The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
SnS C10

please help with power steering!!

hey guys i havnt been on here in awhile. last time i posted it was about me taking a road trip to ky from california. well i made the 2200 mile trip without one hiccup from the truck at all. 2200 trouble free miles. well, when i got to ky, i noticed that sometimes while steering, the wheel would stick a little and not turn freely. i changed the fluid and all and it did not help. so i figured it was an old pump so i got a new one about a month ago and installed it. i did the correct procedure for bleeding and all, replaced the hoses too. it worked great. but....the wheel is still sticking sometimes, though not as bad as the old pump. also about 3 weeks ago there has been a rattling/light knocking noise coming from the engine. so, to check that, i unhooked the altenator/ water pump and the power steering pump. so the only thing turning is the crank....start the engine, noise is gone. next, i hook up the steering pump. now only the steering pump and crank are turning, the noise is back. with just the altenator and water pump hooked up, the noise is gone again. what is going on with my steering pump? why would the wheel be sticking and why is there a rattling/knocking noise coming from the pump itself? oh yea, just incase you guys ask, the pulley is on tight. the fluid has been a little high since i put the new pump on though. can too much fluid ruin the power steering pump? tell me what you guys think is wrong. thanks a lot and thanks for everyone giving me advice for my cross country trip, it helped a lot
SnS C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Prolly a bearing out of the pump.I'm surprised it isn't leaking.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote