The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
GlennBrittain

More 700R4 Progress and Problems

I finished the installation finally. As I said in the last post, my x member for the rear mount was of unknown origin, the mount would not fit. The stock mount was to wide, pushed the trany against the bottom of the truck, and still did not have room. Even if it had bolted up the x member would have prevented access to the pan bolts. I used a cut off wheel to cut the rubber off of the mount. Bolted the mount to the trany, bolted the x member to the frame in existing holes, lowered the trany down till the mount was resting on top the x member, with the x member back far enough to access the pan bolts, then welded the mount to the x member back edge of the mount only. On the TCI web site, they recommend not using a solid mount so I will have to fab an x member that I can use a stock mount on. The entire pressure test as directed by Bow Tie Overdrive went well, I still need to adjust to soften the first to second shift.
The bad news was pulled the truck into the shop, would not start again. I had reinstalled a MSD dizzy that was returned for repair. There was much activity performed changing dizzy’s and caps. I had the 9 volts at the coil when turning over the starter. Finally ran a hot wire; battery to coil and the truck started the first try. I found the wire was damaged under the insulation; only one stand of the wire was making continuity. This allowed the 9 volt reading but would not allow enough amperage to fire the coil.
I also have a problem with a tail shaft seal leaking and a temperature gauge to install.
GlennBrittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:41 AM   #2
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I don;t remember this swap being a pain at all. My truck is a C-20, 350 in forward mounts, turbo 350 tranny. I moved my trany x-member back and it literally bolted right up. No hole drillin, nothin. Think I used a turbo 350 tranny mount too. Only hard part to me was adjustin the TV cable to where it shifted like I wanted. And even then that was only a minor hassle.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

700r4 and other problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennBrittain
I finished the installation finally. As I said in the last post, my x member for the rear mount was of unknown origin, the mount would not fit. The stock mount was to wide, pushed the trany against the bottom of the truck, and still did not have room. Even if it had bolted up the x member would have prevented access to the pan bolts. I used a cut off wheel to cut the rubber off of the mount. Bolted the mount to the trany, bolted the x member to the frame in existing holes, lowered the trany down till the mount was resting on top the x member, with the x member back far enough to access the pan bolts, then welded the mount to the x member back edge of the mount only. On the TCI web site, they recommend not using a solid mount so I will have to fab an x member that I can use a stock mount on. The entire pressure test as directed by Bow Tie Overdrive went well, I still need to adjust to soften the first to second shift.
The bad news was pulled the truck into the shop, would not start again. I had reinstalled a MSD dizzy that was returned for repair. There was much activity performed changing dizzy’s and caps. I had the 9 volts at the coil when turning over the starter. Finally ran a hot wire; battery to coil and the truck started the first try. I found the wire was damaged under the insulation; only one stand of the wire was making continuity. This allowed the 9 volt reading but would not allow enough amperage to fire the coil.
I also have a problem with a tail shaft seal leaking and a temperature gauge to install.
My 67 stepside has a 700r4 which was installed when I bought it and it is on the stock crossmember which is bolted to the frame with no mods. My frame has either four or six holes on each side for the various trannys. There are crossmembers for the 700r4 on the aftermarket but they are $150 and I don't see why you couldn't just get a th350 xmember from the junkyard for a few bucks.
Do you have the engine in the forward mount holes like C-wing said?
I don't remember what configuration you have but I assume it's 350 with hei. Did you do a points conversion? If so the Hei wire is usually run from the unfused terminal on the fuse block and will provide power with the key on.
The tailshaft seal is easy to change and costs about $5.00.
Make sure the temperature gage has the matching sensor if you are using an aftermarket guage.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
Deuce

I had to re-drill my frame.

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
Don Brace

I am putting a 700R4 into a Longhorn. I have to redrill the frame. Truck had a 350 with a turbo 350. Half of the X member holes line up.
Don
58 Impalla Coupe
58 Bel-Aire 4D HT
61 Impala CVRT 409 4 SP
2- 71 Longhorns
Always looking for old toy trains, Juke boxes Pin ball and game machines.
Don Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Wow, guess I got lucky. Mine is a 72 c20 long bed. Had a turbo 350 in it but had that kick down thingy on the gas pedal. So it MIGHT have had a 400 in it. My glove box list is at home so can;t verify. Definately had the 350eng stock. Tranny just bolted up.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
72MARIO

I had stock V8 mounts. 350 and a 700R I had to drill holes in the top and bottom of the frame.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
Ackattack

I had to drill holes for my 700R4 also.

Does it matter what vehicle the 700R4 came from? Mine was out of an astro van. Maybe the ones out of pickups just bolt right up?
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:40 PM   #9
GlennBrittain

My problem with the fit was due to the engine being in the back holes. I do not know if I6 motor stands will work on a 350, if they will that is what I must have as my 350 seems a little high.
GlennBrittain is offline   Reply With Quote