The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
SCOTI

Repro Doors: Good or Bad

OK, I'm considering using aftermarket repro doors like what GMCPaul sells.

Has anyone used them? How did they fit? Any pics? I've got a couple of 'used' doors but by the time I get the shop to bring them up to par, I'm guessing I'll have much more than the $250 + shipping for the re-pops once they're done pounding out the dents, fixing any rust, welding up extra holes, + bodywork & primer.

I tried looking back several pages but couldn't find any info. If you know of a link that discusses this, forward it here.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-30-2005 at 05:13 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
djracer

They aren't bad but I'd prefer clean used ones!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:00 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

PM member Subtle71. He just had some put on his truck withing the last month. He (and his body guy)should be able to give you a good idea what they were like.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
SCOTI

ttt
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-31-2005, 09:27 AM   #5
knsmodels
I make Models

Scott....I just put repro doors on my 72. These trucks where never known for the best of lines when it came to the door gaps. Lets face it they where building a "Truck" so who cared....that said....I have an LMC Door on the Drivers side and a Goodmark door on the Passengers ( I found rust on my rustfree door I had purchase for p/s so got that door later). I am very happy with the Goodmark door and I am not real happy with the LMC door. The LMC door does not seem to fit as well especially when I put the Rubber in. I have considered replacing it but since I already painted it I am going to live with it. Both doors are a lighter gauge of steel than the OEM ones. The upper frames do not seem as solid as OEM either. If I had found this site before I got my truck 80% complete I would have waited till I found some OEM doors. But like I said the Goodmark doors do fit well and shut nicely with the Rubber in....Depends how picky you are....Hope this helps....Paul K

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:34 PM   #6
SCOTI

Thanks knsmodels. That's what I'm looking for.

In summary: The Goodmark works but could be better, but it's better than the brand that LMC offers.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-31-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
knsmodels
I make Models

You got it.....

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:27 AM   #8
68LSS1

I just got two Goodmark doors a couple weeks ago. Doing more sheetmetal work so I haven't done a whole lot but hang them and I was quite surprised at how well they fit. I was more concerned about the gaps than the body lines lining up. For me that would of been easier to fix. I think I will need to pull the drivers rocker out a little but again I was quite worried and am now quite happy. Didn't really spend a lot of time aligning them when I hung them either. I could probably take a couple pix if you want but I'd be wondering if they fit some cabs a little better than others.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
uk72step
outta the car velocityboy

Just a thought here, maybe its unfounded but I know I have OEM doors on my truck and too am looking for reputable replacements, but reading this thread I went and looked at my truck. MY drivers door fits really well, flush etc but my passenger sticks out a little at the bottom so maybe it not the repops maybe its the presses? However it MAY just be coincidence, so it will be interesting to watch this one grow.
I thought most parts were produced by one comapny anyhoo or is this just a fable?

Cheers
Lee
Old 06-01-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68LSS1
I just got two Goodmark doors a couple weeks ago. Doing more sheetmetal work so I haven't done a whole lot but hang them and I was quite surprised at how well they fit. I was more concerned about the gaps than the body lines lining up. For me that would of been easier to fix. I think I will need to pull the drivers rocker out a little but again I was quite worried and am now quite happy. Didn't really spend a lot of time aligning them when I hung them either. I could probably take a couple pix if you want but I'd be wondering if they fit some cabs a little better than others.
Heck yeah pics would be great. Gaps & bodylines if possible. If they fit decent enough, I'll just need to find somewhere local (DFW) I can get one.

Thanks 68LSS1!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-01-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
matt67350

I have some doors that are used. With a little work, you'll have a great door.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:38 PM   #12
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

You need Mothertruckers to weigh-in on this one. They have a satisfaction guarantee that even includes shipping refund. You can't beat that with a stick. If I needed a door I wouldn't hesitate to buy an aftermarket one from one of the board vendors...
Old 06-02-2005, 12:50 AM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt67350
I have some doors that are used. With a little work, you'll have a great door.
That's the problem I have now . . .... I've got 2 different used doors that by the time you figure the costs associated w/stripping, welding extra holes up, metal working, fixing mild rust issues (if there is such a thing), epoxy sealing, body-working, priming, blocking, then priming again, you have a used door that now costs a heck of a lot more than $250.

Given the time & space, I have the knowledge to do the job. But I don't have those luxuries @ this time & I don't want this project to drag on like a certain other project lurking in my garage. If a repop fits well, I'm time ahead, which is $$ ahead. Plus, I can hang a door in my driveway (or @ work where it would be delivered ) in an afternoon. OK . . .... I'm full of sh*t. Anything I work on takes @ least 1 week to do based on my luck.

It's amazing how just trying to repair some damage can quickly spiral out of control to the '"you might as well paint the whole truck" syndrome. I decided if any truck in my posession gets some paint, it will be the long term project, not the work truck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #14
djracer

if you use new doors make sure you coat the inside so they don't rust! The Ecote doesn't protect them well!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:18 AM   #15
68LSS1

SCOTI, I'll get those pix up by Sunday night.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:50 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Does one of our vendors sell Counterpart doors?Has anyone used these?What brand were the LMCs?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:23 AM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68LSS1
SCOTI, I'll get those pix up by Sunday night.
You 'da man .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-03-2005, 09:02 AM   #18
Inspector722
Fixing my 67, & loving it

Scoti, Hey man how you doing? When I was up there for the rain meet (i mean truck Meet ) I picked up my cowl hood and fender from a warehouse in the DFW area thru Mothertrucker. So I did not have to pay shipping. They have just about all the sheet metal parts in stock so you would not have to wait. Just contact Ed and pay him, then go to the warhouse and pick up. It would be about a 20 min drive from your work.

BTW this is what I have been up to lately.
Attached Images

Working on: 67, large back glass, 307 V8, 200 4R, 3.73 rearend, Short Stepside Bed

Last edited by Inspector722; 06-03-2005 at 09:03 AM.
Inspector722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector722
Scoti, Hey man how you doing? When I was up there for the rain meet (i mean truck Meet ) I picked up my cowl hood and fender from a warehouse in the DFW area thru Mothertrucker. So I did not have to pay shipping. They have just about all the sheet metal parts in stock so you would not have to wait. Just contact Ed and pay him, then go to the warhouse and pick up. It would be about a 20 min drive from your work.

BTW this is what I have been up to lately.
Yep, I've been in contact w/Ed before & had good interaction w/my questions. I'm waiting on pricing from him as we sit.

I have to ask . . ..... What the heck happened?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-03-2005, 02:28 PM   #20
speedracer
Blank

I was thinking of going with fiberglass doors. Anyone ever played with them? they can't rust and they shave unwanted weight off. My only worry is getting them straight my vette took hours of my live away block the panels straight
speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:16 AM   #21
Inspector722
Fixing my 67, & loving it

When I am around my wife's friends, I tell them I now know better than to talk while she is trying to tell me something important.
But really I now know better than to chase a stray dog out of our yard in the dark. Stepped in a hole and torn 2 of the 3 ligaments you use when you stop and plant you foot to make a turn. Had surgery 5/17, cast is to come off on 6/29.

Working on: 67, large back glass, 307 V8, 200 4R, 3.73 rearend, Short Stepside Bed
Inspector722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:28 AM   #22
SCOTI

Ouch. I hope everything heals w/o issue.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-04-2005, 12:34 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

I thought speedracer was talking about your cast.I hope that fiberglass is straight.Don`t have to worry about rust at least.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:33 AM   #24
68LSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer
I was thinking of going with fiberglass doors. Anyone ever played with them? they can't rust and they shave unwanted weight off. My only worry is getting them straight my vette took hours of my live away block the panels straight
The only fiberglass doors for our trucks that I know of are the US Body ones and I believe that you have to use lexan windows (no roll ups). Not a 100% sure but I think I looked into that a few years back.

Also I must make a correction to my previous post. The doors I got from Mothertruckers are Tri-Plus not Goodmark. Thanks for catching that Ed.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:48 AM   #25
Jwill41

Inspector722, where is the warehouse where you picked up your parts? I bought some rockers from a place on Harry Hines and they were nowhere near the quality of Tri-Plus rockers from GMCPaul.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote