The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2005, 01:26 AM   #1
shelby987

They call me dino

Because apparently I am a dinosaur....
I am 23 years old, and ashamed of my own generation.......just got done watching a show called "tricked out" and apparently when you want to "sooop up" your car.....all you need to do is swap our your factory PCM....you dont need a new cam....a new carb, new rear gears, tranny, or anything having to do with your actual drivetrain....no no....you need a new computer and bigger injectors.

When I was growing up hot rodders meant the guys that pulled cars out of the junk yard and put the biggest engine into that car/truck that would physically fit....not anymore.....now it means you need graphics (15hp) a giant wing (25hp) a coffee can exhaust (30hp) and by all means a new sound system (60-150hp....depending on total db output).......god help us all....we are all doomed!!!!!
my father is 54 years old this year, he drives a 1955 cameo with a 350 built vette motor and a muncie m-21.....and he loves nothing more than to pull up next to a 'ricer' and roast them in his 50 year old truck.....are we all to late to enjoy this fun of putting these punks in their place? I honestly worry that all the remaining classics whether they be camaros or K20's are doomed to be put in the junk yard to make steel for the ricers that will inevtably rule the world. If you would rather drive over these vehicles than see them on the road, please give me a little support and let me know I am not alone. If I am in the wrong forum or just in the wrong, I appologive, frustration drives men to the edge of reason, and I felt that people here could understand my pain.
Thanks
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:01 AM   #2
rwgregory

Dinosaur and damn proud of it!

Son, with words like that you are destined for greatness! I will be 50 years
young this month and I agree with every word of it. I sincerely hope there
are more young people out there with half of your common sense, grit,and
spunk! Give your dad a pat on the back for me. You were raised right!
rwgregory

ps. you ever think about runnin' for president....

67 GMC 2500 ,2w/d wide box
305 V-6, 4-speed
rwgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 08:08 AM   #3
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

I'm with you pal....

I have a hard time believing that a 1980 something ricer of any sort will ever be a classic anything. At 50 and having grown up in the muscle car era I'm with you. The cars and trucks are still out there and will be for some time to come. You just gotta look for them and unfortunately shell out more dough. There are a bunch of Baby Boomers with a load of money (not me) that grew up with the cars and trucks of the 60's and early 70's that are paying big bucks for basket cases and obsecene amounts of money to have someone else restore them. I'm glad they are there since they are perserving the last great American cars and trucks but it sure makes it expensive for the rest of us.

Welcome to the era of old farts, you're right on course......
Old 06-11-2005, 09:03 AM   #4
1972ChevyCheyenne

I here you, I am 21 and totally agree ricers can't do anything mechanical. If its not computer related they can't do it. Just remember that they will never know what torque is. I am sure we genarate more torque assmembling our engine then theirs produce. I am its great watch then burn out. With all the horsepower (not) they can get those fronts spinning. I think they need to go to school more and get an education in wieght transfer because their's suck. Just remember though that playing with pcm and ecm can result in kickass performance when you do all the mechanical work too. Have fun.

Jamie
1972ChevyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #5
meathead95
computer illiterate

im 27 and all i can say is AMEN BROTHER!
Old 06-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #6
krue
Designated A-hole!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:08 AM   #7
Nima
Blue 67

Right thoughts. I agree.
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:40 AM   #8
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

35, and a muscle car era guy all the way, and the imports
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:44 AM   #9
3 on the tree

I'm 48 and the closest I've come to a ricer is a Triumph Spitfire with a GT-6 motor in it. Roasted alot of ricer butts with that one. Lettem blow their dough on the Japcrap, and leave the oldiron for us that know where its at.
3 on the tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Believe me, you are on the RIGHT forum! LOL! I'm older than your dad, and feel just the same! Welcome aboard!
Old 06-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #11

Ricers

Hey, if that's what they like, more power to'em. At least they're not buying up all the chevy parts. I'm like your dad, I'm 54, and really enjoy a romp through the gears in my 327/4spd powered model A. I have three sons and they all drive chevy trucks. It's in their blood, I guess. I'd say you're among friends here. Frank
Old 06-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #12
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

I'm effing 17 and based on your qualifications, i'm a dinosaur! i hate fartcan cars... only cool imports are the sleepers that have like mucho horsepower and appear factory on the outside. I'd much rather a large cubic inch monster than a tiny little putt machine.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #13
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I being 34 know what you are saying. the other day I was at the local "stop-n-rob" when up pulls a ratmaro (unfinished & rusty camaro). late 70's vintage with cragar SS's & a big bowtie in the back window. first thing comes to my mind is my high school days having things of the sort. then out pops 3 high school aged guys!!!!!!! 2 of them go inside while the driver fidgets with the key to open the trunk. <hmmm, interesting, whats he doing?> he gets it open & pulls the air hose over to air up the shocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whoooooo-hoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
I had a smile on my face that Mike Tyson couldnt remove.

yet I am on top of the fence on the ricer/muscle car debate. keep in mind the ricers are having fun whithin their budget and knowledge. to that I give them a Kudos.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #14
justin_yz426

WORD! I'm 18 and disgusted with my generation and where this world is going. I wish I grew up back in the early 1900's. Sure we have better health and technology but for the most part I think we have gone downhill. Garth Brooks sang it best: "I'm much to young to feel this damn old"
justin_yz426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #15
MAC67
&quot; SHOW ME&quot;

25 here , at 10 i was flipping through every hotrod and super chevy magazine i could find when guys in my class were talking about the latest mario brothers cheats they had found i was digging through a "how to hotrod the small block chevy" and memorizing torque specs, at 12 i scooped horse stalls for a summer and saved up 400 bucks , i bought a 30 ford model a 2 dr sedan and a 55 chevy 4 door sedan lol , didnt know what i was gonna do withth em but hey i had em , once i realized they were both to far gone for me to tackle i sold them at around 15 and bought a 55 2 door post , did up a healthy small block , radiused the rear wheel wells and bammo had a two lane blacktop clone that anyone would enjoy , that was my highschool ride along with numerous other hotrods and big chevy 4wds, i learned by watching and have always had a thirst for this type of thing i listen i watch i learn , now ive got my bigggg blazer and a 68 shortbed with a blown 350 asleep under the hood , its a really good feeling to here that thing with ground effects start buzzing as with a flick of the throttle the blower says " not today jr." its all in what you enjoy , personally i have to laugh everytime i see one of those cars but like someone said above , that just means there are more bigblock gm stuff layin out there for the picking , let them by up all the civics and slam the sticker packs to em , im gonna drag that 57 2 door post out of the barn and show em what quick is all about

Last edited by MAC67; 06-11-2005 at 02:38 PM.
MAC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #16
jt67
Registered Car Nut

Ill be 24 this Oct. and I agree with you, but... I also own a 88 Toyota truck 4x4 and I have plans to install a cam, bigger injectors and bore it out, to go with the header and intake I already installed.Now, I agree that MOSt of the kids that have a ricer are just trying to show off and not interested in making real power. I still enjoy a V8 just as much as the next guy, but the basics are the same if you want to make power. I still wouldnt trade my 67 chevy for an import though.IMHO
jt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #17
68Stepbed

I'm 26. Pesonally I just don't like imports at all. Most of these kids need to take economics again or something. The money it costs to build a ricer, I would rather put money in an older muscle car or truck and still have something to be proud of. I talked to a guy one day that had a Civic. He was bragging that it would run 8's in the 1/8th mile. I was almost impressed until I asked him how much money he had in it. He said somewhere around 25,000!! IN A HONDA CIVIC!! I asked him if it hurt and he just looked at me funny. I can buy an 80 Malibu for 400 bucks, throw a 3500 dollar 383 sroker in and run 8's! Computers and fuel injection is great and there is lots of potential there, but you can only go so far with it. I'll take my thumpin' V8's over high-pitched, coffee-can sounding 4-bangers any day.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #18
Stingray42
Woot.

19 years old here
Old 06-11-2005, 08:49 PM   #19
ZmOz
Account Suspended

I think the biggest problem with ricers is the attitudes of the drivers. Most of these dumbasses spend their money on wings and carbon fiber hoods, and no money in the engine. Then they truely think they drive one of the fastest cars on the road. I can blow the doors off of most of them in my $4000, 200hp Cherokee with oversized tires for god sake.

A while ago there was some idiot with a fart pipe following me so close I couldn't see his headlights. We both pulled into the same parking lot and he parked next to me. When I got out I said "hey, I think something's wrong with your car. It sounds like ****". The look on his face was priceless...
ZmOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #20
HerLonghorn71
Account Suspended

I'm 28 (for a little while anyways) And i agree with you 100%
HerLonghorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:51 PM   #21
Touch_Of_Madness
FORMER MEMBER

Count me in just not at this message board.

I am through with trying to open minds who are the "Entitlement Generation" and rather lost in their own little worlds. Heaven forbid someone try to open their minds to many different points of view from their own myopic outlook.

Maybe someday after they have sold out the last 'Real American' ideas they will realize that if we dont stand up for who we are - we wont be anything.

Let them continue buying "Americana" made in China for all I care as they sell out to communism and dont even know it.

Josh? Please remove my membership and posts from this message board.

Last edited by Touch_Of_Madness; 07-04-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Touch_Of_Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #22
86k10

Count me in too, I'll be 45 next month and it feels good to have been brought up in an era of (Real cars) not all this import junk. My brother has a 66 Impala SS and it has a bumper sticker on it that says bye bye rice boy. Lets hear it for the real muscle cars which is something the Japs can only dream about.
86 GMC 5.0
77 Olds 98 6.6

REAL AMERICANS, DRIVE AMERICAN
86k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #23
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocwon
I have a hard time believing that a 1980 something ricer of any sort will ever be a classic anything.
I know someone with a 1000HP Supra who would probably love to help you believe.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:40 AM   #24
bpmcgee

Funny story relating to this -- a guy who works a couple of cubicles down heard that I work on cars as a hobby and wandered down to talk to me.

His dream is to get a hatchback Civic.

Him: I think I'm going to start with a new exhaust.

Me: That's a good start. You might find yourself running a bit lean after that. How hard is it to adjust the EFI in that?

Him: Oh, I don't want to do anything mechanical. I was thinking next maybe a chin spoiler and a really AGRESSIVE hood badge. Like "Type R" or something.

Me: I hear each badge you add gives you 5 horsepower at the rear wheel!

Is working with this guy going to taint me? Will I find myself stick 3 foot tall "Type R" logos to my 60 Apache? I'm DOOMED!

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 02:24 AM   #25
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I'll be 21 in 2 weeks....i've got no problem with import cars that are actually fast....especially when the owner has taken the time to mod them out. Getting 300+ horsepower out of a 4-cylinder 2.0 litre engine is quite a task. But i hate the average poser import ride with a sticker kit, fart can, and wing just as much as the next guy. I can't understand the point of modding your car to look fast when it is horribly slow. But hey, each to his own.
I'm much more ashamed of my generation for other things....like the general lack of responsibility, selfishness, shallowness, and lack of independent thought. Amazing how many people my age still live 100% off their parents and only care about having a new pair of Abercrombie jeans and a cellphone.....

Last edited by lukecp; 06-12-2005 at 02:28 AM.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote