The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2005, 11:17 PM   #1
1STtimePRo'71

Plug Wires and Stock Distrubutor

I was thinking about throwing some new 9mm plug wires on the old girl. Leaning toward some MSD's, and I got to thinking. How much would adding bigger/hotter wires affect anything with stock coil and distributor? Would it be a waste to put these kind of wires on without backing it up with aftermarket juice?

I wanted to switch to HEI awhile back but decided against it after reading tons of posts about them and getting even more confused. Also with the question above whats the deal with billet and pro-billet distributors? What makes them better?

1967 2 Wheel Chevy
1STtimePRo'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
tmcgrawlookalike

i`d go get me a set of good ac/delco original replacement wire set and call it good.not sure about the billet dist.,but they are pretty,and i`m sure they work good.the downfall i see is i`ll never have an engine that needs that much firepower,nor do i want to spend alot of extra money on the add-ons for that new billet dist.
tmcgrawlookalike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:13 AM   #3
1STtimePRo'71

You know I just bought a set of delcos not even two months ago. And the wires are way to long for my 350. I double checked that they were the right ones for the truck and turns out that they are. I noticed that there are a couple of brands out there that have a plug wire kit that you can shorten the wires up to fit. Anybody heard of this or tried them?

1967 2 Wheel Chevy
Old 05-10-2005, 12:24 AM   #4
tmcgrawlookalike

accel,taylor,msd,mallory,jacobs,etc.the reason your wire set didn`t fit is because remember that the original wires would have ran between engine and mount,going along side of block,down below.the kit sets that you assemble the dist end are ok,but they can be a pain in the ass too.take your time,and don`t let trying to feed the wire thru that boot piss you off too much!
tmcgrawlookalike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:28 AM   #5
1STtimePRo'71

See when I replaced the wires they werent run that way. The PO must have changed out the wires once before. Thanks tmcgraw!!!!!!!

1967 2 Wheel Chevy