The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
jermasaurus

Center console w/subwoofers?

Does anyone have pictures or plans for full legnth center console with two subwoofers?
I am thinking i want to build one with the subwoofers mounted facing the bottom, and ports on the sides. I don't really want them facing up, and don't want the box tall enough to mount them sideways. I want to have an armrest, and two cupholders on the top, that is my main reason for not wanting them facing up (and of course to prevent damage).

Anyone know if that would sound right with them facing the bottom? I figure that the ports facing out is all that matters, but I m not all that familar with that kind of stuff.

So does anyone have any pictures or advice about my mounting idea? I just want some ideas, it doesn't have to look like what i described. I am pretty confident that I could build a box/console if I decide to. Thanks.
-Jeremy
jermasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:58 AM   #2
bodydropped

what size u goin to run and what type because u need to make sure u have enought air space for them i know were a box is that had 8 in them i think if i can score it it hit hard but u could take it and use it as a refrence
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
jermasaurus

I am using two Pioneer 12" TS-W30M's with the IMPP cone. They respond to 20hz lowest. They require 1.5cf for sealed, 1.65cf ported, or .9cf per chamber with a bandpass.

I have them each in small sealed truck boxes, and they sound like crap. I have had them in a larger sealed box, and they sounded great. So I am thinking that the cubic feet is my problem here. Any ideas? Do you know what kind of box would be best for a truck (sealed, ported, or bandpass)?
-Jeremy
Old 07-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
bodydropped

i run a sealed box u might have a box thats to small for them i had one like that and certain bass notes they would bottom out so u might be able to build a bigger box
Old 07-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
jermasaurus

The console is under cunstruction right now
I want to take some pictures, but i personally don't own a digital camera, so maybe after it is done i'll take some. I'm about to calculate my cubic feet now so I can determine what type of boxes to make them.
Would having one sealed and one ported be a good idea? Like best of both worlds pehaps?
-Jeremy
Old 07-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
bodydropped

sealed is good for a deep bass a port is good for like sound pressure lever (spl) contest right know im runnin a sealed and thats what i like because it hits alot harder and when u do a port it has to be to specs and its alot harder to do
Old 07-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
squint

Enclosed boxes produce much better base reflex and sound a lot better.. It just takes more power to get them as loud ( spl ) as ported boxes, they dont push as much air.. When building a sub box you should always, ALWAYS, make sure that you have at least the amount of space as defined in the operators manual. If you dont you could actually cause damage to the speakers..

Looking forward to seeing some pics of what you create.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote