The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
mark460

Value of 1972 Jimmy/Blazer

I'm trying to sell a 72 Jimmy which is in excellant shape, (see attached pic) and I'm trying to determine what the selling price should be. I currently have the price at $7900, which looks like it is too high compared to what other blazer are currently for sale at. I'm wondering how much different in value is the Jimmy verses the Blazer, which is worth more? I personally like the GMC grill better. Am I crazy for asking $7900? If I have to drop the price to $5000 or so, I might as well part it out.

Thanks
Mark
Attached Images

mark460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

Was there any rust fixed? I like it but I prefer chevy grills over the GMC, sorry. Thanks Randy
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
mark460

The tub was replaced with a rust free one along with a new tailgate. There was some rust fixed at the bottom of the fenders and doors. No problem on the grill, it is a perference thing. Some people like blondes, some redheads, etc., but we all look for a nice body

Mark
Old 06-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #4
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

There aren't as many Jimmy's out there, so you would think they would be worth more. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be as desired as a Blazer. Honestly, from the two pictures you posted, your asking price seems right in line. Where are you advertising it for sale? Collectorcartraderonline.com is a good place (online autotrader). Craigslist in our area is a good place, but I'm not sure about the TX cities. Also check out Hemmings, Ebay, Deals-on-Wheels, CK5.com, Pirate4x4.com.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
mark460

I'm currently advertising it in the autotrader. As far as the Jimmy vs Blazer, I don't really see all that much difference than the grill. I always call it a Blazer. Just because it says Jimmy on the title, I need to advertise it as a JImmy.

Mark
Old 06-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #6
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

A lot of people don't even know the Jimmy's exist. I would make sure you put "Blazer" in the listing for the searches.

I just looked at your picture on collectorcartraderonline.com. I think you might need a better picture. The truck looks much nicer in the first shot in this thread.

here's the shot from you online listing...
Old 06-23-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

At least from those couple pics looks like it is in awesome shape and the price doesn't seem out of line BUT - when you get into that price range, it takes the right buyer - not everyone can afford the classics when they are in good shape and have a higher asking price. Give it time and get it listed in more places.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #8
Chevy Muscle
< 69 Blazer

The value thing with the Blazer vs. Jimmy is, as you said, a preference thing.

There were less Jimmys built, which makes them more rare, but they probably didn't build as many because the grill was not as popular as the Chevy and the Chevy just out-sold them (but that's just my guess).

Still today, you will find people that prefer the GMC grill to the Chevy (and the other way around), but if you were to take a large-sample poll, you would probably find that the majority like the chevy grill better..... not sure why though.

You have a really nice Jimmy there. I think if you can wait it out, you'll find the right buyer at your price. ..... at that price range, people who are willing to pay for a nice Jimmy will know the difference between Jimmys and Blazers
Chevy Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
meathead95
computer illiterate

no interior pics?
Old 06-23-2005, 03:42 PM   #10
mark460

I only have a couple on my computer at work. The rest I have at home. If can anyone is interested I can post later or email them.

Thanks
Mark
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2005, 05:06 PM   #11
JMac11

Hmmmmm

Unless I am wrong 7900 would be a steal here in FLorida...... I can see it happening in Tx, hold the line
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:35 PM   #12
crispy
'71 Chevy Blazer

i say ebay. it always seems that they go for more on ebay than they would in other places... by the way, nice Jimmy. i have a Blazer but i much prefer the GMC grill too.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:41 PM   #13
Big Block
Big Block

Jimmy looks good. I know you have had it for sale for a while. The color and fact that it is a 4 spd may be why it hasn't sold. If it was painted (resale) red it would be gone already. I don't think you are out of line in your price. I currently own (2) 72 Blazers. I sold 71 2 wd Jimmy to a friend a couple of years ago. Wish I had it back. It's different and you don't see to many on the road today. If you aren't in a hurry to sell, the right buyer will come along. Good luck! B.B.

Last edited by Big Block; 06-23-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:08 AM   #14
71jimmy

Not many people are familiar with the Jimmy vs Blazer. Everyone calls the Jimmy a Blazer. Make sure in your advertising you say Blazer. Then educate the potential buyers. GMC trucks were never as popular as Chevy trucks. GMC were always sold as a tougher truck than the chevy. (OH crap, now I'll here it from the chevy folks). For instance my Jimmy has the heavy half suspension, brakes etc. It's like the difference bt chevy and say pontiac, pontiac being the performance brand of GM, buick being more upscale etc etc. It's marketing!!!!!!!! You have to sell the fact that it's just different enough to make it more interesting than the blazer, evryone has a blazer but only a few select folks drive a JIMMY (Oh crap, here I go again). IMHO
From your pictures what your asking seems very reasonable. BUT it could be the chevy horn button on the steering wheel that keeps them away.
Can you tell I'm patial?

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:41 AM   #15
vtblazer

I'd agree with everybody above, the price should be fine.
That's a nice Jimmy.

Might be the "toughened up" thing, meaning it's not stock anymore.
You've got 3/4 ton axels and a winch, I like those mods but the average buyer wouldn't understand or appreciate them.

Wanna trade for a 2wd big block truck?
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:01 AM   #16
wingman

That thing is awesome i hope my 72 jimmy can be that nice some day. Did you make that front bumper or get it from someplace. Ive been looking forever for a nice winch bumper like that. Yeah Id say that is definatly worth the price.
wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:22 AM   #17
JMac11

Kurt.... I was trying to figure out how I could beg borrow or trade for it..... I would have bought that one before I got mine, unless I am missing the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer
I'd agree with everybody above, the price should be fine.
That's a nice Jimmy.

Might be the "toughened up" thing, meaning it's not stock anymore.
You've got 3/4 ton axels and a winch, I like those mods but the average buyer wouldn't understand or appreciate them.

Wanna trade for a 2wd big block truck?
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:42 PM   #18
mark460

I made the bumper myself a few years when I was off of work for a few weeks. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, CAD operator, part welder, part machinist, so building this bumper wasn't a big deal. I had tried to sell the bumper at one time, but couldn't find a buyer. For the right price, I would sell the bumper and winch and put a chrome bumper for selling the truck. I don't think the bumper and winch really add that much to the value of the whole truck, because like someone said it takes someone to appreciate the mods done to the truck.

Mark
Old 06-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #19
wingman

Yeah I am in school right now for mechanical engineering (Kettering formerly GMI) and spend a lot of time doing cad work at my co-op employer (wildfire 2.0 is my latest poison). It looks like something I could do if I had the time and tools but between school and work, I barely have time to change the oil. I could possible be interested if you are ever selling in the future. That thing would like great on my jimmy, since it sees more time on the trails then at the shows.
wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:13 PM   #20
shelby987

Personally I like the look of the GMC and the blazer, would be happy to drive either one...and the winch and the heavy-duty axles are exactly what I am looking for.....but my price range is about the price you quoted that you would part the truck at....on top of that I would have to ship it to michigan.....black/stick/winch/axles (wiping drool from face)....if you drop it to 5k and want to drive it up to michigan.....let me know, you would have a buyer!
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:32 PM   #21
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

My $.02 for whatever it is worth to ya,

At $5K it's a steal and will not last long in any state, much less TX.

At a hair under $8K it will need the "right" type of buyer, like VT said,
it has 3/4 ton axles and the "mean" look, some will prefer stock.

I'd LUV to have a jimmy to go w/ my blazer, but the timing sucks
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:13 AM   #22
shelby987

not sure of the price difference between tx and wa, but ebay has a truck that looks to be in slightly better shape than yours with the same running gear, but running a 383 instead, and he hasn't had a single person bid at $8,000. The market for these just doesn't seem to be what it once was.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:41 AM   #23
mark460

That is a nice truck. From the pictures, it looks nicer than mine. Better engine too. Who knows what his reserve is, though. I'll be watching this one. Yes, it does seem like the market is not giving as much as it was a few years ago. I don't know why. Employment is down and I think people are making money, maybe there is too many on the market right now.

Thanks
Mark
Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 AM   #24
mastercraftkpk

Where are you in Houston?

I want to look at your truck.

They are not "insurgents"...they're vermin, cowards, and terrorists.

Egon..." I think that they are more interested in my epipedimus."
mastercraftkpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #25
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Anything over $5,000 can take a while to sell. It took me a while to convince the wife I "needed" my '72, a little longer to figure out where the $ were coming from, and then I had make arrangements.

If you ask me, these trucks are going for more and more every day. With each Blazer or Jimmy you see being parted, the value of the remaining trucks goes up. Sure, there are a lot of people who would prefer stock, but it is usually cheaper to buy someone elses project than build your own. You've got a nice truck, just hang in there. List it in as many places as you can think of and don't rule out places like the grocery store posting boards and the local car shows (even if it is just in the parking lot of the show).