The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
aimtoplease

1965 C-10 Fleetside for sale

The restoration process for my 1965 Chevy Fleet-side
You can bid on this truck at E-bay.com #4564591861

The truck was completely taken apart. Care was taken stripping all the old paint of every part (it had four previous paint jobs!). Once the parts were stripped, epoxy primer was applied. After two days, days were spent block sanding all the parts to achieve a mirror finish. Below you see that paint was applied to both front and back of the parts.

Once the assortments of parts were finished, I focused my attention on the cab. And like the majority of elderly pick-ups the cab corners needed to be replaced. The cab was particularly difficult to strip to bare metal for two reasons: First, the contours of the cab made it impossible to machine sand a significant amount of the cab. Thus, I was forced to hand sand these troublesome areas; second, these troublesome areas had quite a buildup of paint, I’d say close to 8 mills. I felt extremely satisfied when the cab was finally ready for the epoxy primer. After applying the primer, I let the primer shrink for a couple of days (allowing for shrinkage minimizes sand scratches, from showing, after the finish paint is applied) while I begin restoring the chassis. I’m getting excited about putting the truck back together. I order the wood yesterday. I’m trying to coordinate the arrival of the wood with the completion of the chassis and cab.

After a week of pressure washing, scrapping, sanding, and finally priming, I was ready to apply the catalyzed paint. I was extremely satisfied with the results, even though the majority of the chassis will be hidden; I wanted to guarantee that this truck will live on for at least another 40 years. The color contrast between the high gloss black and vivid red is extremely pleasing to the eyes. For fun during my breaks, I would throw a ball to our always happy dog named Lucy. She definitely in much better shape than myself!

Well it’s time to start putting this spectacular 1965 Chevy C-10 back together. The bed went back together flawlessly. FYI- There is over a hundred bolts holding the bed together. Making sure the bed rails were all uniformly placed and all the bolts fitting into their proper place was the most time consuming part of the bed assembly. The final results were well worth this time consuming process. As you can tell by these pictures!

Next up, I needed to polish all the aluminum trim pieces. If you’ve ever polished aluminum with a high speed polishing wheel you understand the difficulty involved in bring these pieces to a high polished finish. What’s really rewarding is that all the pieces are original factory parts. Now all that’s left is putting the interior back together.
aimtoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Slammed66
Needs a Big Block

why all that work and then use scabbo cheapy side trim to replicate the original cool stuff???

this would sell better in the classifieds too.
1972 K10
Slammed66 is offline   Reply With Quote