The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

starter

last week my starter went out. it was a couple weeks coming. I turn the key and click click then vroom. but last thursday I went out and nothing but clicks. so I took it out * * and took it to be tested. it was bad. I got a new one yesterday. and put it in. this time I got Nothing. not even a click. no radio,lights ect. I must say, the time between taking the starter out and puting in the new, I had the ground wire off and I have my radio hooked right up to the battery termal. so "mabe" it drained it. so today I took out the battery and hooked it up to a charger for about 5 hours and put it back in. I still nothing but my back lighting from my radio is on. I am geting curent because I am geting sparks lol . I have two questions. one is what else could be wrong. and another is which turmal do I put the small wire too * I assume it is the coil wire*? I dont know it my battery is still dead. I am going to hook up our car battery to it to find out. any help would be greatly wanted. thanks matt

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
SSC's76
No No

The IGN wire goes to the S terminal. I'd double check your connections, make sure they are good and either cable isnt broken in any areas. Might want to load test the battery while you are at it to make sure it still has enough AMPs to start the engine. If all this fails grab a test light and a friend. While in the crank posistion you should have power to that S terminal, if you do and all the other components check out the new starter is bad.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Eyegore
What Hump?

A trick a mechanic taught me to determine if it is the starter is tapping it lightly w/ a hammer. Now when doing this take all percautions, setting emergency brake, blocking the wheels etc. With that done have someone turn the key as if to start it, holding it on in the starting position while you or someone else under the truck lightly taps the starter w/ a hammer, if it starts the solenoid is bad on the new starter, not uncommon on rebuilt ones. Hope it works for you.

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
82c10
needin' money

i've heard that to eyegore, except he just said get under it hit it with a hammer a couple of times and you go start it yourself,do it until it works, but if you got a helper do it your way
82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
79gmcc15

I cant do a load test on the battery. I dont have the equipment to do so. I am geting sparks at the starter * found that out the dumb hard way* Ive got the starter already up there and I cant see which termal is the "S". I am thinking about hooking up the car battery to find out. it should have enought juice to get it to atleast turn. I did notice that one of the fuseable links wires was bare about an inch. but the connection seems tight. should I tape that up? Ive tryed cranking it over with the wire in on both posts with nothing happening. it is posable that the "new" starter is dead. which would suck lol not a fun thing lol. thanks

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
Old 06-16-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
SSC's76
No No

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79gmcc15
I cant do a load test on the battery. I dont have the equipment to do so. I am geting sparks at the starter * found that out the dumb hard way* Ive got the starter already up there and I cant see which termal is the "S". I am thinking about hooking up the car battery to find out. it should have enought juice to get it to atleast turn. I did notice that one of the fuseable links wires was bare about an inch. but the connection seems tight. should I tape that up? Ive tryed cranking it over with the wire in on both posts with nothing happening. it is posable that the "new" starter is dead. which would suck lol not a fun thing lol. thanks

It's possible the starter isnt any good. You can take the starter back to the parts store and have them test it also can do that with your battery. just make sure if they give you another starter they test it first. It's not uncommon to get parts that dont work out of the box especially if you get the discount parts store brands. Dont use the jumper cable method to test the starter yourself, they can void the warrenty if there is signs of arching on the starter.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
86 GMG

as far as the wires the big wire is self-explainitory the little wire goes on the small terminal closest to the block when installed best wishes
Old 06-17-2005, 12:57 AM   #8
79gmcc15

well i took out the battery to be tested and they said it was low. so they charged it up. took 40 mins, only to find out that it is "bad" because I un-knowingly put too much water and posably runned the battery. ugh. do you think a battery for an 85 old with a 3.0 can get it to turn over just once?