The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
MikeS

In tank fuel pump

Hey guys (and girls),

Does anybody have a Blazer fuel tank hanging out? I need somebody to check something for me....

I'm in the process of collecting parts to swap in a TPI system this summer and I came across this place that sells a kit to install a high pressure fuel pump in just about any tank (see the links below). I'd really like to go this route but I need to know if there is a flat spot, about 5" in diameter on the top of the tank somewhere so I can install this thing. Since my tank is still in the truck, I can't see it. So...if somebody could check it out for me, I'd really appreciate it. Pictures would also be helpful.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm
http://www.thedetailzone.com/Tanks%2...%20Install.htm

Thanks.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
skid

I had my tank out last summer and even though my memory isn't the greeatest, I can say for sure that there is a place to cut a 5" hole. Unfortunately, the Blazer tank is not properly baffled for an in tank pump. If you let the tank get low it will suck air and the engine will stall due to lack of fuel pressure. A low pressure system is much more forgiving plus the carb will store some fuel as well for momentary lapses in fuel supply.
I've heard of people using a 87 and up Blazer tank as it is already baffled for an in tank pump. The filler hose is on the wrong side so there are fabrication issues. Or you can use a fuel cell.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Yup should work
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #4
skid

I guess I should have checked your links before I responded. It looks like with their system that baffling might not be required. That's very cool. I have a TPI fuel injection that is waiting to be installed and that setup could be the answer. It almost looks like that pump setup might fit the stock tank opening...If it didn't just some slight clearancing might be required. Try it and let us know if it works!
Old 05-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
71RestoRod

It'll work.

These pictures are not very clear, but yes there is a spot to drop one of these in-tank kits into.

One thing you'll need to be careful about is locating the fittings such that they don't interfere with the cross member that runs right above the tank. If you have a body lift of any kind, then it won't be an issue. They can also be installed with a box of sorts countersunk into the tank for more clearance. If you install it as far forward in the tank as possible without it interfering with the float and sender, you'll be fine.

Mine is a Walbro pump and is installed inside a "well" so the pump is always fed when the fuel is sloshing around. Ideally, you should plumb the return line into the well. The existing 5/16" fuel line on the sender was just too tempting for me though, so I ended up plugging the return on the pump and using the existing line for the return after pulling the sock off and routing it away from the float.

Edit: Gee_Emm, you beat me to the post! Problem with the location you have pointed out, though, is the fuel float is directly underneath.

Resto
Attached Images

Last edited by 71RestoRod; 05-19-2005 at 12:04 AM.
71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
skid

Wow, that sure is nice work you are doing 71! What size is your tank? It looks larger than stock.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:13 AM   #7
71RestoRod

Hey Skid... Thanks. The tank is a stock replacement.

These pictures are from last summer. The truck is together now, sans interior. I'm hoping my seat covers arrive this week. You have no idea how bad I'm jones'n with the beast basically all together and no driver's seat! Last time I drove a truck sitting on a paint bucket was several decades ago... had a string attached to the throttle... that's another story. Needless to say, this one will sit in the garage until the seat is firmly planted!

Last edited by 71RestoRod; 05-19-2005 at 12:13 AM.
71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:09 AM   #8
MikeS

Thanks for all the info guys. It looks like it might just work.

Gee_Emm: What about a spot on the other side of the tank from the stock float location. Like Resto said, I've got to whatch out for interference with the float.

Resto: That looks awesome. Where did you get that tank? Did you fab the countersink in it yourself?
I used to live just up the road from you in Conifer. Moved to VA in '96. Sure do miss 'wheelin the Blazer up in the mountains.

Mike

Last edited by MikeS; 05-19-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:25 AM   #9
71RestoRod

Mike,

Thanks for the complement. When I ordered the tank, most of the venders were out of stock. I got this one from American Classic and had it shipped directly to Rock Valley in IL to get the pump set in place. They did an outstanding job. At the time, I couldn't find the Tanks Inc. kit. I had seen it in one of my magazines, but couldn't find it again so I ended up going the Rock Valley route. Especially working with a new tank, I think it would be a very doable (yourself) install.

Resto
Old 05-20-2005, 08:59 AM   #10
pound41

Just a question as much as a thought but if you what more efficient fuel for your tpi couldn't you get that with an external rear mounted fuel pump like we had back in our racing days and I guess those are still what drag racing is still using today. If so it would save any tank mods. Who knows I have been out of that loop for a while but it might be possible
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:06 AM   #11
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pound41
Just a question as much as a thought but if you what more efficient fuel for your tpi couldn't you get that with an external rear mounted fuel pump like we had back in our racing days and I guess those are still what drag racing is still using today. If so it would save any tank mods. Who knows I have been out of that loop for a while but it might be possible
You could do the external pump and many guys doing this swap do just that. The problem is that these are high pressure pumps (45-50 psi) and most of them are actually designed as pushers, not pullers. So you would be asking them to do something they really aren't designed to do. Secondly, without baffles in our tanks you run the risk of starving the pump on extreme angles, around turns, or when the fuel level gets low. That could easily burn up a pump, not to mention stall an engine. So, the pump I plan to install comes complete with its our little baffle setup. Also, the fuel helps to keep the pump running cool.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:29 AM   #12
tpi72blazer
Tpi72Blazer

I used a tank form a 97 Tahoe when I did my TPI conversion. The filler inlet is on the correct side, and it has baffles for the pump as well. I did have to change out the pump as the Vortec engines run too much fuel pressure for TPI applications.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #13
pound41

Thats good I was just wondering. I however am not impressed with the new modern in tanks as far as durability on angles and starving the engine. My driveway has a steady some what steep incline I have own a 94 Jimmy, 97 Yukon now have a 2002 suburban and 2003 2500 HD all that I have mentioned after 2-3yrs became noticeable harder to start when sitting on the driveway. when flat not a problem. I had a friend that had one the fuel pump was 2-3 yrs old and was fading. when sitting up hill or down hill with not much angle it wouldn't start we used to have to push it out of inclined/declined parking spaces to start it. We have a 97 flatbed we use at work its on its 4th fuel pump -only thing we can figure is the pumps cannot take the shaking of the bed coming back down. I know they are more efficient in some ways I just haven't had any luck with durabilty
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #14
skid

tpi72blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi72blazer
I used a tank form a 97 Tahoe when I did my TPI conversion. The filler inlet is on the correct side, and it has baffles for the pump as well. I did have to change out the pump as the Vortec engines run too much fuel pressure for TPI applications.
I have a TPI I want to install in my 72 and am curious to learn how easy the 97 Tahoe tank is to retrofit. Can you let us know how you did it? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks