The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done- Memorial weekend edition

I'm sure a lot of you guys and gals took the weekend off and went somewhere with the family or friends. Normally I go to a car show every Memorial weekend. This year it was canceled, so I stayed at home and worked around the house. I actullay got quit a bit done for a change.

Saturday morning I get up and cleaned my wifes Denali. All I had done to it for a few weeks was give it a quickie wash when it was dirty. It was time for a detail, so I spent a couple of hours cleaning it up inside and out. Then I took it to Jiffy-Lube for a state inspection and an oil change. I found out the tranfer case has a leak at one of the seals, so it gets a trip to the dealer. Oh Joy!

Got home and cleaned the swimming pool, scrubbed algae from the waterfall, and serviced the equipment. Cleaned the deck around the pool, and worked on the flower beds for a couple of hours. Long enough to fill 5 bags full of trimmimgs.

Replaced the latch on my gate leading to my back yard. I had to grind the old latch off since the idiots that installed it welded it on. A new latch, a few screws and a coat of paint and it works like new again.

Invited some friends over to swim and eat. Hung out at the pool and talked hot rods with my buddy while his two youngest boys spent 4 hours swimimg. Man I wish I still had that kind of energy.

Today I went to church, then got back to work on the yard again. I spent another couple of hours trimmig and pulling weeds. Then I took a break from all that fun and repaired my daughters trampoline.

I un-did 8 bolts, swatted two hornets, 47 springs, swatted another hornet, un-did 8 clamps to get all the broken pieces off. Once all the broken pieces were I discovered where all the hornets were coming from, and they discovered who was pissin them off.

After a brief shoot out with a can of Black Flagg wasp and hornet spray I went back to work. I installed 8 bolts, 47 springs, 8 clamps and discovered one of the hornets was trying a sneak attack under my shirt. After a quick dance around in circles that involved ripping my shirt off as a finale, and killing the last of the hornets I declared the job done.

Now I'm taking a break while the weather decides if it wants to rain or shine.

What did you get done......?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
SCOTI

I got your old motor home & unloaded in between downpours. I'm going to try & get it cleaned up (as in lose some of the unnecessary smog stuff & scrub some of the dirt) & maybe even attempt to get it put in tomorrow if the weather will co-operate.

I also got started on my 74 bucket seat frame but didn't make enough progress to justify pics yet.

Tonight or tomorrow I have to replace a breaker in the fuse panel. Sometime during all of the rain these last few days, we had a power outage that popped the circuit that powers all my bathroom & exterior wall outlets. So I'll get to have fun doing that as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Not much really, just worked around the house, washed the Burb and '86, Really just more or less taking it easy. Oh, I did pick some cherries off of the cherry tree so my wife can now make some cherry pies. Nothing very exciting.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Dad took Mom to Nashville for te weekend,so I got to check the cattle,and work on the 1 ton,but things are looking fairly good for tomorrow to be able to work on the 4x4
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:41 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the weekend is not over yet but thus far ive not done much of anything. i listed my van on ebay did a couple of customer calls and then i had a small BBQ
saturday night i went to a pretty decent pub/bar and saw a great band that plays classic rock /southern rock from the 70's-80's and earlier yesterday i went fishing with my buddy again
tomorrow ill be trying to install a radio in my chevy ( found one of those two knob idigital radios with the cassette player) and maybe ill BBQ again

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
Izzy
Trucker.

Got the 83 on a trailer to a shop where I can do the work on weekends.

Packed and put a bunch of chit in storage to get ready for the move next weekend.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:57 PM   #7
bodydropped

went to the beach fir night got home about 4 to hear noise from the motor end up shearin the face of my a/c comp didnt know about it till sat mornin and the face was sittin at the stop sign a block from my house ,went to the beach sat night some lots of boobies,sun sleep, built a go kart,got hail damage on my truck so i got to fix it and im pissed

Last edited by bodydropped; 05-29-2005 at 11:59 PM.
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:03 AM   #8
87 Shortwide

Spent saturday at Heartland Park raceway in topeka for the summernationals, chilled up in the tower suite, went down on the starting line, etc... Great time.

Sunday I did some compression testing and leakdown testing on one of my cars, only to find things I didn't like to see.

Project: 87 GMC shortwide, About to get a little boost
87 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 Shortwide

Sunday I did some compression testing and leakdown testing on one of my cars, only to find things I didn't like to see.
Well . . .... which car?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-30-2005, 01:17 AM   #10
87 Shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
Well . . .... which car?
My formula, lead me to the conclusion that there was a problem in the bottom end assembly. Fortunately, the guy I am buying it from is a great dude and wants to refund what I've got in it so far.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:17 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
..... we had a power outage that popped the circuit that powers all my bathroom & exterior wall outlets. So I'll get to have fun doing that as well.
Sounds like you have a GFI breaker thats tripped. Go check them before you pull your hair out at the breaker box. Please don't ask me how I know....
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:00 AM   #12
87 Shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Sounds like you have a GFI breaker thats tripped. Go check them before you pull your hair out at the breaker box. Please don't ask me how I know....

How do you know?

Old 05-30-2005, 02:20 AM   #13
1974gmc
In Progress

bought parts... steps for my box, rear slider,front drop springs, set of cragers, and a floor patch panel... this was from the swapmeet so i didnt give them much money

i will throw up some pics later

Last edited by 1974gmc; 05-30-2005 at 02:20 AM.
1974gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:59 AM   #14
mingoman

Worked in the yard quite a bit Saturday. Still hanging plywood for the ceiling in my shop. Today my wife is throwing a baby shower for her neice so I'll BBQ most of the morning.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:28 AM   #15
modmach1

This weekend i didnt get to do any thing american car related..but i modified the fenders on my daily driver (Ford Sierra) because the new 17" wheels was very near..Now i have no problems.
1975/71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400
1978 Chevrolet C-10 Fleetside Longbed Scottsdale
1980 Pontiac Phoenix
modmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:58 AM   #16
the baron

I bought saturday two cars for the price of one !!!

- Chevy Monte-Carlo 1979 , V6 Buick 231 ci engine
- Chevy Monte-Carlo 1981 , V6 Chevy 229 ci engine

both in decent shape , except the 1981 had the "nose" missing ( bumper + grille )

I paid 500€ for both cars...

pic's ?

here : http://forum-dreams-cars.net/upload/...3&t=5207&st=0&

greetzz ,

the Baron
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:32 AM   #17
SanitysBane

Replaced the water pump and harmonic balancer on my friends 95 ford f-150, and then change the trans filter on my other friends 94 ford ranger. I hate fords with a pasion that I didn't know could be posible. I got my 3rd gear clutches in for my transmission, only to pull the pan and see that the oil is very dirty, reaks of burned clutches, and has a ton of burned clutch material in it, so a turbo 400 may be in my future. Went truck shopping yesterday, found a bubba rigged 82 piece that he wanted 2800 for it, he bolted an 88+ seat derectly to the floor with out any brackets and it flooped all around, had a 5 dollar pain job, no gagues worked, no speedometer, had a 454 that is gumed up and probally won't be good for long, plus it has peanut port heads, all in all who knows exactly whats wrong with it. So today im going to look at an 83 that needs transmission work, 1500 obo.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:56 AM   #18
C&C Chevy

Went to the lake (Texoma) and got rained on..

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #19
plumbcut
california fill

man N2TRUX you complain about not having a lot of energy, you got about 3 weeks worth of work done, in one weekend (for me anyways)...

this weekend I dropped the dana 44 out of my K25 and tore it down.... spiders went out and took the rest of the axle with it.. no big deal, it held up well for almost 30 years.

I need new gears and a locker and I am going to rebuild the axle shafts (u-joints).... Going to cost me a pretty penny too but Im going to do the install myself so that will save a bit.. still not sure as to which kind of locker im going to use... lockrights are looking pretty attractive right now... anyone have any suggestions?

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:51 PM   #20
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
I got your old motor home & unloaded in between downpours. I'm going to try & get it cleaned up (as in lose some of the unnecessary smog stuff & scrub some of the dirt) & maybe even attempt to get it put in tomorrow if the weather will co-operate.
are you guys witholding information again? BASTIDGES!
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #21
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
For the electrically impaired.... how does one do this? There's only 1 breaker in the panel that has a 'reset' button. I tried resetting it w/o much luck.

I went through the remaining breakers, turned them all off & still no power to the bathroom plugs or outside outlets.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-30-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:50 PM   #22
TrainD5115
North Coast, baby!

I went to a funeral for an old friend Saturday in Oak Harbor, OH then finished all of the yard work at my place. Had a BBQ Sunday at the in-laws house. I know, how do I keep up with all the excitement. Woo Hoo.
3.73's
Still running full CA smog gear!
TrainD5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:05 PM   #23
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
are you guys witholding information again? BASTIDGES!
No, really. I'm pretty sure it's commom knowledge by now that Ken's doing some 'updating' to his 77. I'm just using his hand-me-downs for the v8 swap into my beater.

I'm going from a decent running 6cyl w/a tempermental shifting 3spd manual, a wasted clutch, & manual steering to a 350/350 auto & pwr steering.

As for his swap....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #24
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

i always work Saturdays so my weekend consists of Sun & Mon...
i was (am) home sick with a stupid chest cold this weekend...
the only thing i got done was the baseboards in the entry way and door trim for front door and closet torn up. New stuff going in sometime this week.
Need to replace some vacuum and EGR on my burb sometime this week too... now if i can find the EGR....
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #25
benscool1

My dad and I started building my brothers motor, a 350 4 bolt main. Short block w/40K miles and 882 heads. Gonna have full-length headers, edelbrock intake and rebuilt Q-Jet. BTW, anybody know the proper way to install rocker arms and adjust them to proper tightness? lol
benscool1 is offline   Reply With Quote