The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
red86chevy

Master cylinder replacement

Sorry but i'v never done this before so please bear with me.

I need to replace the master cylinder on my '86 and not sure exactly how to do it. I think I unscrew the two brake lines and then the two nuts holding it to the booster. then when i put the new one up can i just fill it up with fluid until it drips out of the holes where the lines go so i know theres no air in it, then bolt it back up and bleed the brakes? Please tell me if I'm on the right track or if there is something special I need to do.

Thank you,
Jeremy
86 c-10 383 w/ sportsman II heads comp 286h cam Edlbrock RPM Performer intake Holley 750 th350 w/2400 stall 3.73 gears with powertrax No-Slip posi unit. Just broken in good. Will get a 1/4 time this week.
red86chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
Earl Filter

You have to bleed the master cylinder before mounting it, or at least before hooking up the lines. Read this:

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/chas...sion/bleed.htm
1989 Jaguar XJ6 in the middle of an LT1/4L60E swap
Earl Filter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:06 PM   #3
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

heres what I did. you are right on how to take it off. but when you get your new one get a blead kit and put fluid in about half way full. then what i did was take a philips screwdriver that was as big as the indent in the back of the cylender *the part you bolt up* and sat on the back of my truck and put the front of the cylender agains the side of my bed. and kept it upright and pressed in with the screwdriver about a half inch. enough to make bubbles come out of both holes in the resavor *sp?*. make sure you dont go in too far cause it can put you in the same spot you are in now. blown seals. then when all the air is out*no more bubbles* I then mounted it up. and had my dad press on the break pedle and hold and I would open one line enough to let it come out. then befor he let up close it. did that about 4-5 times each line. I havent had any problems with it sence then. Very easy to do. when you bench bleed the new unit if you have a bench vice then that would be best. but I dident. good luck.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote