The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
woodman13
woodman13

Sold my 1971 Sub....or did I!?

I sold my 1971 Sub about 45 days ago to a lady for her husband sight unseen for $1500. I was going to store it for them till 1 May so they could work out something with it bla bla bla. Today, the guy showed up at my house to pick it up. He got in the Sub that we had to jump off to get running and drove away. Four hours later I get a call from him and he is like 1 mile from my house broke down. Then he tells me he ran out of gas and had to tow it to a gas station to put gas in it(I guess that is easier than using a gas can). Now this is the funny part, he said the gas tank fell halfway out of the truck and gas spilled everywhere(don't ask me why this happened I never took the tank out). Now, I have bought many old cars and trucks, never have I showed up to drive them home without tools or a trailer or both. The guy wanted me to load up a jack, some tools and come fix the truck. I know what yall are thinking, wow this guy sucks, he could just go fix the truck and send them on there way, or I could put the truck on my car hauler and tow it for him. Right before he called his wife called my cell phone and left a message cussing me out and demanding her money back and said I sold them a piece of $h!t. I did not get her message till I got off the phone with her husband. She sounded crazy like she was going to set my house on fire or something. Are my expectations about selling a vehicle unrealistic? I wanted to sell this sub because I did not have time to fix it. It was a little rusty(rockers and rear wheel openings), it ran ok, needed a tune-up, did not smoke, had a SB 400 and T400 trans, frt and rear A/C with good interior and new tires and aluminum rims. I sold it for exactly what I paid for it 16 months ago. Has anything like this ever happen to anyone? I figure I will end up in court over this truck in a few months.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 rolling coal!
1994 Caprice 9C1 88K miles, LT-1, dropped/shaved
1967 C-30 350 4 sp dually
1971 C10 SWB BBC, auto; good driver
woodman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

SORRY, I HAD TO LAUGH A LITTLE, I'D SAY THEY GOT A HELL OF A DEAL,
I WISH I COULD FIND SOMETHING IN THAT PRICE RANGE, I SAY SCREW EM,
IF YOU GO TO COURT, YOU GO TO COURT, IT WILL COST THEM MORE THAN
IT'S WORTH TO BATTLE IT OUT AND THEY STILL PROBABLY WON'T WIN.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #3
chief bobber
Sanity is a state of mind

Sounds like a case of more money than brains. $1500 is a great price for a complete anything in need of restoration. It's also a great price for a daily driver as far as beaters go I.E. Dodge neon, Saturn SL2, or whatever. My point is if the turkey thought he was going to buy a daily driver 34 year old truck he should have gone over it end to end to check it out BEFORE he bought it and BEFORE he decided to run it down the road. Bottom line he bought it sight unseen therefore removing any reponsiblity from you. Maybe he will calm down, realize his errors, become truly interested in the burb, and become a productive member here. If not, I hope he has a LONG and INTERESTING life with his foul mouthed sweetheart. Just my 2cents..........
and a few too many other trucks, cars, jeeps, cruisiers, and M/Cs

...o~`o
chief bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
Swbman

The first mistake made by him, is letting his wife handle the purchase of a used vehicle in the first place, and then letting her to wear the pants,Im pretty sure she talked with him before she left the message for you,sounds like it was going to be a problem for you either way it went, be five minutes after it left your house or 5 weeks.I wouldnt worry about it cars and truck 30 plus years old SOLD AS IS, WITH NO WARRANTY.......And your'e right who goes to pickup a old car or truck with a trailer or at least a toolbox and a buddy...go figure I guess it takes all kinds of people to make it a interesting and strange world....
Old 05-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Most wives never understand this stuff.He DID buy a piece of crap!Now you gotta get it home and turn it into a jewel!Or,run around in a $1500 bargain Bucket.To be fair,it`s not just the wives,though.So many folks expect so much out of these classics.It`s a roll of the dice.I`ve bought them and just drive drive drive.And I`ve bought them and had to do clutch,f/f work,and brakes literally before I could drive it.They should just caugh-up $15,000+ for one that someone put $20,000+ into and then,maybe,have a turnkey ride.I haven`t seen too many that haven`t gone out of warranty.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
laplander

Any news on the buyer from hell? This is why I always dread selling stuff. I once sold a car to a friend, on payments even, and 4 months later his WIFE calls me up and says she wants to come over and talk to me. She shows up with him and she tells me that the car just isn't as nice as they thought it was and since the water pump went out she thought I should take less for it.
Nik
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote