The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2005, 03:37 AM   #1
ante_up13

Angry Getting to the turn signal canceling cam

The Problem: My turn signal lever fell off and I figured out the nut is gone in the turn signal cam. I need to get another nut in their but it looks like you have to get the whole cam out. I have an aftermarket steering wheel that I can manage to get off along with the billet adapter thingy. But after that there is a big nut on the shaft. How do you get the damn thing off? Do I need a puller? And if I do get it off, how do I get it back on? Please help...I have had the steering wheel off four times and I don't want to do it again unless I know what I'm doing. Thanks

1969 C-10 LWB 307

Last edited by ante_up13; 07-20-2005 at 03:38 AM. Reason: put model and year
ante_up13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
pjmoreland

Do you have a tilt column?
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
ante_up13

No...its just a fixed column.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
byrd
Union Electrician

I don't get what you mean, the turn signal handle is held on by screws not a nut. and it should be accessible with the wheel removed, maybe you could post a pic of what it is you are trying to do to help better see what you need or want to do. Randy
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:12 AM   #5
pjmoreland

The only big nut I'm aware of holds the steering wheel to the column. If you have a Grant steering wheel then the nut would be holding an aluminum hub onto the column. You should be able to remove the nut with a large socket before you remove the steering wheel. That way you can hold on to the steering wheel to keep the column from spinning while you are turning the nut. Once the nut is removed, you'll have to use a puller to get the aluminum steering wheel hub off of the steering column. Once the hub is removed, the turn signal mechanism will be exposed.

You're right, there is a nut buried inside the turn signal mechanism that the turn signal lever screws into. It is no ordinary nut though, so if it is missing, you are going to have a hard time finding a replacement. You may be able to buy a replacement turn signal mechanism in the Help! section of an auto parts store. You can also use the turn signal mechanism out of a '70s van if there is a wrecking yard close by.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
ante_up13

I bought a new canceling cam from ECE because I thought the screw just threaded into the cam. But when I got it, there is a slot in the back for a nut. So I went to Home Depot and found a nut and bolt that fit the cam. Now my problem is just getting the nut in the back of the cam. I do have the grant steering wheel and I can get to the aluminum hub that you were talking about. I have a puller... I guess my question is how do I get the hub back on after I pull it off? Its my daily driver and I just don't want to get stuck.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:53 PM   #7
pjmoreland

You will only have to pull the hub about 1/8" before it will pop free. It will slide back on most of the way by hand, and will seat down all the way when you reinstall and retighten that big nut.

If I remember correctly, the stock nut is way longer than an ordinary nut, so it adds a lot to the rigidity of the assembly.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
travisfraughton

Re: Getting to the turn signal canceling cam

I've got this same problem, well almost. I've still got the nut behind the cam, but I think it's stripped. What's the easiest way to replace this nut? it seems to be loose where it sits... but not loose enough that I feel comfortable just yanking it out. This is really annoying as I have tried to use tape or lock tite a couple times to get a screw to stay in that stripped nut - it will hold for a while but eventually gets loose and the screw grounds out the horn. Nothing better than your horn going off every time you make a turn and everyone thinking you're an A$$h0le...
any ideas on replacing this nut?
thanks!
travisfraughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
travisfraughton

Re: Getting to the turn signal canceling cam

As far as I could tell once you removed the cam and got to the nut, it was essentially just part of the turn signal switch. I did not want to spend $40-$50 for a new switch for the tiny little nut. Not to mention wasting time installing a new switch just for that 1 little nut. I put JB weld epoxy in the stripped nut, on the screw, and between the turn signal lever and the cam. So far it is nice and tight and functions just as good as ever.
travisfraughton is offline   Reply With Quote