The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
76GMCK15

California SMOG Story

I rarely post to this site, but look at the posts on a regular basis. I decided that I would share my California smog experience.

Two years ago I bought an abused 76 GMC K15. The previous owner had "connections" and was able to get it smogged, no problem. So, a month ago I recieved my annual registration and low and behold I had to report to a test only station. I was some nervous because of the horror stories I have read about (ie gross polluter). Here are the things I did to get this baby to pass.

-New AIR Pipe on passenger side (multiple holes with rust)
-New check valves (Both rotten on the inside)
-New smog pump (soiled with exhaust and not pumping air)
-Clean, rebuild and return carb to specs (The power piston had been cut - replaced it with power piston from a junk yard carb, holes plugged in space next to fuel bowl (?) - removed the plugs, new accelerator pump, standard rebuild kit)
-New vacuum lines.
-New distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires.
-Set timing within 3 degrees of spec (a california law - and they checked it at the station).
-Adjust the rpm and lean drop to specs.
-Bought some engine conditioner called Blue Sky and followed the directions (I don't know if this helped or not). Filled with Premium gas from Chevron.
-Right before I went to the smog station I changed the oil, oil filter and air filter.
-Drove it hard for 20 minutes. (It was a hot day in the central valley and it got very hot in the smog station - maybe this helped)

I don't have the numbers, but I will post them tonight. To say the least, she passed with flying colors! The smog guy could not believe that the numbers were so low.

Sorry for the long post! I had to share this, because if this truck can pass, any vehicle can pass with a little work.

CD
76GMCK15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
Brad_Olson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GMCK15
-Clean, rebuild and return carb to specs (The power piston had been cut - replaced it with power piston from a junk yard carb, holes plugged in space next to fuel bowl (?) - removed the plugs, new accelerator pump, standard rebuild kit)
I've never heard of Q-Jet mods like this...I wonder what they're supposed to do or what the P.O. was *thinking* they'd do!

Brad
Brad_Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
76GMCK15

This link may shed some light on the subject of Q-jet modifications. www.florida4x4.com/tech/quadrajet/qjtshoot.pdf
76GMCK15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
82c10
needin' money

good thing we don't have any in oklahoma, i'm glad i don't live in california, we don't even have regular inspections
82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
plumbcut
california fill

good story! I can relate....

My 77 gmc k25 was failed once because of a "broken pcv valve grommet" in the valve cover, and an "illegal" peice of tube connecting the breather tube to the air cleaner.. it was a peice of heater hose which I think every truck out there has on it.... The smog tech must have been having a bad day..... it passed the sniffer fine (after doing much of the same stuff you did to your truck.. the AIR tubes, the tuneup & carb rebuild, the whole 9 yards...)

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:32 AM   #6
bluejimmy76

I run a test only center in the bay area, and I have a 76 GMC that I had to smog it when I bought it. Suprisingly these trucks run really clean under load(on the dyno) as long as they are tuned properly. As far as visual inspection, each tech has his own interpretation of the laws and guidelines regarding whats considered "pass" and "fail". Not making any excuses but broken pcv grommet, no brainer, thats a defective pcv system-fail.
Now the hose for the pcv breather, I know what your talkin about, by law heater hose isn't pcv hose, it will deteriorate faster than the OE stuff, moreover I don't even know where you would get the OE stuff!
You know Im into hot rods, I build performance engines on the side and help out alot of buddies tuning their cars. Im not the poster child for the smog program but I don't want to be a hypocrite. I do push the limits of aftermarket performace parts and how they apply to smog. You guys have any questions regarding smog don't hesitate to ask me.

Owned:
76 chevy suburban
85 chevy K1500
90 chevy C1500
90 chevy K1500 sub
97 chevy C3500 crewcab dually
2000 chevy C3500 crewcab dually

bluejimmy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:24 PM   #7
plumbcut
california fill

there was nothing defective about it, the grommet was not even maybe a year old... bought it from napa at some point.. "belkin" brand if i remember correctly. there were no peices missing, it wasnt falling apart, but cheap rubber parts have a tendency to get that dry-cracking syndrome. it was completely fine.. I think the smog tech got irritated when he sarcastically asked "you think that thing will pass?" as I waited in line... I confidently replied "I KNOW it will pass"... well I guess "he won".... Luckily it was only the free pre-test that he was doing.. I immediately took it down to the next town over and found another smog guy w/o an insecurity problem, and it passed no problem.......

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote