The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2005, 08:42 AM   #1
sargentjones
BOLT SMASHER

gears smashin

So I'm drivin My 73 Chevy at a reasonable speed(120Miles)..no just kiddn, and I decide not to use the clutch. Shabam, she went right into gear, no clutch. I'v done this before in a small car but didn't think to do this in my truck. Is this bad for it. Iwouln't think so because it was a smooth shift.
Any info....

RUST DON'T WAIT FOR NO ONE......
sargentjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #2
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

yes very bad... the only time it will only do little damage (instead of alot) is when the rpms are in close range and it goes as if you had the clutch in... if it make any noise then it is very bad.
For this particular shift if it was smooth then it only did very slight damage.. but do it enough and it will damagethe tranny, flywheel, pressure plate and whatever else it decides to take with it...
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

With some of the really big trucks, its almost easier to shift without the clutch than with, lol

So long as you are just able to slip the shifter in (aka, no forcing it) you arn't likely to hurt that rock crusher tranny too badly I used to do it to my tranny once in a while just for kicks, just put the tranny close to the gear you want, and let it very lightly bounce off the gear you want while changing engine rpms, and suddenly it slips right in like you hit the clutch, quite cool
Old 06-16-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
Scrubby
Check out GMTrucks.org

When I was a kid I drove this 75ish datsun pickup that the throw out was going out on. You had enough clutch disengagement to get it into gear right before you took off at a stop sign. Anyway, you had to shift up and down without a clutch. If you get the rpms matched up and don't force it if it is not ready to go, I don't think you are doing much damage to your tranny. We drove that truck like that for years.

Shifting up without using the clutch is infinitely easier than down shifting...
Scrubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:02 PM   #5
tgh117
Crazy

As long as you aren't grinding any gears, its not doing anything bad to your truck at all. Once I was out on a trip going fourwheeling, and I came to a stop light and pushed in the clutch and wham stuck to the floor. So I shut off the truck and rolled over to the side of the road, only to notice that my clutch linkage had vibrated and fell out. So I called my dad and asked him, and he said just come to a stop light and shut the truck off, then put it in creeper gear and start it up when the light goes green, will be a little jerky but wouldnt hurt anything, then just shift the gears normally using the RPM. I drove the rest of the way (another 40 miles) then back home later in the day, ( 140 miles) and it was easy as pie and didnt hurt anything. Sometimes I shift that way now, just becasue i am too lazy to push in the clutch, works both ways upshifting and downshifting. And yea, my buddy that drives semi truck only uses the clutch to pull out, and never again till he stops. Won't hurt a thing, and if you keep practicing, you will be ready if your clutch linkage falls out.