The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
72 Cheyenne K20

Engine Harness ?'s

I got an engine harness I'm trying to put in my 72' automatic w/350 motor. I can't remember if the harness came out of a stick or auto.

1. There is a black wire (12 gauge) that comes out where the alt wires are. I got the rest of the alt wires hooked up but can't find where the black connects. The other end hooks at the rad support.

2. I've got an 18 light green wire and an 18 dark green wire that the wiring diagram says go to the back up light switch 4 spd. Since mine is an automatic, I don't need these right?

3. Dark blue 18 gauge that goes to the sw asm oil press. I have guages in the truck and I'm assuming this wire is for idiot lights? So I don't need it either?

Any help would be great.

Thanks, Scott
72 Cheyenne K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Putter
More Cowbell....

For the two green wires (light & dark)....if those are under the hood, I am pretty sure you can route those into the cab and connect them to your reverse (neutral safety) switch. One of the two comes from the fuse box & will have 12 volts when the key is on. The other heads out towards the rearend for the reverse lights.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
72 Cheyenne K20

Thanks for the reply putter. I found my old harness and got ?'s figured out. But now I have 2 more ?'s.

1. What side of the starter soleniod does the purple wire connect to. The terminal closest to the engine or farthest from the engine.

2. I know I've seen this on here before but can't search for it. I'm switching from points to HEI. The only wire I have left is the pink wire that splits into 2 yellow wires. Can anyone explain what to do with this wire?

Thanks, Scott

Last edited by 72 Cheyenne K20; 06-29-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

The purple wire connects to the solenoid on the inside terminal, (closest to the engine).

You won't need the pink/yellow wires if you are going to hei. I strip the harness out, toss the whole pink/yellow wire setup and replace it with a #10 red wire for the hei.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
72 Cheyenne K20

Thanks Jim, that was an easy fix, I used the battery feed wire that runs along the top of the rad support from another harness.
One more ?. There is a small 18 gauge wire thats brown w/white stripe that has a female connector comming out of the engime harness that I can't figure out what it's for or where it goes.

Thanks, Scott
Old 06-30-2005, 03:44 AM   #6
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Scott,

If the brown wire has the plastic female connector on it, then it is part of the
wiring for the TSC system that was installed onto the C-10's. It is not needed for your truck.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote