The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2005, 03:00 AM   #1
carecom

Moving a gas tank

I just bought a 69 GMC that has the gas tank behind the bench seat. The smell of gas is pretty strong, especially considering that the upper tab on the end of the neck has broken off and the gas lid won't tighten down anymore. I would like to move the tank or at least figure out a way to get rid of the smell (and get a new neck so the lid will tighten down). Is it possible to move a tank and if so, how hard is it to do so? Is it possible to do it myself? This is my first DIY truck, so be gentle, my feet are still wet and I'm still trying to figure out how to do this stuff! <grin>
carecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:43 AM   #2
ACES
Life is a gamble

Gas tank options

I still consider myself new to this too, but I'll give this a shot.

If you want to move the tank out of the cab, there is a guy on here called Fuelcellguy. He operates out of http://www.aluminumfuelcell.com/
He has built custom tanks for lots of people here. From what I hear, they are very high quality.

OR

You can replace the neck or entire gas tank pretty cheap. If you do that, I also recommend a new gasket around the filler neck.
If you want to replace with a stock neck or tank, just post a WTB ( Want To Buy) post on the parts board. I'm sure lots of people have them for sale.

I hope this answers your question. If not there are several thousand more knowledgable people here.

-Art

The torpid artist seeks inspiration at any cost, by virtue or by vice, by friend or by fiend, by prayer or by wine.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ACES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:18 AM   #3
96blazr

I'm also getting those fumes in the cab and I've seen the web-site and I like the 30-gallon unit he put in his own truck. He's got a good Rep too.
Makes a little more sense to me: out of the cab and still having a good center of gravity.
And since I don't plan on using the bed(for anything large) and having a cover on the bed, looks like a winner to me!

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:29 AM   #4
Joe67
67 is sold

If you are getting fumes, mounting a rear tank is a very expensive fix

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
Mudder

There is a ton of info here on changin tanks. Try the FAQ forum. I know the search isn't working but I'm sure you can find all about it there if you look around.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
midyearvet@aol.

Broken neck on gas tank

I took my tank out years ago & brazed the cracks back together and then brazed around the entire opening. Then I ground and flat filed the lip to get a nice seal. Lip is now about a 1/4" wide and totally flat. Seals good.
Make sure you wash out tank good. Have the filler neck pointed up and also pull out the fuel sending unit and you won't have any trouble with explosions.
Rick Ca.
midyearvet@aol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #7
redhead69
fugedaboutit

I just did a poly- blazer tank to the rear of my swb 69'. Think I paid 225.00 for the tank... comes with the straps and is assembled..ready to go. Requires some mods and some fab and alot of patience. After doing the swap I would suggest that unless you have to, or you need that shaved look.. repairing or swapping the existing one would be alot easier and alot more cost effective.
redhead69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
carecom

WOW!!! Great replies, everyone. Thanks! It sounds like moving the tank is going to be more trouble (and more expensive) than I first thought. It seems logical to just replace the neck, but I'm wondering what I can do to get rid of that gas smell? It seems like there may be a problem with the tank itself to have such a strong smell. It's almost overpowering, but I don't appear to have a leak anywhere. Any ideas?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
guyryan100

There's a rubber gasket and a metal ring that hold the sending unit to the tank. It's in the top center of the tank inside the cab not too far from your shoulder. If it leaks there you will never get rid of the gas fumes. A replacement gasket is only a couple dollars.

BTW, Where are you located?
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

carecom: Where are you located? I have a very nice stock fuel tank that is just taking up space in my basement that is looking for a new home.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #11
carecom

Slammed67, I'm in Augusta, GA.