The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
nucklhead13

Exclamation Increased fuel milage

I guess I should have you a lot of you know this as soon as I figured it out: I got a 78 1/2 ton full time four wheel drive with a 350 engine. When I first got it the milage in town was a lot better than my older 72 3/4 ton could make. It's just that wnen I drove faster than 35 mph it sucked down gas faster.
Folk had told me that that was because of the full time four wheel drive. I had figured that by 78 the gas milage was legally supposed to be better than the older pickups.
Good thing I have hauled fuel for five years, and have been to several refineries. That, and the fact that my old Sportster had got real good gas milage before too, had me figure out that some gas is just too cheaply made. I started using Conoco gas and now my old pickup can run at 70 mph without burning as much of it. It even runs in town like one of these new pickups. I'm never going to try burning any of the cheaper kinds like Diamond Shamrock or Sinclare again. The only other I'll run is Phillips 66.
At least the folk working at the Phillips 66 refinery above Amarillo have made fun of the Diamond Shamrock one just a hair further north in Dumas Texas.
Good luck in finding the kind of gas that lets you run your old pickups longer and further.
nucklhead13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
SSC's76
No No

Glad someone found somthing to help out. Doesent matter what I do, where I get gas 8 MPG city solid.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote