The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2002, 05:52 PM   #1
Pumkin Truck
Thats just prime!

Gliche in the system? er what?

K, first off my truck was running when i parked it. Now she won't start. The radio works/horn so i know its not the battery, i had recently put in a new cap,plug wires, condensor, rotor, distributor,points, coil, and correctly gapped spark plugs. So she refuses to start now, why? The starter will crank but then nothing. I have came to a conclusion that the problem lies with my ignition system wires, maybe the regulator (little black box behind my radiator on the drivers side) if that is what its called. I believe that it is the origional, where do i start? All this is not good for my barely broken in carb holding gas. THanks for the help all.
pumpkin truck

*99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28
1 Bad 5.7ltr LS1
Pumkin Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 06:09 PM   #2
colohusker

Are you getting spark at the plugs?

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 06:11 PM   #3
bigvinnie

I assume you've already checked to make sure the carb is squirting gas, so you know you're getting fuel....???

first pull a spark plug and see if you're getting a spark.... will take 2 people unless you have a remote starter switch....lay the plug against the head or other ground source and check for a spark across the electrode while someone cranks the motor... if no spark then start back tracking to the cap, coil wire, rotor, points, etc.... simple process of elimination.

Also make sure the ditributor hold down bolt is not loose.... if it is then you'll need to re-set the timing with a timing light.

72 Stepside Project

Last edited by bigvinnie; 06-24-2002 at 06:15 PM.
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 06:15 PM   #4
Pumkin Truck
Thats just prime!

hmm...

so you guys dont believe that it is my ignition wires, i will check for the spark tonite. if i dont get no spark, then expect this ttt. thanks.

1 Bad 5.7ltr LS1
Old 06-24-2002, 09:46 PM   #5
Pumkin Truck
Thats just prime!

My carb is squirting gas, i do have a spark, and all of my wires are in good shape cause i ran a multimeter over them. THis leaves me to the wires inside my cab which i have not tested but i am pretty sure that it is the ignition switch itself. The motor sounds like it is locked or frozen when i turn the key. oh well theres always tommarrow.

1 Bad 5.7ltr LS1
Old 06-25-2002, 12:31 AM   #6
bigvinnie

well, if ya got gas and spark, then (assuming you still have compression) the spark must not be getting there at the right time... hook up a timing light and check to make sure that #1 is firing when it should..... let us know what you find...

does the motor even try to cough when you crank it?

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 01:49 AM   #7
EJ

Quote:
The starter will crank but then nothing
Quote:
The motor sounds like it is locked or frozen when i turn the key
Does the motor turn over or not? Im cunfused
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 01:57 AM   #8
colohusker

Does it start to turn then stop? If it doesn't crank freely, might check the ground strap to the engine, along with the cable going to the starter, along with the wire going to the selenoid. Maybe hook up a set of jumper cables direct to the starter and try it. Clamp the negative to the trans case, and the positive to the cable coming from the battery.

hmmm.... might also try backing off your timing a little, I know my 440 used to act like that if I had it too far advanced.

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
Old 06-25-2002, 02:05 AM   #9
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

does the engine try to crank, but seem to fight the starter, or just turn over a little, and then not at all, even after letting it sit a couple seconds.....if it's cranking slow and fighting the starter, sounds like it's too far advanced.

If it cranked once, then won't crank at all, but the starter is trying to turn it, my guess would be a dropped valve.....but i'm a pesimist(sp?)

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 04:41 AM   #10
OhioDan

From what you've described, it sounds like you might have a bad starter solenoid? Just my $.02

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 11:56 AM   #11
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

neutral saftey switch?
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 12:50 PM   #12
Blue68

You said you just changed the cap and other goodies. I have to ask, did you get the wires to the correct plugs? If not, your starter could be fighting an engine that wants to turn backwards.

If in doubt, remove the coil wire so that there will be NO spark to any plug and turn the starter, does it spin? Double check your plug routing. And don't be embarassed, well not too much anyway, if you did mix them up. It happens.

An easy way to check for a spark at a plug is the hook up your timing light to each wire and see if they are getting a charge. Tells you as much as pulling the plug with less work and less chance of damaging a boot.

And like stated by a couple of others, check your timing. Too much and you're going to try to spin the engine backwards while the starter goes the other way.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 04:35 PM   #13
CE20934

Location: Help! I'm in an office park with its own network of freeways!
One problem with using the timing light to verify you have spark. I found this out with my buddy's 97 S10. I used the timing light to verify he had spark at #1 & at the coil. Flashed just fine. Well, his engine still refused to start. Turned out his spark plug wires were shot. An inductive timing light will trigger the strobe whenever electricity travels down the wire past the inductive clamp--but it won't give any indication of how strong the spark is.
CE20934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 05:03 PM   #14
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Lets start at the very basics...
Your horn works...that is about 2 amps...maybe 5. Turn on your headlights, and try to start it. If they go out, or almost out as your key is turned, give it a jump start.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 06:29 PM   #15
Pumkin Truck
Thats just prime!

THanks for the help guys, k lets see, i read so much i forgot what i had to answer. When i turn the key, the starter goes "click click dead" I then tried it with the lights on and mother says they dimmed when i turned the key. All my plug wires go to the correct place. I double checked that. My timing is a bit high at 8 degrees. All my cables and wires under the hood are intact. I thought that you had to have the engine running inorder to use the timing light?

1 Bad 5.7ltr LS1
Old 06-25-2002, 06:51 PM   #16
colohusker

Sounds like your selenoid, or a loose cable going to the starter from the battery. Did you disconnect any battery cables during the maintenance? Might check to make sure those are tight on the battery.

Do you have a spare battery, or can pull one from another vehicle and try that one instead? Don't think it's that, but something to think about doing.

8 degrees isn't that far advanced, so don't think it's that. You can use a timing light, if the engine would turn over, but as it's been mentioned, it will just show that some electricity went past it, not how much, whereas pulling a boot, and jumping a spark 1/4" or a 1/2" to a ground gives you an indication of how strong the current is.

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
Old 06-25-2002, 08:43 PM   #17
Longhorn Man

Grab your jumper cables and give her a boost from mom's car. Let it charge up for about 2 or 3 min.
When (if) it starts, remove the cables imediatly and let it run at a high idle for about 15 min before moving it or turning on any elevtrical stuff.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:42 PM   #18
PushinPebbles
My dad's 68

This is sorta embarrising but.......................on my dads 77 the battery cables looked just finebut..................we got no juice..................took he ends off cleaned them and covered them w/ packing grease................still works.......................this might help but................these other people prob. gotcha by now............................Jack
67 C-10 SWB 355 built T-350 tranny hurst shifter 17x8in KMC's on michelins, clear tails and back up lights slammed**UPDATE i have decided on my bag setup and will post further info when i recieve all the parts
88 1/2 ton suburban 4x4 350/700R-4*having a 9 in lift w/ 38 in tires
4 12 inch Lightning Audios
87 silverado 3/4ton jacked up 10-12 inches black and rubberized bed coating 35 in michelans ******************************
Dad's truck
68 C-10 stepside, 468 BB, tubbed, weld wheels, Nason black,lots more
grand dads truck 68 C-10 stepside
fuel inj. 350/700R-4*soon in audi silver*
84 toyota pickup 22R 5 speed 2WD slammed, shaved and all the body lines filled w/ buickGN scoop,bout to be sprayed in 2003 mustang green metallic w/ silver flames
S/N=BIGGYTYME@aol.com
(hydros)
"No fat chics, truck will scrape"
PushinPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 09:50 AM   #19
Pumkin Truck
Thats just prime!

Now i am convinced that it is the battery for sure. Was gonna give the truck a jump but couldn't find jumper cables. So i had to remove the battery to charge separately. I also took out the battery tray and am sanding it as we speak. It had a lot of rust in some corners and acid dust build up but now it is looking shinier than ever, any recommendations on primer and or how to properly paint it? Hopefolly it is the battery. Anyway, thanks for the input!

1 Bad 5.7ltr LS1
Old 06-27-2002, 02:05 PM   #20
Woody

Sounds like a bad battery. A battery with a dead cell will run lights and other stuff but die when a heavy pull is put on it. If the battery has caps that you can remove, open them and look for a dry cell, also (with Safety Glasses on, or at lease sun glasses) have some one try to start the engine and look at the cells, if 1 of them starts to boil, it is a shorted cell and the battery is bad.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:25 PM   #21
Pumkin Truck
Thats just prime!

THats some useful info. I had the battery recharging since 6pm, still low on power at 9pm and for got about it that night and disconnected it at 10am the next day. THe vents were off while charging but at 10am they were boiling. Havn't put the battery back in because i am still sanding the tray.

1 Bad 5.7ltr LS1
Old 06-27-2002, 11:36 PM   #22
Longhorn Man

So what's the word?
Old 07-08-2002, 08:01 PM   #23
colohusker

Did charging the battery take care of it? Just curious...

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
Old 07-08-2002, 08:56 PM   #24
racedvl
Account Suspended

Cables tight and clean on the battery?
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 11:45 AM   #25
Pumkin Truck
Thats just prime!

Oh, sorry i kept you guys waiting

In the end, it turned out to be a very very low battery, once i charged it overnight the truck started right up. but i am not finished sanding down the tray becuase i have been cramming for my final tomarrow. Thanks again for the interest and help everyone.

1 Bad 5.7ltr LS1