to the brake hose on the front passenger side of my 1983 C-30. There are too many brake lines and fuel pump hoses. Do I need to remove all these to get my hand up in there? I feel like just cutting out the line and hose and remounting them on the outside of the frame. Any suggestions?
Kind regards,
Doc Scantlin
docscantlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

I know what you mean. It's very tight up in there. I got to mine from underneath the truck without removing anything. I went out and bought a set of flare nut wrenches. I didn't want to take a chance of rounding off the flare nut on the brake line. I believe the flare nut is metric. After spraying it down, I was able to break the flare nut loose. I then used an open-end wrench to finish removing it.

The retaining nut that secures the brake hose to the frame is just as tough. I used the mouth of an adjustable wrench to remove it. Fortunately, the threads were clean and came out with too much trouble.

Good luck.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #3
Prerunner1982

i just delt with this, to get the retaining nut off i took a flat head screw driver and used it to turn the nut. After getting the retaining nut off there should be enough extra line to allow the brake line to go through the hole in the frame. Then you can access it through the wheel well which has far more room. I ended up having to buy all new line as i still couldnt get mine disconnected even after removing them both from the truck.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

The fitting is 3/8, mine wanted to round and twist the line even with the line wrench. I cut mine on the outside of the frame close up to the frame. Ground it down some, knocked it back thur the frame and took the flat metal nut loose and what was left of the female part of the fitting from the line. Put the flat metal nut back on the line and the brake line back thur the outside of the frame. Tightened it up some then got the rubber line strait as possible and then tightened it up all the way and finished installing it. Then all that is left is to tighten the flat metal nut and bleed the brakes.

Last edited by MylilBowTie; 04-10-2005 at 08:29 PM.
MylilBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
cobb_ben

A lot of the time the nut will rust to the line. So if you want to save the hose just get dikes and cut the line next to the nut. Then you can take a 6pt socket and it will come loose really easy.
Ben
cobb_ben is offline   Reply With Quote