The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2002, 07:48 PM   #1
COBALT

Question Dial Indicators

What do you guys have for dial indicators, for checking deflection on rear-end components, play in input/output shafts, etc.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best setup to go with. I've heard ones with magnetic bases don't work in all applications...

Any advice? Brand names?
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 08:08 PM   #2
MikeB

The dial indicator is separate from the magnetic base. When the base won't "stick", you can bolt the indicator in place using a right angle bracket. As with anything, the name brand stuff is best, but for occasional use, the Taiwanese stuff is OK. You can spend $80 on a Mitutoyo or $19 on a no-name Taiwanese indicator. For starters, check out http://www.autospecialtytools.com/cg...storeindex.dht
I got one from Sears 30 years ago and still use it frequently.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 12:08 AM   #3
RipMeyer

My job is to calibrate stuff like this. All kinds of measuring stuff.

The good ones are Mitutoyo & Starrett
RipMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 12:35 AM   #4
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

I'VE BEEN A JOURNYMAN GAGEMAKER ALL MY WORKING LIFE (FINALLY A SUBJECT THAT I KNOW AS GOOD AS ANYBODY) & OWNED & OPERATED A GAGE SHOP FOR ABOUT 12 YEARS. FOR A MECHANICAL DIAL INDICATOR FOR AUTOMOTIVE WORK, YOU REALLY DON'T NEED ANYTHING MORE THAN A CHEAP (ABOUT $20) CHINEEZE .001 DIAL INDICATOR, IN MY OPINION. I'M SURE NOT TRYING TO START ANY ARGUMENTS HERE, BELIEVE ME. MITUTOYO ARE ABOUT MIDDLE ROAD(PRICE WISE) & ARE REALLY GOOD, WHILE STARRETTS ARE ABOUT 40 YEARS BEHIND THE TIMES (NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL). THE ONES THAT I LIKED THE BEST WERE THE INTERAPID INDICATORS (ABOUT $200), WITCH WERE WELL WORTH THE MONEY, WHEN I WAS USING THEM EVERY DAY TO MAKE A LIVING, BUT NOW THAT I'M RETIRED & JUST WORK ON THESE OLD TRUCKS, I DON'T MIND SPENDING $350 ON A NICE SET OF MAC OR SNAP-ON WRENCHES, BUT HAVE SOME CHEAP INDICATORS & MIC.S THAT I WOULDN'T HAVE EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT TRYING TO USE IN THE GAGEMAKER TRADE.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 02:52 AM   #5
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

it's been long enough since i bought mine and it was in a tool kit that i got when i went to tech school, but i think it was around 80 for it.....it's a central tool, with a magnetic base.

If I ever buy another one, i'm going to get one that has the switch on the base to attatch and detatch the magnet, mine is always magnetic and kind of a pita.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 02:45 PM   #6
Mike C

I'm in agreement with Junkyard John. If you want to spend money on a COMPLETE kit, Jegs has the Proform kit with dial indicator and everything to check pinion depth for $99. It will work with ANY rear axle. Preciscion Measurement out of San Antonion makes a similar tool for $175. I have a T&D Machine setup tool that cost about $300 but uses discs and a shaft to center the indicator vs. measuring from the cap surface to the bearing surface and calculating centerline like the others do. MSC and Enco are two places you can get a dial indicator WITH base for about $20. Any of the depth checker kits you get you'll want to buy a magnetic base as well.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 06:04 PM   #7
Stepside
Gasser

Starrett "Last Word" for the clearances. Starrett 1" travel for the others. Starrett 100lb pull mag base. Assorted self-made fixtures.
I also have some of those chopstick ones, I keep in the garage. The good stuff stays in the house, along with all the other specialized instruments and tools. 40 yrs. behind time? Wasn't that around the time when the best stuff in the world was made? Here? I'll have to admit though, my favorite 1"Mic at work is NSK. My Calipers are B&S. Starrett calipers suck. But this post was about indicators, right?
Stepside

Last edited by Stepside; 06-25-2002 at 06:25 PM.
Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 11:31 PM   #8
mikep
Used to have a truck

Ive got a boxfull of crapped out starret dial indicators accumulated over the last 14 years doing machine work and packaging machine setup and tuning. I give them 6 months of regular use before they start to seize and hardly ever buy starret dial indicators any more as Ive had them go to hell after a few months . If it was my dime instead of my employers I'd be pissed . For my money Ive had much better luck with Mitotoyo dial indicators and I swear by their dial and digital calipers. The real cheap stuff I avoid like the plague but Mititoyo is a high quality brand IMHO.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:39 AM   #9
junkyardjohn

Talking

YEP --- WHEN I SAID 40 YEARS, I WAS BEING KIND. IT'S MORE LIKE 50 OR 60. LAST WORD INDICATORS HAVEN'T CHANGED MUCH SINCE WWII (OR AS MY GRAMPA USED TO SAY "THE BIG ONE") THEY WERE NO-DOUBT "THE BEST MONEY COULD BUY" IN THERE DAY, BUT THAT DAY HAS BEEN GONE FOR AN AWFUL LOT OF YEARS. SORRY TO SAY BUT THE BEST MEASURING EQUIPTMENT IS NOT MADE IN THE GOOD OLD USA ANY LONGER. HEY -- IT'S NOT AN OPINION, BUT A FACT. (& NOT ONE THAT I'M PARTICULARLY PROUD OF EITHER) I DID ALOT OF WORK (MAKING MASTERS) FOR FORD,GM,HOMELITE CHRYSLER,JOHN DEER YADA YADA YADA, & SERVED MY APRENICESHIP AT A LITTLE GAGE SHOP IN DETROIT THAT SPECIALIZED IN MAKING GAGE BLOCKS. OH YEA -- THE BEST STUFF IN THE WORLD WAS MADE 40 OR 50 YEARS AGO -- SURE

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 06-26-2002, 01:08 AM   #10
RipMeyer

These are preciscion indicators. If yours seize up I assure you you are not treating them correctly. I am a METROLOGIST and I calibrate and maintain these things on a daily basis. Most people dont treat them correctly. They should last many years. Starrett has been the industry standard for a long time. There stuff is well above par. Mitutoyo is also very good.

This indicator is not 50 years behind the times and wont seize up after 6 months.

Last edited by RipMeyer; 06-26-2002 at 01:13 AM.
RipMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 01:40 AM   #11
junkyardjohn

WE WERE TALKING ABOUT STARRETT LAST WORD INDICATORS. DIAL INDICATORS. THOSE PICTURED ARE ELCTRONIC, DIGITAL READOUT, TRAVEL INDICATORS. DOES YOUR BOOK PUT A PRICE ON THEM??

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH