The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

Lil help with HOOD gap??

Okay, about the only thing original on my truck is the cab and cowl cover. I have a reproduction stepbed (thanks to Ed at mothertruckers). I also have repro doors. They are Tri-Plus and I think they fit great. The entire front clip is reproduction also. The fenders, inner fenders, and core support bolted together way too easy...no problems wahta so ever. Then< i put my repro cowl hood on. The gap on the passenger side is 5/8" at the front. It is onlt 1/4" on the driver's side (that's fine). I can not figure out how to narrow the 5/8" passenger side. I loosened up all the bolts where the frender meets the core support, but there just doesn'r seem to be any adjustment that way. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Passenger side gap:

Passenger side view:

Driver's side gap:

Driver's side view:

Thanks for any help!

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
TN70C10

I guess the first thing I would do is pull the hood and measure across the fender lips by the cowl and then agian by the core support. That will atleast let you know if its the truck or the hood. If the difference its in the truck you may have to modify the core support on the passanger side. If its in the hood ... I dont know.
TN70C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
smokekiki
Mike

Make sure Your hinges are in good shape.Get some body shims.With replacing everything up front,You are going to need to move things around to get the proper gaps.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

I have a similar problem, would like to hear some more opinions... On my truck all the sheet metal is origional...
Old 06-16-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
curbyk
69 C-10 project

Try adjusting from the hood hinges, I don't have mine adjusted perfect, but that is where I adjusted it from. I never replaced any fenders but did have the hood off and it was a real pain to adjust. Trial and error was my method.
Good luck.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Parts alwyas need tweaked when reinstalling/replacing, aftermarket or NOS. One this I would check /do first. If you put new mounts for your core support and still have the original mounts on your cab, I would make sure all the mounts are new first. Then loosenor completely remove the inner fenders. I had to tweak my core support some to allow the front on the fenders to slide in enough enoungh. While your are doing your alignments, I also recommend your have your gril in place also.

I also think your hood needs some adjustments too,, quite possibly new hinges. From what I see it is not sitting close to flush with your cowl cover.

Reassembling and/or replacing body parts require a lot of patience. Don't get in a rush to get it all perfect on the first round. Adjucst a little here, then a little there. Eventually you'll get it even.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
Green Machine

Looks like just the right fender need to come in. The two bolts that hold fender to support may need to have holes in support elongated, Some edge core support may need to be filed/ground off to allow more movement. Triangle braces in corner may be out of adjustment ant need holes made oversize also. Battery box may be holding something also.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
Sillyoldman

I agree that the fender needs to come in. The lines are good on one side, and look good along the cowl on the crooked side. Gap widens towards the front. I'd slip the outer grille on and see how much and where it is off.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:54 PM   #9
purple gas

I'd think moving your drivers side hinge forward might push the passenger side front closer to the fender. Like said above don't tighten ANYTHING involved till you get your lines straight. ( that includes your core support ) I've taken apart several and re-assembled a couple and lots of shims is a good thing, they never seem to be in the same place on every truck either. And keep in mind sometimes a push here equals a pull somewhere else. Maybe pulling the bottoms of fenders will tighten up gaps at the top? Then again maybe not, it depnds if & where things pivot. Sometimes you have to split differnces to get your gaps.. And sometimes you have to go for a walk and calm down.( trust me on this ) Good luck to ya brother, I feel your frustration.

Last edited by purple gas; 06-16-2005 at 08:57 PM.
purple gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #10
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

A couple of questions need to be answered. Did you remove the cab from the chassis? If so are you sure it is sitting on the frame square? Are your hood hinges new? Are you sure the core support is centered on its mounts? Was it before? You can take your core supoort loose and move it toward the drivers side slightly and that will help it. Slotting the holes in the core support for the fender will help some also. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:24 PM   #11
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your input. I hope to get back out there and work on it some this weekend. The answer to some of your questions:

No, I haven't removed the cab; the cab mounts are original.

Yes, I do have new hinges and springs...they are aftermarket..they did not have original GM ones available when I bought everything, and of course I could not wait.

The core support is new and has new mounts and hardware.

I do have a brand new grill (with the CHEVROLET stamped in it). I started to put it on, but was by myself and almost dropped it a couple of times. I would have been so pissed if I dinged it. That aluminum is so fragile.

I'll let ya'll know what I figure out. Purple Gas, you are so right about going for a walk and calming down. The BFH doesn't work so well with sheet metal...lol

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote