The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

Just cut my springs and I'm not feeling confident about it!

Hey guys,

I asked this a while back and finally decided to get a blade to my skil saw today. These are the factory springs that I sold with my yellow 69. Th PO said I could have them. I can't be sure that the ones on my truck now have been tampered with.

Well, I cut one coil off from the bottom (the fat end) and it just didn't seem like that much. I thought maybe some guys here had some measurements on a 2 inch drop spring I could compare to. That is the drop I'm after, because I have drop spindles also.

Thanks,

Bryan

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
Geoff
Geoff

I don't know how low you want to go but from my experience once you go over 2 or 2 1/4 coils the ride gets pretty bad. With 15x8 245/60/15 with the above mentioned coils cut my front bumper on my 68' was between 6-7in off the ground.

Sometimes you don't notice much and then you take another coil and your like holey crap what did I do.

Good luck
H4 headlights and LED taillights
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I've found that 1/2 coil= 1 inch drop. You should be around a 2 inch drop. If you cut more,... just remember that the spring will be loose in the spring pocket with the front wheels off the ground. (example: jack under frame, not the a-arm,... and front wheels off the ground) This isn't a problem,... you just need to make sure the spring "seats" in the spring pocket when you lower the front back to the ground. I've cut 1 1/2 coils with no problem. Had them on a daily driver I use to have. This was way back,... before dropped spindles were available.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 11:20 PM   #4
C10 Club Tennessee

It just seemed like the the bottom coil was pretty close to the second to the bottom coil. Which is now the bottom coil. It just didn't seem like it would be that much of a drop.

thanks lolife

Bryan

www.gmtruckshow.com

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
Old 05-07-2005, 11:49 PM   #5
69 longhorn

You are looking at 2 1/2- 3 " of drop,with 1 ring off the bottom......my longhorn has run that way for 10-12 yrs, with no issues I have fabbed shock relocators, & run stock shocks both front & rear. the rear is an axle flip (leaf spring), & relocated spring hangers to set the height. Also a few tossed leafs(she runs a 4 leaf stack). I call it "loosely"a 3/5 drop.....+ 1 1/2" of body drop.Yea, its low enough to hear the same ? asked all the time......"How low IS that truck?" The sweet part is on a real budget drop(lots of work, but little cash), she rides & handles nice.....& NOTHING scrapes on the pavement L
Old 05-08-2005, 12:06 AM   #6
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 longhorn
.....& NOTHING scrapes on the pavement L
That just tells me you're not low enough!
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 12:13 AM   #7
70short/step

Quote "Sometimes you don't notice much and then you take another coil and your like holey crap what did I do."

Sorry But that is friggin funny!

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 12:23 AM   #8
69 longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
That just tells me you're not low enough!
No, IMO that is setup properly.....remember "budget" is the name of the game, & that old truck will stretch her legs pretty good on the open road Spindles, arms, bags ,ect will net more drop, or "lay frame"......but drive height is what it is, & sparks on the pavement should NOT be part of the deal for any reason! L
Old 05-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
71swb4x4

Coil springs are cheap, keep cutting
Old 05-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #10
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 longhorn
No, IMO that is setup properly.....remember "budget" is the name of the game, & that old truck will stretch her legs pretty good on the open road Spindles, arms, bags ,ect will net more drop, or "lay frame"......but drive height is what it is, & sparks on the pavement should NOT be part of the deal for any reason! L
Deep, cleansing breaths, 'horn. I was kidding.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:44 PM   #11
69 longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
Deep, cleansing breaths, 'horn. I was kidding.
I knew that L
Old 05-08-2005, 09:07 PM   #12
lok-dawg

Quote:
Sometimes you don't notice much and then you take another coil and your like holey crap what did I do.
OMG that caught me off gaurd.
'14 Subaru Impreza- Limited/2.0/Sedan/AWD
lok-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:46 AM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70short/step
"Sometimes you don't notice much and then you take another coil and your like holey crap what did I do."

Sorry But that is friggin funny!
It's "really" funny if you have had the experience. I did this on a 84 Camaro once. I cut 1/2 a coil put it back together and nothing happened. I cut another 1/2 a coil and still nothing. I called a buddy and asked should I cut it again. He suggested I drive it first. I drove it around the block and checked it again. I looked at the front and said " holy crap what did I do."

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #14
C10 Club Tennessee

Okay Guys,

I'll leave it alone and install them with the drop spindles and see what I got. I guess like N2Trux said I'll drive it before I get mad about having to pull it back out.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 05-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #15
CAJ68

i you cut 1 coil off front, how much do you cut off back coils to level the truck out?and do you need to get different shocks with that much drop?
CAJ68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #16
72BLAZERDUDE

You can't cut the rear coils. The way the spring is designed is like a pig tail, it spirals in at both ends. You will have to buy drop coils or bag it. Yellow69 here is a picture of my sons truck 2 1/2 drop spindles with stock springs with 1 coil cut out and 6 inch drop coils and 2 inch blocks in the back.
Attached Images

Last edited by 72BLAZERDUDE; 05-23-2005 at 10:35 AM.
72BLAZERDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:19 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BLAZERDUDE
You can't cut the rear coils.....
I believe the proper term should be you 'shouldn't' cut the rear coils. They can be cut. I've seen my buddy do 3 of his 67-72's that way. He cut the coil & tack welded the pigtail to the trailing arm on his first 2 & on the third he got better fabrication skills & built an adapter to contain the bottom of the coil after it was cut. That adapter (it was like a shallow cup) fit between the coil & the trailing arm.

FWIW.... they all rode like crap.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-23-2005 at 04:19 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #18
72BLAZERDUDE

I stand corrected. I guess your right you can do just about anything you want. Cut those springs, Drive a Yugo, Sell your Chevy and buy a Fiat. Alot of things you can do but SHOULDN'T
Old 05-23-2005, 10:18 PM   #19
SCOTI

Well I'll admit it's not something I would do but he did things differently. I also must admit that although his trucks rode slightly on the rough side, he never had any issues w/the rear springs.

The tops were still bolted in place just like the factory & the bottoms were tacked to the trailing arms. One of his trucks was hit broadside hard enough to rip the bed loose from the frame but both springs were still in place.

I liked his 3rd attempt the best as it offered more support.

Years later, he did a 65 & went w/dropped a-arms when I suggested spindles. It was one of those dropped a-arms that hung on a city manhole cover & totaled his truck. Mine was just as low & still drives around years later thanks to dropped spindles & mildly cut coils. At least on the 65, he stepped up & got dropped rear coils & we made some blocks for about 6" of drop.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote