The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
87 Shortwide

Had a little free time today, hit the firewall.

I got a little more done on the firewall, mainly all in prep for the filler. Thursday on my day off I have to take it to a friend and have a small bead rolled into it to clear that crimped seam that runs off the top corner, then it'll be ready to weld on and start shaving.

Project: 87 GMC shortwide, About to get a little boost
87 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 07:50 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Looks good bro.

I thought about shaving mine that far too, but then decided if i did that I would have to shave the middle (by the trans tunnel), and do the drivers side too. IMO, it would then look too smooth for the look I was after, so I left it alone.

Anyhow, I like yours, and can't wait to see more of it.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
87 Shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
Looks good bro.

I thought about shaving mine that far too, but then decided if i did that I would have to shave the middle (by the trans tunnel), and do the drivers side too. IMO, it would then look too smooth for the look I was after, so I left it alone.

Anyhow, I like yours, and can't wait to see more of it.
Thanks man! I haven't totally decided what I'll do with the driver side yet. I am going to go with manual brakes, so the booster will be gone, but I am not sure what I'll do to shave it. I am going to go ahead and fill the seam that runs through the center portion, as well as individually fill whatever holes I won't be using. I will then put holes in to run wiring etc. out below the level of the heads, so they aren't really visible.

Now I finally have more funding for it, since I ended up not purchasing the formula. This means that before long my updates on progress shall include a large hair dryer looking doodad and alot of large pipes

Old 05-30-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 Shortwide
I will then put holes in to run wiring etc. out below the level of the heads, so they aren't really visible.
Here is a tip for ya.

Run the wiring out the bottom of the floor just behind the firewall (on the inside of the cab), then route it behind the lip/channel that runs along the backside/bottom of the firewall.

Does that make sense?

I mounted my 6AL box on the inside passenger side of the firewall, and am able to run all my wires in the above mentioned spot with all of them being invisible until they come out from hiding in order for them to reach their destination.

I too want all the wiring to be hidden, and that lip/channel is the perfect spot to do so.

EDIT: Here is a pic showing my MSD wires exiting the cab, you can also see (sort of) the area I am referring to.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 05-30-2005 at 10:48 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:04 PM   #5
87 Shortwide

That is a good spot. I was wanting to incorporate that lip for them for sure, as it looked perfect to hide. I can run them all before the motor is in and it will come up pretty clean.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:50 AM   #6
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Looks good, 87 Shortwide. Yours look good too, Jeff. I got a couple of questions for you guys. When filling the seam, are you welding them first then lead soldering them or just using body filler? Is it safe to grind down the 'crimped' seam as long as it's reinforced with welds?

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:48 AM   #7
87 Shortwide

I am not sure what I'll do about the seam from the filler panel to the firewall on mine yet. I haven't ever done any lead soldering, so that's out... As far as that crimped seam, I tacked it up closer to the wall then cut it down. I will be getting the filler panel bead rolled where that seam is, so the panel will clear it. Hopefully this will be done this week, so I will post up pics when I get it all fitted and mached up.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:58 PM   #8
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Thanks for the reply. I was curious since your firewall is bare, if the crimped seam somehow provided some structural support. If not then maybe it can be completely eliminated by welding the seam. Regardless, your setup looks good.

I've messed around with lead soldering but nothing real serious. Maybe, we can get The Leadslinger (Bill Hines) to give us a lesson.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:18 AM   #9
SS79chevy

i dont know if that seam is there for structural support or not but i just took a grinder to it and grinded it flat and put a pice of sheet metal over all the holes and screwed it on i did nothing to the seam after grinding it and it has been like that for atlest 2 1/2 years and nothing has happened to it (it is daily driven and driven hard)

BBC in the works
SS79chevy is offline   Reply With Quote