The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2002, 08:39 PM   #1
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

my grandma has just about convinced me to keep the 71 and

and find the last few parts that i need to put it together and drive it,,,,, damn,
sine i cant locate a 1/2 ton driveshaft for 4 speed manual and i have a driveshaft that would fit with a short auto tranny, mayb i should take the remanufactured THM200 out of the 82 firebird and just use it since its same length and spline as a shorttail th350...
i dunno,,,,

would build flat bed on it

ill get pics of the truck and see what you all think, no one has really seen this truck except snowman and 68stepside

snowman told me he would hate to see the truck come apart,
TJ, youre still getting the 4 speed out of it if you want it still if I decide to try this, and snowman youre still getting the bed if you want it still.

ive got to really think on this one, have yet to figure up tranny thing and would have to completely redo all brakes, the whole system and find a pass side ram horn angled manifold and exhaust Y-pipe,

whats everyone think right now without pics ? i dunno about this,.. i posted on parts board for some of what i would need in this case,...

Last edited by Fast68Chevy; 06-16-2002 at 08:48 PM.
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 09:01 PM   #2
68 Stepside
huh?

Well....you asked what I think. So here goes:

Personally, if I had a truck that was so close to being done, the last thing I'd do is think about parting it out. What all needs to be done? Interior? Hood? Basic mechanicals? It's all CAKE. I see no reason why you can't do it. You're constantly motivated to cut stuff up, why not get motivated, and get this on the rest of the way done? It's close, there's no reason to let it go now. Put it back together the rest of the way, then sell me that torch, so you can't cut it up every time a 10 cent part breaks. I need that torch anyways, so I can cut some stuff up. I know this hobby can get frustrating dude, but put the truck back together, and don't look back.

TJ
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 09:49 PM   #3
Alexis
Member since 2000

dont think just do

yeah just finish that sht and over come your fear and pain that you'll never get a truck done, just do spend every fking free second out there tryign to put the dam thing together sure you'll spend hour on somting little a figure out al you need to do was turn it the other way. helll you might brake a few thign and have a tool fly at your head but it might knock some more sence into you, good luck and put the sob back together.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 10:32 PM   #4
racedvl
Account Suspended

Just finish it..........
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 11:00 PM   #5
chevyman 68 C/10

Man I haven't been able to part out my parts truck that I saved from the crusher, and I was in the salvage buisness.
Save that truck man!
Chevyman 68 C/10

68 Chevy short fleet side 400 sb 5 inch chop top pb. ps. pw. 350 auto and shaved handles

68 anniversary no engine long wheel base 400 auto FOR SALE

68 Chevy fleet side long wheel base complete parts truck.
chevyman 68 C/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 11:47 PM   #6
jostrans68
Jostrans68

randy I still have the correct shaft you never got back to me and then I read your giving up so I didnt bother to check on shipping let me know.....make your mind up MAN
Old 06-17-2002, 02:23 AM   #7
nroden

FINISH this 1 vehicle and MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE as you have planned.
Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
nroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 11:14 AM   #8
Yellow Cheyenne

You don't need much to finish the project. I suspect people are getting weary of helping you out with parts only to find that you have gone torch mad and are cutting everything up again. You say you need exhaust and brake lines. They both can be the last things that you need for a driver. Finish the project to the point that it is "lot driveable" and prove that you are actually going to have something to drive and I would bet someone will have the parts you need. As it is now, why would anyone be willing to help when you will most likely cut up or scrap the parts again? PROVE THAT YOU CAN BUILD, NOT JUST DESTROY!!! STAY OFF THE COMPUTER FOR A WEEK AND COME BACK WHEN IT IS DRIVEABLE.
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 11:38 AM   #9
chevyman 68 C/10

Thumbs up

Get the shaft and go man go!!!!!!!!
Patients are mandatory for something worth some thing. I have had dreams for 15 years but family came first and they were always put on hold, or sold, but now I am finaly getting somewhere.

I now have more projects than good sence. [it did not take much!!!!]

68 Chevy short fleet side 400 sb 5 inch chop top pb. ps. pw. 350 auto and shaved handles

68 anniversary no engine long wheel base 400 auto FOR SALE

68 Chevy fleet side long wheel base complete parts truck.
chevyman 68 C/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 02:04 PM   #10
Desert Rat

I almost hate to get involved ive talked to Randy alot,i can tell your frustrated,but dont wait for these parts you need,work with what you have,collect other stuff as it comes along.please save the money and buy new brakelines,and buy a rebuild kit for the ones you have or new ones.A Y pipe will be easy if i woulda known before i coulda sent one,but i threw it.why not just find individual pipes run them down and scab some dual on it,nothing fance but im sure theres exhaust pieces somewhere that will fit.I had a bunch of torched off pieces from junkyards that dont unbolt stuff.I may have some left i kinda cleaned up,so i need to look.If i knew you were needing a manifold again,i woulda picked up at Long Beach i saw half a dozen for under $10,but i dont buy sb parts much.Do you need battery tray again?Let me know i need to unbolt it before core support is gone.What else do you need?If you are gonna do it,then do it,Then youll have a truck if you need help im sure someone would,just so you could have one going,or donate parts to see you on the road,Ill even give **** away sometimes,but i say remember me,every time.what if i need something stupid from them oneday,hopefully theyll do the same,thats how i have it with my buddies,give them stuff,but then they give stuff i want,sometimes we forget who owes who,but who cares,its only a part.well if its a big block vette tripower setup it might be different,but the smaller stuff usually dont matter,stay away from here until truck is fired up!!unless you need advice on what your working on.Go out and do it!!!!!!it wont put itself together-ive tried that,your feel of accomplishment will be great.but buy the critical stuff like brakes new,or rebuilt.having funky belts/hoses or mismatched wires is funky,but atleast you will stop.Used hoses can look good on outside but swell on the inside.Id sell something and invest.To me thats the most important part of a vehicle is breaks,i hear a squeak off comes rims/drums.My wife and i had a scarey experience once in Auburn WA coming down a big hill,pedal floor,red light,she was driving didnt understand the ebrake method,i told her to keep pumping and i dropped her down into second than 1st to slow us,incase of impact,thank god nothing.I drove it home with emergency break,it was the old funky master cylinder.Now when i buy something to keep,i pull off rims and check brake status,first thing i do,then i un mickey mouse stuff,usually wiring,possible tuneup,always a tranny fluid/filter change.and check rear,possibly replace fluid.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 12:03 AM   #11
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

yellow,. well i need to be on the puter in order to find the parts i need to do this if i am gonna do it, its taking $$ that im supposed to be savign for school to do this, but i guess maybe is cheaper than buying a whole running truck and if i did so id end up with one with problems and alot more rust so i dunno,,,, i do want this truck to be tigether, but im looking at 3 or 400 more in parts to do it, exhaust is gonna be half that roughly then all brakes syatme completely, lines hoses cylinders all of it,,, then stil need bumpers and so forth, interior i dont care about, dont need dash pad or visors, i have some of each, but oh well, i have a couple seats too, but no tank for fuel so hmmm.,,,

deser rat, no exhaust parts are damn hard to find, i cant find a single damn pipe for chevy anywhere, i cant,, i know many members here have soem, but i gues the wont part with them.,,,,,
that may be the problem that prevents me from getting this done.
i just need pair of head pieps to get me started on adding on pipes and muffs.

lol at alex! hehe,

TJ torch is here, have at it, happy cutting, its your turn now, hehe
its full, got new acetylene, both tanks full now :P

thanks guys, dunno how this will turn out or end,,,,,,

lol at chevyman hehe, so holding out on wasting all $$ on trucks because for family reasons is bad idea or ? heh
Old 06-18-2002, 12:56 AM   #12
Patrick Sullivan
Transcendental Trucker

$300-400 is nothing, you are almost done.. I look at my truck and realize I have many thousands to go..
1998 Dodge Dakota 4x4

So, fill to me the parting glass
And drink a health whate'er befalls...
Then gently rise and softly call
Goodnight and joy be to you all!
Patrick Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 10:12 AM   #13
71Chev

Stayed tuned for next weeks episode of...
Torching, Selling, and Scraping. Everything Must Go!
Coming soon to a parts board near you. LOL
Old 06-18-2002, 03:48 PM   #14
Yellow Cheyenne

Like I said, build the pickup to the point that it will start/move on its own. It sounds like you have enough parts there to do that. It's been about 3 days since my last post on this subject. Where have you been? On the computer or at the junkyard. You are NOT making any progress that way Why are you wanting to sell the bed off of it and build a flat bed? Use the bed you have until you can afford to build a flat bed. The parts to build the flat bed will cost money, something you sound like you are trying to save. Yes, many members have the parts you need, they aren't rare. Many members are willing to help other members build a pickup but don't want to send the parts to you for free or next to it because your track record says you will either scrap the parts or give up on the project and sell them to someone else. Don't worry about making it perfect, many of us drive them with bad rockers/cab corners/cab supports. Believe me they will start and move and haul lots of stuff even if they are rusty and multi-colored. STAY OFF THE COMPUTER, BUILD THE PICKUP-STAY AWAY FROM JUNK YARDS-BUILD THE PICKUP-STAY AWAY FROM ATTEMPTING TO FIND THE PARTS THAT YOU WILL NEED DOWN THE ROAD-BUILD THE PICKUP-MOST OF ALL, STAY AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER UNTIL YOU HAVE A SOMEWHAT DRIVEABLE PICKUP, STAY AWAY FROM THE TORCH-BUILD THE PICKUP!!!!!! IF YOU HAD SPENT THE HOURS THAT YOU SPEND ON THE COMPUTER EACH DAY TO BUILD THE PICKUP, YOU WOULD BE DRIVING IT BY NOW-STAY AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER AND PUT TOGETHER THE PARTS YOU ALREADY HAVE-NO MORE WHINING-BUILD THE PICKUP.
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 04:17 PM   #15
Shane
Account Suspended

well said........

Last edited by Shane; 06-18-2002 at 04:22 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 05:14 PM   #16
Desert Rat

Randy find those parts,then ill have money in your mailbox!I have used wheel cylinders on rearends,but i hate to send them,really should rebuild atleast or spring for new ones.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:36 AM   #17
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

patrick, yes thats nice to know but its much $$ if you are laid off for over 8 months straight, in which i have been so far, and are trying to live off anything you possibly can, and are supposed to be getting ready to go to little over 100 credit hours of classes crammed into 9 months time, school aint cheap unfortunately, im trying to skimp by on making truck run and go, im lucky so far i suppose,., i guess,.,.,

lol at 71Chev!

Yellow, yes i know, i drive with no rockers trucks all my life, nothing new, at least this one has rockers or at least inners, thats wayyyyy more than all other trucks ive ever had have ever had, only cuz i had the cab and doors imported from TX earlier in year thanks to crews. we've all driven or are driving rusted junk beaters at one time or another, just some of us its all the time and some others' beaters are in wayyyy better shape than the best shape beater they have,....

rat, im working on it, waiting for rain day, luckily has been no real bad rain since last saturday or friday, its a miracle, maybe rivers and creeks and such will drop back to normal soon, maybe we can get to below 85% humidity for once... for a day or so maybe,
Old 06-19-2002, 01:51 AM   #18
Desert Rat

Randy,If you get all those parts together i suppose instead of money i can goto parts store buy all what you need,brake hoses,cylinders,mast cylinder and stuff instead of cash that way your guaranteed the money goes to getting it going.Ill try to get you a SBC Y pipe out of a motorless truck at boneyard,but if im cutting off with hacksaw,rattlesnakes between my feet,scorpions on my feet,145 degrees.youll owe me that truck-LOL ill see if i can find one thats easy to get.Theres a ton of those trucks here maybe theyed torch it off for $10-$20?what all else do you need?how far apart is the truck still?I was thinking about going to Seattle in a few weeks im halfway tempted to fly to Ill to help this truck drive,then make you sign a paper you wont cut up or dismantle it.You need someone to get you motivated and kick ya?want me to do the work you can be the tool fetcher,grab me a wobbly 3/8 drive and a 9/16 socket?OH and mix up another batch of grape koolaid and double the sugar!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 02:29 AM   #19
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

actually tecnically i would do a deal liek that with ya with the pullies and any brackets i can scratch up, i need hoses, if you got me all three brake hoses on the truck and pair of rear wheel cylinder,s id give you all the sbc 55-68 pullies i have and whatever brackets i can find, i stil need damn head pipes for angled though......

its up to you,
you sure you would want to come to IL ? this time of the year is ok, 70s and 80s now, rain finally stopped last three days, finally... but eho knows when it may pour again for a few days or longer,,,

poor truck gonna get wet and its not waterproof yet, i did refill rain gutters with seam fill the other day at least, that always helpes since it had none due to TX heat and dry air cooking crackiing it all out.,

forgot what else i was gonna say, oh, the truck is a roller, drivetrain setting in it, engine/radiator and all not hooked up to truck, needs cmpelte entire brakes system replaced al lines and hoses and all, column installed, seat installed, door frame weatherstripping installed, door guts installe,d dash installed, wiring installed in underhood for engine and lights, rear lights wire installed, bumoers installed, cab is bolted now, and front clip is assembled now, driveshaft is in but is 3" too short, needs to slide on more, but that isnt gonna happen with the current rear half.,,.

laterz
Old 06-19-2002, 10:28 AM   #20
Desert Rat

With my fear of flying ill stick with visiting family,but id help turn wrenches just so you could get it done,and see the corn country.I actually have family i havent seen in years in Il and Indiana,been since i was little so im basically a stranger.any good KKK ralleys come up in town soon?
Dude get off your ass go dig up pullies and all brackets,tell me what you have,we can figure a dollar amount,ill send you new parts or cash dont matter,i want to see torch master get one on the road!!
Old 06-19-2002, 05:01 PM   #21
whateva

Quote:
patrick, yes thats nice to know but its much $$ if you are laid off for over 8 months straight, in which i have been so far, and are trying to live off anything you possibly can
dude,how many applications have you filled out in the past 8 months?why dont you ask at one of these junkyards you hang out at. then you can get paid for what you like, cutting up things with a torch!
whateva is offline   Reply With Quote