The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
MM in NM

Tommorow it's door hinge rebuild day.

I've been plugging along and doing something on this truck every day. I received my door hinge rebuilding kits (and catalog) from Chevy Duty on Friday. I really like them as they seem much better than the original with the bronze bushings. The hinge rebuild looks pretty straight forward and I don't plan to take the forward half of the hinge off the cab. It looks like I'll take a cut off wheel and cut off the bottom of the existing pins then drive them up and out. The new bushings get installed and pins get driven back in.

I'm sure some of you guys have done this before so wonder if there are any pitfalls or tricks for this job?
Attached Images

MM in NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
BALDMIKE
Enormous Member

Ya I am ready to do the same and would like to hear the short cutz....

Check my Blog @ www.BaldMikesWorld.blogspot.com
BALDMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:07 PM   #3
78chevstepside

If a round bushing is place in a out of round hole it too will become out of round. Drill proper size hole through bushing to correct problem.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:14 AM   #4
squint

I plan on doing my doors soon too.. they are getting pretty bad.. I have to lift the door in order to turn the key..
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:16 AM   #5
82c10
needin' money

me and my friend put the new ones on the truck a couple weeks ago, but i didn't have a drill so we need to take the door back off, and put the other bushing in it
Old 07-18-2005, 12:31 AM   #6
squint

make sure to take some pics.. and postem up
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
MM in NM

I have several parts trucks around so have plenty of hinge "cores". I took a set of hinges off the 77 cab I have and found the upper was broken and thought the lower was actually in good shape as the nylon bushings were intact. Dissassembled it by slightly grinding off the piened enlarged portion on the bottom of the pin with a Dremil then driving it out. Found the pin was bent.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
MM in NM

Removed the door from the 79 truck the rebuilt hinges will have to go on. This lower hinge has a broken strap while the upper has worn out bushings, a worn out tension wheel and missing tension spring.

I guess I'm going to remove some hinges from some of my parts trucks and pick the best parts to rebuild with the new bushings and pins. Meanwhile I'm cussing at those damn GM designers as these hinges sure could have been better engineered in the first place.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #9
MM in NM

Drivers side lower hinge rebuilt. I did have to slightly ream the cab side of the hinge to accept the new bronze bushings but everything else was straight forward. The bushings go in with the collars to the outside. With the smallest dab of lithium grease it works as smooth as glass now.
Attached Images