The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
beenydu
Got Jesus?

Question Column Shifter Problems - Please help: I am frustrated

I have a '71 C-10 Deluxe and I replaced the steering column with a manual 3 speed today. Here is my dilemma. In the yard sitting still, you can change the gears ok. When you start out on the road, it hangs between 1-2 gear. You are stuck in 1st gear until you get out and move it under the hood. Please help. I am scraping the bottom of my bucket. Thank you!
beenydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
aurorable

Sounds like the linkage bushings are worn and also the trans shifter arm bushings. Mine does the same thing at times. Just another reason that I'm getting ready to go to an automatic......
aurorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
Harold Shepard

There is some adjustment at the shift arm's lower connection point in the engine compartment on the column itself,7/16 bolt I think- you have to loosen and move the arms forward to tighten the mechanism, the bolt at or above the bearing will take some of the slop out but this generally does not fix the problem, every three speed column I have owned needed a shift tube and or new bushings as well.

Last edited by Harold Shepard; 04-17-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Harold Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
beenydu
Got Jesus?

Harold Shepard, can you go over the adjustment in a little more detail? I think the column is ok since I can shift it fine sitting still. The strange thing is when you start moving is when is locks up. When I changed the column, is there some special way to align everything back up? The only thing I done was put the wiring harness cover directly at the bottom. I am sure you can see, I am not an expert when it comes to 67-72's. Thanks for you help.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:49 PM   #5
Harold Shepard

I will get my manual out to give you the specifics and get back to you. Harold
Harold Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Before I replaced my 3 speed with a four on the floor I had to adjust mine often.

To adjust the three speed you will need some sort of alignment rod, I used a nail cut to the right length. The linkage adjustment is made under the hood on the steering column shaft. What you want to do is loosen up the nuts that tighten the guides on the shifting linkage. Get the tranny into neutral, which will have the two guides in line with each other. The guides have a small hole in them and there is also a raised notch on top of the steering column. Lay the nail on the notch and then move the guides until the nail slides through each guide. Then what I did was moved the linkage rods up and down to see how they cycle through the gears and then get back into neutral. Then I tightened the nuts so the guide is secure. Remove the alignment rod, ie the nail, and then cycle the tranny with the shift column in the cab. I had to do a little fine tuning to get the linkage right but it took all of 10 minutes once I figured out what I was doing.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
bluec10

How old is the three speed column? It could be bushings, but in my experience it might not be. When I bought my '69 the shifter was so tight that I couldn't even shift it into first - I broke the little knob off the end of the shifter. Believe it or not, WD-40 was the answer. I removed the wheel and sprayed inside the column and under the hood I sprayed into all the openings of the column. After working it a bit it shifts like new.
2019 BMW R1250 GSA - Yahoooooooo
1979 Honda GL 1000 - retro touring at its best.

Past:
'05 Sierra 4x4 - Had 270,000 KM and running well when it was written-off by a stop sign runner.
'94 F-150 from the "F word" company. I'll admit it...good truck. Sold what was left of it for $800 to a guy who came to pick it up at 11:00 PM with cash in hand. Hmm.
'79 Sierra Grande (Black) organ donor - perfect rebuildable 4-bolt 350 and a good TH350.
'76 Sierra Grande (Orange) - hate isn't too strong a word. Kid who bought it turned it into a hot rod.
'68 C-10 R.I.P. - Dad's old truck...too far gone to resurrect.
'59 C-50 - with hoist. Truck is gone, wife isn't. Nuff said.
bluec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
beenydu
Got Jesus?

To all, this is great information. I will try it out tommorrow evening. I have to go into work at 3-4 am tommorrow morning, so I must go to bed soon.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:28 PM   #9
c10chevy69

I did the same thing as Bluec10. Mine is an auto but that WD-40 works miracles. I had just about broken my shifter off of the column and I thought what the hell it can't hurt it that bad to spray it. Shifts like a new truck now.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #10
beenydu
Got Jesus?

Ok, thanks to all of your help! I think the problem lies in the bushings on the transmission shifter arms. The steering column shifter bushings are good and tight. The ones on the transmission arms are gone. Does anyone have any or know of where I can get these? Thank you again for all the help.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:59 PM   #11
ZOOMY

shift arm bushings.

I don't know if they're available, but I made some last week for my '72 stepside out of the brass tube from an air nozzle. Correct ID & OD. Just cut to proper length............Zoomy
ZOOMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #12
atcavage

I had the exact same problem. I took it in and had the mechanic replace the bushings. Solved the problem. Now I have to figure out if I need to do it again or just oil and adjust it. I'm starting to wonder if an automatic might be a good purchase.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #13
hotrodmtodd
'Burban Legend

Old Trick

Mine was 3 on tree factory. Now TH400, on the way back to a 4-speed. The guy that sold me mine showed me how to make it work if it jams up. Just push with your thumb 180 degrees from the shifter lever and it will probably keep you from busting the lever off. As far as while driving, I'm sure that's a torque issue. Mine will be a slick column with a hole in the floor soon. HotRod
hotrodmtodd is offline   Reply With Quote