The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
Low Truck FNG

Anyone installed a FLEX-A-LITE fan?

Hey people,

Have any of you installed a flex-a-lite electric radiator fan? I'm looking at the Part #295 ($370 from Summit) for my 86 C10. Is it worth the change? Did you notice any power difference? Much Grats

'86 C10 Silverado, 350/700
Low Truck FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:05 AM   #2
jman340

Not on my full size GMC, but on a '99 S10 with the 4.3. It made a noticable difference. Gas mileage went up, the engine was much more responsive, no more roar from the clutch fan, and with that mod, and underdrive pulleys I dropped .5 seconds in the quarter mile.
jman340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
87 Shortwide

looks like a nice setup, just make sure that you have all of the rear of the radiator blocked off if that shroud isn't big enough.

You could also go this route, which only ended up costing me about 120 bucks.

Project: 87 GMC shortwide, About to get a little boost

Last edited by 87 Shortwide; 06-23-2005 at 09:14 AM.
87 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Trimman

I put one on mine 3 months ago I got part no. 282 It moves more air than the 295. 15 in. instead of 14in. fans. it covers all but an inch and a half of the bottom of the radiator. also if you go with the 282 make sure your radiator has sides that go strait down. if it doesnt go with the 295.
I also put a powermaster 100 amp alt on to handle it. ( the fans draw up to 28 amps butt they start up at 60 percent so it wont kill the electical system) But I like mine the a/c even blows 2 degrees cooler.
edelbrock performer eps intake
dynomax headers/flowmaster 70's
BTO 700r4 level 3
custom 2 piece driveshaft
12 bolt gov loc w/3.08
Trimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #5
JSEsterly

I have thought about this for my 6.2 diesel.. anyone think it would keep it cool enough?
JSEsterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:41 AM   #6
truckinbean

I had the 295 on my blazer for a while, but I ended up switching it out for a mechanical fan with a thermal fan clutch. I switched it out for a number of reasons. The truck never overheated, but with the electric fan it always ran about 10-15 degrees over whatever temp the thermostat was, even with the high flow Mr. Gasket stat. I also think that the temperature probe for the relay is a weak link in the system. Sometimes it wouldn't kick on when I thought it should, and sometimes it would cycle on and off really fast, like it couldn't make it's mind up. It could probably be remedied with a temp switch located on the intake manifold though. Another thing that bugged me was that when the fans were on at idle, it drew so many amps that the alternator would drag my idle down and make the truck sound crappy. The alternator was the 105 amp GM one that comes with the serpentine belt system. Then, if I had the a/c on the engine would almost stall out. Once again though, I discovered that running the vacuum advance on manifold vac gave me a much better idle quality, but I found that out after taking out the electric fans, so there's no telling if it would've been better or not. Another reason for making the switch was that I did some math and figured out that the openings in the electric fan shroud only allow 80% of the amount of air through than the stock shroud does.

As far as performance goes, the truck definately felt "lighter" with the electric fans. However, I don't go to the tracks, so I'm not so concerned about that extra ooomph. The truck still has plenty of power if I get on it, and I didn't notice any difference in my gas mileage, and I watch that like a hawk. More than anything, I like the peace of mind that I have when I don't have to watch the temp gauge constantly to make sure my fans are working.

I'd say if you're trying to improve your e.t.'s, go for it, but if it's a daily driver stick with a mechanical fan. And if you don't like wiring, this thing is definately not for you, 'cause there's a lot of wires to hook up.

Ben
Performer 1400 carb
Sanderson Headers/Dual 2 1/2" Flowmasters
truckinbean is offline   Reply With Quote