The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
R@nger
Psalm 23

Distributor install...?

Well I just got another distributor in the mail today from Super Duck and I'm getting ready to take out my old one and put this guy in.

I have a question though...how do I put in the distributor without totally messing up my timing? Will lining up the rotor on the new dizzy like the rotor is in my old dizzy get it close enough? Also lets say its off by alot could I just turn the dizzy so the rotor is right at the #1 cylinder at TDC?

This will actually be my first time removing the distributor and I'm pretty sure I can get it out alright but putting in another distributor and have it work I'm a little iffy on.

Thanks,

Kevin

By the way Super Duck is one heck of a nice guy .

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy
R@nger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
mer316

I would set the engine on TDC first then see where the rotor points and get the new one as close that as I could. Then make sure that the wires on the cap match

Robby
mer316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
68haywagon
I'm watching you!

When I did mine on my inline I pulled the #1 spark plug and put a wad of paper towel in the hole and cranked it till it blew off (shot like 4 or 5 feet and hit my mom ). Then lined up the timing marks on the crank pulley and the timing tab to 0. Pulled the old distributer and put the new one in. Point it to where the #1 spot is on the cap. Put the hold down on loosely and start her up. Set the timing then snug down the hold down.

Please someone add what you need if something here doesn't work with the V8.

Mike
1968 Chevrolet C-10 longbed fleetside - sold
68haywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

i've never pullled a dist. either but i thought as long as you mark the orientation of the rotor before taken it out .... and then put the new dizzy back in the exact same place ...everything would be fine... maybe alittle fine tuning with the timing... am i wrong ??

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
R@nger
Psalm 23

Ok I'm almost finish...I'm seating the distributor currently. However I think I've run into a hang up. The new dizzy doesn't want to seat down all the way. Its about maybe 1/4in from the seat on the dizzy where the o-ring is. Any suggestions?

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy
Old 06-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #6
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

hum, im suprised noone has mentioned this. i agree, set it at tdc on number one, with spark plug out (at least thats how i do it).

the tricky thing here is a little v shaped head bolt like thing, that actualy spins the distrbutor. when you pull the dist. out, many times (if not always) the bolt thing will move. so when you put the dist back in, its moved a few inches clockwise.

there are two fixes, 1, get a long flathead screw driver and move it back, so your cap points where it needs to, or pick up and drop the distributor in place several times untill it works its way back around. this will make sence when you do it. it reminds me of a revolver pistol, keep pulling the trigger until you get to the bullet.

im sure there is a FAQ on this someplace
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:00 PM   #7
68haywagon
I'm watching you!

Sounds like the oil pump and shaft on the dizzy are not lining up.

Mike
1968 Chevrolet C-10 longbed fleetside - sold
68haywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
R@nger
Psalm 23

Oooo ok that makes since mtdave...ty very much. This bolt would be in the engine at the bottom where the dizzy goes right? I'll see what I can do.

UPDATE: Ok I found it and the dizzy dropped right down. Now I've got to spin it back around to where I need it because it moved around a good bit.

Last edited by R@nger; 06-08-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I've got that close before and had it hang up just a fuzz away. Think the slot on the oil pump shaft was turned just a fuzz. Litterally spent HOURS takin out the dizzy, fiddelin with the pump shaft, reinstallin.... Finally got fed up. Hooked up a bump switch, lightly held down the dizzy and bumped the motor. Dizzy dropped right in. Timing was not messed up at all. Pretty sure when you are that close the gears are meshed, just not all the way.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:04 PM   #10
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

sounds like youll get it now. that issue has caused more people more trouble than i can imagine.

for me the easy way is to just pick up the distrib, and set it back down. have to do it a dozen times or so, but it will come right around, with no fishing in there with a screw driver!
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #11
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

next time use some grease on the distb gear it makes it go on easier

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:52 AM   #12
R@nger
Psalm 23

Well well well...I installed the new distributor and cranked her up...she is alive! Started right up!

I can't even tell you guys how thrilled I am that my truck started and is running again. It has been a long time coming and ALOT of aggrivation chasing ghosts and fixing/replacing many many things.

I'd like to thank everyone that has been so very helpful. Theres too many names to mention but I would like to give a big thanks to Super Duck as he sent me a distributor(which ended my frustration)...thanks a million Mr. Duckett. Also mtdave thanks alot for that explaination of the distributor install..I would have been messing with that forever if you hadn't have clued me in on the little v bolt! Again thanks to everyone else that has helped me so much though this, you guys are awesome. I know some of you know how much trouble I've been having lately with my dizzy and such so I have one word to end this....SUCCESS!!!

Old 06-09-2005, 04:04 AM   #13
Super Duck
Chevy Nuttttt

Just glad it's running again. Have fun driving it again!

hey who lernt me to spell

is there anything else?
Super Duck is offline   Reply With Quote