The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2005, 01:43 AM   #1
87chev_silverado

????

1st post i have a dilemma i recently bought my first chevy its a 87 silverado its super sweet i dont know much about motors and such but i beleive a rod is knocking its got a 350 fuel injected the cam and lifters are hi per the tranny has been reprogrammed and i am not sure what all that even means i just know this truck was fast !!!!!! its lowered and had some suspension work i want to fix my engine what can i do to fix this ????? with the end result being its still a hot rod and it dont cost me 3 or 4 grand for a new motor
87chev_silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 02:10 AM   #2
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I it is a rod,it's gonna need a crank,and bearings at the very least.Have it checked out asap,as time could very well be money in this case
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
Moostifer
a fool with no money

could be any number of things, depending on where and how loud the knock is. Best case... it's an exhaust leak tick or a loose rocker tap, worse case.... a rod knocking. But even a rod knocking should not require engine replacement. if you don't know very much about engines, take it to a reliable mechanic, he or she (politically correct ) will be able to tell you very quickly what it is. drive it as little as possible until you can have it checked out. if it's a spun rod bearing, you could be doing more damage to the crank every time you start it. more damage equals more money

before, during and still during
http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/truck/

http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/motor/
Moostifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
87chev_silverado

Is there some sort of kit i can buy with the parts i would need to rebuild the bottom half of my motor?
Old 06-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
Moostifer
a fool with no money

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chev_silverado
Is there some sort of kit i can buy with the parts i would need to rebuild the bottom half of my motor?

sure, it's called a rotating assembly kit, (crank,rods,bearings,pistons,rings...) but it's not just a "slap it in there and your done" type deal. if it is a rod knocking due to a spun bearing, more than likely the rod journel(s) on the crank need to be turned down to smooth out any damage. this is definitely cheaper than buying a kit. whether it's a new crank or one that is turned down, tolerences on all the journels/bearing should at the very least be checked with "plasti-gage" and all fasteners torqued to the right specs... very detailed stuff

if this is way above your skill level, then it might be a better option to buy a used motor and just swap them out... then you can get a manuel and rebuild the one you took out at your own pace. It would be a great learning experience too!

Old 06-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #6
87chev_silverado

THANKS a bunch for the info and how do i tell for sure its a rod and what couldve caused it to start knocking , i had my oil changed the day it happened drove 200 miles stopped at a store and sorta heard something clicking under the valve cover i also noticed i was smoking out the back as i was headed down the freeway but i paid it no mind really well 30 miles on my way home i lost oil pressure and power and then it died i had it towed home it starts now but it hurts to hear the n
oise it makes

Last edited by 87chev_silverado; 06-08-2005 at 12:22 AM. Reason: typpos
Old 06-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #7
Moostifer
a fool with no money

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chev_silverado
THANKS a bunch for the info and how do i tell for sure its a rod and what couldve caused it to start knocking , i had my oil changed the day it happened drove 200 miles stopped at a store and sorta heard something clicking under the valve cover i also noticed i was smoking out the back as i was headed down the freeway but i paid it no mind really well 30 miles on my way home i lost oil pressure and power and then it died i had it towed home it starts now but it hurts to hear the n
oise it makes
sounds like who ever changed your oil didn't tighten the drain plug or forgot to make sure the oil seal on the old oil filter wasn't stuck to the block. look under your truck for oil splash in these areas.

that clicking noise was a rocker tapping because your hydrolic lifter wasn't getting enough oil to keep it pumped up.

black smoke was either from the leaking oil splashing on the exhaust or your rings were fried from no oil..... not good!

no oil = no pressure... not good!

if the noise is a squawling... thats your dry bearings trying to spin on your dry crank... not good!

if it's a loud knock... bent rod or stacked bearing... not good

also... if there's no oil, your cam,lifters,cylinder walls & oil pump could be damaged as well.

I would have a certified mechanic check the oil filter & plug so you will have proof as to what caused it, then I would seek legal action against whoever did the oil change for repairs.

I would definitly have it completely rebuilt or buy another one...

sorry the the bad luck...

Old 06-09-2005, 01:04 AM   #8
87chev_silverado

wow and thanks again its a real hard loud knocking usually when i accelerate looks like itl be awhile before i get her screaming down the road again i was hoping it was simpler but looks like im gonna have tow it in to a shop oh and theres oil and it had oil the whole time
still has oil even