The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2002, 02:15 PM   #1
chaptr2

Help with Utility trailer

I have some question about out body style utility trailers and location of VIN.

I picked up a utility trailer already done (for free), but with an eight-foot bed. So I took the long bed off and put my old short step side bed on. We also had to cut a little off the rear of the frame (maybe 6 inches). The space that was left up front I used an aluminum diamond plate truck box. For inside of the bed I used steel diamond plate for the bed floor.

Now after talking to Washington State Patrol office to get it licensed. He said that I should hope that I didn't cut off the VIN number that is stamped in the rear of the frame. I don't know where that is at and I didn't cut the frame the guy who gave it to me did. The guy never registered this as a trailer, but gave me a title and VIN tag to the truck that it was from.

Does anyone have advice for me? I know there are some people from Washington State here and I wondered if people have gone through this? Thanks in advance...

Chaptr2

70 GMC Short box stepside Blown 388 Stroker
72 K/5 Blazer 350/SM465/205
chaptr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 02:38 PM   #2
Mike C

Every state is different, but to get a tag in TX, just go to Tax Assessor and register a home built trailer. They don't assign a serial # and will give you a tag. Typically on a shop built trailer, the VIN tag and other info is on the tongue and not rear of the trailer.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 03:06 PM   #3
chaptr2

Actually what the state patrol said is that the frame should have the vin of the truck. I didn't know there was a actual factory vin stamped on the rear of the frame. I know there is one in the cab and one somewhere on the front of the frame, but not in the back.

I went to the licensing place and they said for a home built trailor, I need receipts, and all I have is some for a wire spool, cut off blades, and a few carrage bolts. maybe totaling 27 dollors worth. This is almost too much hassle, but I will make it work.

Chaptr2

Old 06-25-2002, 06:00 PM   #4
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I wouldn't sweat it. The officer is misstaken about the vin # location. The vin # is on the driver's side frame rail, sometimes stamped upside down on the side of the frame or on top of the frame. They are not stamped in the rear that I have ever seen. I have a utility trailer that I built out of an old 69 chevy and I took it to the state patrol for inspection also. The lady at the licencing department told me to save all of my reciepts also and the state patrol didn't even give them a glance. I am not telling you to chuck your reciepts, just not to sweat it. When the state patrol reads the vin on the side of the frame and compares it to the one on the title, you will be home free. That was the only thing that they even looked at on my trailer..LOL They X-ed out the old vin and put in a state patrol vin with a little state patrol vin plate also. They didn't even check to see if the lights were working... LOL. Heck if they give you too much trouble, I'll sell you mine... LOL WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 06:23 PM   #5
chaptr2

Thank you Wes! Ok then I am stressing out over nothing (I hope). The trailor never had a vin tag put on it because the guy never wanted to hassle with it. I do have the orginal vin tag off the truck, should I take that with me? The last guy mounted it on the bed and said he took the cab to the scrap yard. Thanks again.

Chaptr2

Old 06-26-2002, 03:56 AM   #6
WORNBRAKES

I just had mine inspected last month and the only hastle the state gave me was the advised me that the trailer was heavy and should have brakes. Wa state says you can only leagely tow 40% of your GVW without brakes on the trailer. I just told the lady I made the trailer to take the good bed and rear end to Fl with me. They didn't inspect lights, welds or anything. Your reciepts will come in handy at licencing. You wont have to pay taxes on the material you have already paid taxes on. When you licence it plan on paying the 55.00 inspection fee. My total was about 90.00 You should have no problems.
Mario

69 C10 305/350
71 K5 Basket case
75 K10 Rescue **Parting out**
77 MG Midget **Parting out**
15 6.7L Cummins
WORNBRAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 11:07 AM   #7
chaptr2

Thanks Mike, Wes, and WarnBrakes. I will update this thread Friday evening, when I get back from doing this.

Chaptr2

Old 06-28-2002, 04:47 PM   #8
chaptr2

I want to thank you Wes, WornBrakes, and Mike C.

I went today and got my trailer resgistered. When I went into the inspection the state patrol guy just stamped the vin on the trailor and put a tag on it. He had me go in the office and sign the paperwork he wrote up. He then called me partner and sent me on my way.

I never figured it would be so easy to do. I stressed over nothing. Oh and the guy not once checked to see if my brake lights worked. Oh well.

Thanks guys!!