The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2005, 04:49 AM   #1
Smallz72project

Exclamation Leafs vs 3 link?

I have a 72 GMC lwb with leaf spring suspension out back, and just purchased a 70 Chevy lwb with coils and factory three link suspension. I am basically combining the two into one. I dont plan on hauling much or towing anything too often or of extreme weight, which is the better chassis to use? Did any swb trucks come with the three link? I perfer the swb over the lwb and was thinking of shortening the frame, how would I go about keeping the three link if that is the way I choose to go? Any advice/pics are appreciated.
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:37 AM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

The coil rear is actually the most common by far. It'll hold as much weight as any 1/2 ton truck and certainly rides better than leafs.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:22 AM   #3
1low1967

If your going to do a swb what are yaa gonna do with the lwb??? If you want to get rid of them or sell one PLEASE let me know...
1low1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
Smallz72project

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1low1967
If your going to do a swb what are yaa gonna do with the lwb??? If you want to get rid of them or sell one PLEASE let me know...
1low1967 are you refering to the frame or the box? If I choose to go along with the swb, I am simply going to shorten my frame and then order all new panels and braces for the short box. I am trading my frame from the 72 for the 70 with the coils and the box on the 72 goes with the frame, but the box on the 70 isnt in perfect shape, as far as I know thus far theres not really any rust on it but there are some dents, if I choose to go with the swb, it wont be for some time unless I can get my hands on a short box, (doesnt have to be in great condition) just something that I can throw on till I can purchase the new one
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote