The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
matthufham

cutting coils

can you cut rear coils? 2nd question, how? i'm looking for a 5 inch drop in the rear, and i wont get that with 5 inch drop coils because mine are probably 1-2 inches lower due to sagging.

cutting the fronts:
i might cut them, but somewhere i heard somewhere about cutting only one side. was it cut the top 1 coil, or flip it over and cut the bottom 1 coil?
-thanks
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

No, you can not cut rear coils. They coil up tighter on the ends...pig tails if you will.

Cutting fronts... I never heard only cut one end, I've always cut a coil from the top, and that normally dropped 2 inches or so.

what do you plan on cutting them with?
Is this a testing phase..as in, do you plan on keeping when you end up with here
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:29 PM   #3
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

The front coils can be cut at the bottom, the tops are pig-tailed. You get about 1 inch of drop for every 1/3 of a turn on the coil. Do not cut more than I full coil! The back will have to be dropped using a combination of dropped coils and lowering blocks.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
matthufham

well longhorn, i figured a sawzaw would be quickest and coolest. and i guess i'll make a call to early classic for the rear coils. i do plan to keep the fronts and use them, trying to save money.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:04 PM   #5
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

A sawzall will work, and a cutting wheel on a die grinder is even faster.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:18 PM   #6
Longhorn Man

hmmmm, maybe it was the bottom i was cutting.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Yep. The top has that thingy that the pigtail has to slide around and the bottom fits into a groove in the lower A-arm.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:26 PM   #8
matthufham

thanks for the help guys
Old 07-14-2005, 09:10 PM   #9
jon6foot4

Awesome - it took me like an hour to find this but it answered my questions too
jon6foot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
modifiedGMC

I cut 1 1/4 coils from my front and that's about all you could cut without the springs falling out when you jack it up. Make sure you get the end of the coil setting back in the dip where it sits originally. A little advanced warning, when you shorten your front coils that much, it will cause your caster/camber to be off, and if you don't have the front end re-aligned it will wear the inside of your tires out QUICKLY! Ask me how I know. here is a pic of mine with 1 1/4 coils cut from the front. I also trimmed about 3/4" off my rubber stops on the lower a-frame to give it a little more clearance. Total cost of lowering job: $0.00 (just a little labor)
Old 07-15-2005, 11:00 PM   #11
kaycee

Hey modified GMC what did you do to the back to make it level ?new spring's or blocks???
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:57 AM   #12
modifiedGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycee
Hey modified GMC what did you do to the back to make it level ?new spring's or blocks???
well..... neither.... I...uh.... sorta....uh....heated the coils. I heated the first big coil on the bottom till it dropped and touched the trailing arm then heated the first coil on top until it dropped and touched. You have to stop heating BEFORE it gets to where you want it because it will continue dropping when heat is removed. I actually got the first side done where I wanted then dropped the other side but went 1/4" more than I wanted so I had to go back and drop the otherside another 1/4". I know this isn't the best way to do it but..... Here is before and after pics.
BEFORE

AFTER
Old 07-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by modifiedGMC
well..... neither.... I...uh.... sorta....uh....heated the coils...... I know this isn't the best way to do it but.....
Just so anyone that doesn't know reads this, DO NOT try this method unless you understand that eventually the springs will have to be replaced. It's only a matter of time before heated springs sag beyond the point of usefullness....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:38 PM   #14
Longhorn Man

While that is good advice, it isn't 100% acurate. I've seen/helped with many MANY spring torchings, and never had any of them had any ill effects other than a crappy ride. Quite a few of the guys that were pimpin mega dollar rides at the good guys this year were admiting to heating up there coils.
it is by far, not the best route to go, you CAN totally kerfagle the springs...however, you CAN do it and get 100,000 trouble free miles out of them....with a crappy ride.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #15
matthufham

i definately wouldn't call heating a coil ideal, but free bad ride vs expensive quality ride is still a tough decision. compare pinto to mustang, i'd go with mustang (quality, expensive...)

by the way modifiedgmc, i love your stance. perfect amount of distance between top of tire and wheelwell both front and rear. are you running the same dimension tires front and rear?

Last edited by matthufham; 07-16-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:07 PM   #16
modifiedGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Just so anyone that doesn't know reads this, DO NOT try this method unless you understand that eventually the springs will have to be replaced. It's only a matter of time before heated springs sag beyond the point of usefullness....
Every body has their opinion but you didn't include the rest of what I said about how I done the rear....
I heated the first big coil on the bottom till it dropped and touched the trailing arm then heated the first coil on top until it dropped and touched.
If the solid part of the spring is touching the arms then it WON"T sag any farther as you stated, that is why I done it that way. If I had a pic I would post it to show you what I'm talking about. I seen alot of people heat their springs to save money. Believe me if I had the money, I would have just went ahead and bagged it and been done with it.

Yes the tire size on all four is 235/75/15 8" rear wheels 7.5" fronts but I'm thinking of going to 235/60 to bring the tires out just a little more.

Last edited by modifiedGMC; 07-16-2005 at 11:10 PM.
modifiedGMC is offline   Reply With Quote