The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
squint

Starter Questions

I am installing a new starter tomorrow..

1. When I took my old starter out there was no piece from the starter to the block... should there be a bracket in there to steady the starter?..

2. I installed a new Starter Flexplate also.. Whats the normal Shimmy setting for our trucks.. where's a good place to start?

Thanks..
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
Prerunner1982

ive never had a bracket to the block...
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

I just replaced the starter on my truck. It made a whirl of difference. (No pun intended.)

I was able to loosen and disconnect the wires while the starter was still attached to the block. I then loosened and removed the two bolts holding the starter to the block. I had no other brackets or supports. I cleaned the two long bolts and the wire connectors. Then install the new starter in the reverse order.

GM recommends a clearance between 0.020" to 0.060" They recommend a 0.020" wire guage to set the clearance. You could also use a paper clip which is around 0.030".
Good luck.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
82c10
needin' money

don't forget to undo the battery
Old 07-23-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
squint

hmm.. ok odd.. I have a friend who is a mechanic and he said there was supposed to be a metal strap like thing that bolds the back of the starter to the block so that it doesn't move.. I duno.. I guess i wont worry about it.

Whats the best way to shimmy it up?

thanks..
Old 07-23-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
MM in NM

You should have the front bracket though a lot of people (probably most people) toss them,,, it ain't right. More than likely someone previously decided that it wasn't necessary because they were so damn lazy they didn't want to dick with it so threw the original away. That's exactly what the longer stud on the front of the starter plus the cast in threaded hole in the block right above it is for. I've made brackets from a small piece of maybe 1/2" or 5/8" strap.
Going again from memory, first find a short bolt with washer and lock washer to fit into the block (it may be in there still). The bolt only has to be about 3/8" - 1/2" long. Make sure it doesn't bottom out before tightening up on the new strap or you'll either strip the hole in the block or have a loose bracket. Take the piece of strap (maybe 3" long) and drill a hole near the end so your block bolt will fit through. Crank it into your vise maybe 3/4" below what will be your top hole and twist the strap 90 degrees. Just snug it up so it's held forward and mount your starter whith the rear bolts. Put a dab of grease or paint or something on the starter stud and swing the new bracket down to make a mark. Remove the new bracket and drill the new lower hole that attaches to the starter stud slightly oversize because it'll have to swing over the stud. Use some common sense because it's not rocket surgery but it'll probably take a little bending to make the home made bracket fit. Use washers and lock washers and your starter will thank you for the support..

Last edited by MM in NM; 07-23-2005 at 11:58 PM.
MM in NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:48 AM   #7
jimfulco

My '69 Nova came from the factory without one, but that doesn't make it right.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:56 AM   #8
squint

thats what i figured.. I went to the auto parts store and they never had one.. so i guess i will make my own..

Also.. I am having a heck of a time with the starter..I dont understand it..

I have it all hooked up and everything but I cant for the life of me get the damn thing shimmed properly.. I dont know whats going on.. I have like 10 shimms in there now and its still hanging up on the flywheel......

???????????????????????????????????
Old 07-25-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

NO front bracket------Bolt the starter with the two bolts in the rear and use a feeler wire to check the clearance of the starter gear to the flexplate, that's all. Drive in piece. On ALL of the Chevy engines I have never had a front bracket on the starter, must be the Chevy assembly line was to lazy to put it in at the factory.

Last edited by piecesparts; 07-25-2005 at 01:35 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote