The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2005, 02:19 AM   #1
BowTieMan

Got a few questions about my guages

How do I remove the guage cluster from the dash? And right now it is black but the paint is chiping so I want to remove the black and either leave it that silver or repaint it black. So what can I use to remove the black paint and not mess up the bottom coating?
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
byrd
Union Electrician

First off remove the cover under the steering column, two phillips head screws. Then there is a 9/16" bolt that holds the column up by a strap,(it is inbetween the four bolts that hold the brake and clutch pedals to the cab, look for the whole in this bracket for the bolt) loosen that bolt most of the way and it will let the column down about 1" to help in removing the cluster.next is removing the headlight switch rod and knob, pull the rod and knob all the way out and then reach up behind the dash and there is a button on the top of the headlight switch , push it down and remove the knob and rod. then unhook speedo cable, oil pressure line and unplug cluster from the wiring harness. then remove the six screws that hold it to the dash. and then pull it out. To put back in follow same directions only backwards. As for the black paint, do you mean on the outside(plastic bezel) or the gauge faces themselves? The bezels are cheap and worth the $30 or so to replace and it is well worth in my .02. hope this helps, Randy
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors

Last edited by byrd; 06-29-2005 at 07:22 AM.
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
BowTieMan

Thanks. Ya I ment the bezel it self. I will redo it the right way later but have more important things to spend my money on right now so that is on hold.
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
Old 07-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
BowTieMan

What is that shinny silver coating under the black paint on the bezel? Is it like a crome spray paint or something?
Old 07-03-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
byrd
Union Electrician

I'm not sure but it is probably a chromed finish or paint. I've seen both, but for the most part of the ones I have seen it is chromed. Randy
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
Old 07-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #6
BowTieMan

Well should I try some crome spray paint or is that a dumb idea?
Old 07-04-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
byrd
Union Electrician

I wouldn't know any other way to do it. Just make sure that the surface is very clean and have already been scuffed up with some sand paper to give the paint something to stick to. Randy
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: