The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2002, 10:06 PM   #1
fishuntr

Question BOOM! How can i safely weld fuel tank?

I need to move the fill pipes on two saddle tanks. Task involves cutting new holes with holesaw, welding in new fill pipes, cutting off and welding a cap on old fill locations. When i was a kid we used to fill them with soapy water. For several reasons, (aside from being old & wise), this wont work. Tanks have not had any fuel in them in many years and are bone dry, but still have faint odor of gasoline.

I am competent to do the job, just don't want to blow myself up in the process. Is there a safe way to do this?
Thanks
Old 06-12-2002, 10:20 PM   #2
nu2-72

If there is still a faint smell of fuel, I would #1 remove tank to an outdoor location. #2 Use a shop vac to blow air into the tank and purge it of all fumes. ( do not vac fumes out as you do not want fumes in the vac canister where sparks may occur during startup) #3 you can then purge the tank with a non flammable gas like nitrogen or CO2. If you are wire welding, filling the tank with CO2/argon mix is welding gas anyway. Use low pressure so as not to effect the weld, just keep the tank clear. #4 ask more people, this is my experience and more input is always better. Good luck.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:33 PM   #3
fishuntr

Re:CO2

That's a good point about an inert gas displacing the oxygen. I will be doing the job with a MIG welder. I use a CO2 tank for my onboard air supply in my 4wheeler. Would this gas work?
Old 06-12-2002, 11:34 PM   #4
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Why doensnt the trick to fill it with water work?

Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 11:45 PM   #5
Mike C

Hook up a blower nozzle to your air compressor and leave it blowing into and circulating while working on the tank and it keeps gas pockets from forming. It IS a risky job, however. Take it to a radiator shop and have it steam cleaned/boiled whatever they call it and then you should be able to work on it fine. Just use the circulating air while working at it.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 11:48 PM   #6
Alexis
Member since 2000

Thumbs up

throw a match in the tank(while lit), just a thought
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 11:54 PM   #7
Zkast
Account Suspended

im curious too... why wouldnt filling it with water work for you? I've patched a few using this method and it seems to work quite well. All the water is doing is filling the area with non flammable liquid instead of flammable gas vapor. Once your done grab some denatured alcohol, slosh it around a bit and blow with compressed air.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 11:56 PM   #8
72 custom C-20

two words " Dry Ice "
They used to use that stuf to drop in large steel 100,000 gal fuel tanks and then cut them open to clean them out. then lift them out of the ground and cut them up.

Got that story from my ex-girls father. He's still alive too! It supposedly "raises the flash point" in his words.

Don't know if they still use that technique. It's co2 right.

David
Southampton, Pa.
72 custom C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 11:56 PM   #9
Stano

At the body shop I work at we have to repair motor cycle gas tanks quite often and we usually drain them let them sit out for a day or so and then fill them with water and proceed to weld or use the stud gun on them with no problem. I worked with a guy that has customized harleys for the better part of his life and he did it the same way. If this scares you then don't do it but if the tanks were gonna blow I think they would have in the 40 or so I've seen and worked on my self.
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 01:46 AM   #10
StingRay

A buddy of mine has a rad shop and repairs tanks all of the time. He drains the fuel, rinses with water and then attaches a vacuum cleaner hose to the vacuum outlet so that it blows warm air into the tank for a few hours. You could rinse with water again for good measure if you wanted to. After all of that there wouldn't be anything left that could combust.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:54 AM   #11
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

I agree with the dry ice thing. Around here most stations are trying to meet the mandate to upgrade their tanks and they are using dry ice when they cut them up. I believe the theory behind it is as the ice melts it turns directly into a gas and this gas is heavier then the air and gas vapors thus pushing them out and filling the space only with the gas from the ice.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:13 AM   #12
tom hand
CCRider

The only problem with this thread is the people that did it the wrong way don't get to reply. I worked in a shop that employed 6 full time welders and none of them would go near a gas tank without pumping CO2 in it. I can see where the dry ice thing would work because it is nothing but CO2. The main thing is if you have ANY doubt, take it to a pro because you don't get a second chance. And remember an empty gas tank is ten times more dangerous than a full one.

Last edited by tom hand; 06-13-2002 at 10:45 AM.
tom hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:26 AM   #13
71GMC_3/4T
Weapons Of Construction

"The only problem with this thread is the people that did it the wrong way don't get to reply. " <-- Tom Hand

Ah, good point Tom! LOL on that one, even though it isn't funny.
My shop teacher way back in HS told us the military used to pump exhaust from a running diesel into the tank for a while before welding it. I like the dry ice idea myself. But like Tom says, take it to a shop! Otherwise fishuntr, we have to wait for your next post and worry about you...
Old 06-13-2002, 10:51 AM   #14
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

Having the tank cleaned out at a radiator shop is probably the safest way to go. Years ago, I tried the water in the tank trick and I let it run through and overflow so that the tank was completely filled with water. When I started to solder the tank with a torch, it woofed at me and since then I have had them cleaned.

Gasoline is pretty scary and a little bit has lots of energy in it.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 11:54 AM   #15
Desert Rat

Rat advice take it elsewheres,be better to pay $40 and watch someone else blow up than yourself.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 12:50 PM   #16
jku72

I have safly welded gas tanks by filling them with water. This is apparently an accepted practice. All the guys I know do it that way, and it is easy. This is what I was taught years ago at my welding certification class, well, 10 years ago. Maybe the laws changed, but i still do it this way.

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:08 PM   #17
fishuntr

More info re tank welding

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't completely describe the job. The reason i can't use water is that i also have to cut out the two tubes that the mounting bolts go through. The bolts have been impossible to get out; so, i was going to just cut the tubes out and replace them at the same time.

I will probably have them thoroughly boiled out, then use the CO2 from my fill bottle. I can regulate it down to a slow flow and do the job. I wont take too many chances; didn't get to 60 by doing stupid things (well maybe i was lucky some of the time:p )
If i could afford it i would probably have it professionally done.

On the other hand, that would defeat my argument to my spouse that by having my own MIG, TIG and Plasma Cutter, i could do my own work. I really have done a lot of welding, but this is a little different than roll cages, hitches, racks and such.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Jimmy
Old 06-13-2002, 05:10 PM   #18
colohusker

Good luck! I guess if you don't let us know how it went, we'll know it didn't go well! the CO2 from the welder should work fine, just make sure to give it plenty of time to fill the tanks before you start in.

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote