The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
primer_forever

short bed s-10 frame?

I have a shortbed s-10 that I got for free and I want to use it under my 54. Can I just cut the frame and add a section about 10 inches long under the cab area to make it work? Also, I have a 87 trans-am GTA with a tuned port 350/700R4 and a disc brake rearend....anybody else running that in a 47-54?
Later
primer_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Thay engine tranny combo will be great in there
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
primer_forever

anybody?

Can someone tell me if that will work? I haven't pulled the s-10 home yet so I haven't had a chance to look at the frame much.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:01 PM   #4
TooMany2count
Who's in CHARGE??????????

Google Results 1 - 10 of about 31,000 for s10 frame swap..
Donate Blood,Plasma,Platelets & sign your DONORS CARD & SAVE a LIFE
TooMany2count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
primer_forever

google didn't help

I read through alot of those sites listed on google but nothing was really mentioned about using a short bed frame....except one post that said if you did you would have to shorten your bed in front of the wheels to make it work, which I think is stupid. So....can anybody tell me if adding a section to the s10 frame under the cab area will work? I think it would only need to be like 10 inches and I assume the s10 frame is straight under the cab.
I'm just wanting to know before I drag the thing to my shop....if it won't work I'm not going to bother with hauling it.
Thanks
Old 07-13-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
TooMany2count
Who's in CHARGE??????????

i added 37inches to my S10 long bed frame to put it under my 1ton burb. ORRRR why not find an frame closer to what u need ~~>s10 frame lengths are 108, 118, or 122.9 inches...joe
Donate Blood,Plasma,Platelets & sign your DONORS CARD & SAVE a LIFE
TooMany2count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:35 PM   #7
twinturbo51

Hey primer I know that it will work cause I asw a webpage where they did that to one.It was done under the cab area if memory serves me right.I will try and dig it upYou might try and click on some of the other posts on this subject and see where those links goto.I think the guy meant if you used a shortbed frame and didnt stretch it then thats why he cut the bed.Sounds a bit stupid to me.Best thing is get a messuring tape and do some cab mesurments on bushing locations and maybe how far from the rear the (lets say 51) bed would sit at.You might be able to get the length from back in that area.Good luck sounds like you will have a nice powerplant for it also.Dig your screenname, even tho mine wont ever see primer staying old and rugged here.
twinturbo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
primer_forever

Cool, somebody knows what I'm saying! lol I figured it would work, but even if it didn't I only paid $50 for the s-10 so I wouldn't be out much. Then again, my friend needs a bed for his s10 project and I am sure he would pay $50 for the one I have.
Anyway, thanks for the props on my motor/trans/rear setup... I really like the looks of the tuned port engines, and the overdrive trans and disc brake rear should make it a pretty good driver.
Oh and it's kinda sad about my screenname since I own a custom body&paint shop
You know what they say...."A painter never has paint on his own vehicle"
I'll get some pics up whenever I get something going on my 54.....I've got too many damn projects lol
Later
Old 07-21-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
Phat

I know this will go over like a f#rt in church as others have done it but i dont think i would put a section in the frame unless i used another s-10 of the same material. Why not cut the s-10 clip off and weld it to your stock frame....i dont like the idea as i have stated before because they are too narrow but if your heart is set on and s-10. I have also seen guys back half the s-10 clip with 2x2 sqaure tube. It looked pretty good other than the front width.
I still would vote to keep your stock frame and put an crossmember under it.
If your like me with your shop(busy as all heck) you probaly would rather pay a little more and get it done in a day than have it laying around the shop losing customer work.
Man that truck is gonna fly with that GTA motor LOL your gonna have fun with that one
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:29 PM   #10
primer_forever

thanks for the info

I might change my mind on the frame swap after all... lol If I do a crossmember in my original frame can I use the front suspension off the GTA with it? All I have seen is a mustang II crossmember and I really don't want that. I'm trying to use everything possible from the GTA to save myself some cash so it would be nice to use the front suspension and brakes.
Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 12:21 PM   #11
Phat

Not really the GTA is a strut suspension.I thought of changing the spindles and making upper a-frame mounts but it would be no savings. I looked at one for a few hours trying to figure out how to use the front as they handle like a bear. like you i had one with the roof bashed in. I used the motor and rear. Sell a few parts off the thing and buy the Stang II Like was said before there really is no stang II parts.Tube a-frames and a good solid crossmember. TCI has one that does not even look like stang II and is not anything to do with ford design .If your pretty good with a welder its a 1 day job and no screwing with bumpers or radiator mounts
This is a car i just did but it took 7 hours to strip a museum car of its stock drive train.Another 4 hours and the front suspension was all tacked in place.another 3 hours and it had a rear.2 hours later all the sheetmetal was on it and all mocked up to check ride heights. So in 2 days 1 guy had a roller.about 2 grand in parts and two 8 hour days. Now you can go back to makin money.

I will look and see if i have the TCI one i did on my camera.
Attached Images

Phat is offline   Reply With Quote