The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #1
R@nger
Psalm 23

Oil pressure gauge

I was wondering why my oil pressure gauge wasn't working so I got out my flashlight and poked my head under the dash. Amazingly the reason it's not working is because *drum roll* it's not hooked up .

My question is, what do I need to setup it back up, and how do I set it back up?

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy
R@nger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Basically, where the electronic oil sensor was on my block, I had to get a fitting and line that would screw into the place of the electronic sensor, route that through the firewall, into the cab, then attach to the back of the gauge. It's important to use a good line and fittings and make sure there aren't any sharp edges on the firewall to split, slice or fray the line; last thing you want is hot oil spraying inside the interior of your truck

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
R@nger
Psalm 23

Yeah I think I'll go with some sort of braided line.

This may be a really n00b question but where exactly is my oil sensor?

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy
Old 04-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
PMS

Oil senders are for lights in the dash. It is a spring contact that at a pre-set pressure will let the dash light come on. I have heard at about 5 psi but I could be wrong.
PMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
Sweet72

Oil sending unit is just behind the intake manifold on drivers side. The orig oil pressure gauge is a direct reading instrument that taps into the same location and uses a metal line (copper I think) routed through the firewall to the gauge cluster. Some folks don't like the idea of routing the oil line into the cab nowdays.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:28 PM   #6
Low69CST

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@nger
Yeah I think I'll go with some sort of braided line.

This may be a really n00b question but where exactly is my oil sensor?
Are you using an original gauge? What do you get to seal up right and use a braded line? The original brass line took a funny looking fitting.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

On the inline 6 (not sure what you got), it's on the passenger's side by the starter. If you drew a line from the oil dipstick up to the #6 plug, it would rest in between. Here's a pic of my electric sensor (I replaced it) on my old engine - the pinky on that hand is pointed at the hole it goes in:

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 04-13-2005 at 10:34 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:52 PM   #8
R@nger
Psalm 23

small block 350 V8 is what I have.

I got the idea of a braided line from a couple places online...it seemed like a good idea because it would be flexible.

When I got the truck there was a thin metal tube going through my firewall...thing was it was cut on either side of the firewall. I'm thinking someone cut it and got to lazy to just pull the little piece of tube out.

Shifty is there any way I could make mine electrontic, or would that require me to get a new oil pressure gauge. At the moment the stock one is in there. Seems like a whole lot easier to just run a wire to the gauge as apposed to running a whole pipe up to it.

Last edited by R@nger; 04-13-2005 at 11:00 PM.