The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
thisolechevy

Exclamation I got my cruise control to work!!!

WHOO HOO UPDATE: I got the cruise to work!! and it works great

Hey guys I recently got a "parts donor" a 1983 buick lesabre wagon with a blown motor and shot interior, anyways I am converting all of the electric and creature comfort features to my '69 K-10 its actually been pretty easy stuff!! I already did the power brakes, electric door locks, and now I am working on cruise control. I removed the unit out of the car being very careful to label every wire and every vacuum hose, and now it is installed into my truck...kinda. I cant figure out the wiring. In the car all of the wires ran into one huge main harness and then I could not trace where they went. I was able to trace where the dual connector went and it ran to the brake light switch. But the large main connector I am not sure of. What I did that didnt work was
1). I of course grounded all of the grounds
2). I hooked up the 2 speedo cables (the speedo in the truck works still so I am sure the transducer is hooked up right)
3). Spliced the wire that went to the brake light switch to my brake light switch
4). ran the "engage" terminal to a on/off switch in the truck
5). ran the "hold" terminal to a horn button with 12v power, so that when you press the button it gets a 12v current for a short period of time to engage the system
6). left the "light" terminal alone, I figured it was for the dash light that reads "cruise"
7). and then hooked up the vacuum the same exact way it was in the car.
And for some reason it does not work and I am stumped! wouldnt this setup work without the turn signal lever/cruise buttons, when i have them? does anyone have a wiring diagam for me to use?

Thanks for any help available!!
-BRAD

Last edited by thisolechevy; 04-26-2005 at 08:20 PM.
thisolechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
thisolechevy

WHOOO HOOOO WOWSERS I got it to work!! it works great!! I am gonna wrtie up a how-to on the faqs page now, I am so excited!! I've got that good mechanic feeling again..lol.. :-)
-BRAD
Old 04-26-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
thisolechevy

Ttt
Old 04-26-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

Great job man!

Those cruise control setups can be a pain in the butt as far as getting them to work properly goes, lol

I opted for a newer electronic setup for my truck, but that requires a VSS to be installed in with the speedo cable.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #5
nevada70chev

cool....

that is the next item i will be lookin' for, cruise control. any and all info is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:09 AM   #6
thisolechevy

thanks for the compliments guys!! I am working right now on getting more good pics. and writing up a thread for the faqs page.