The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
Shannon's86

Lowering 85 SBC

What is the cheapest way to lower a 86 Chevy Shortbed. Only about 3" in front and 4" in back? Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. I figure hangers and shackels out back. Should I cut coils off front? Will drop springs do it in the front?
Shannon's86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
Prerunner1982

cheap may save you money initially but will cause a headache in the future.. cutting coils or heating them will give you a harsh ride.. the right way to do it is spindles.. and a flip kit. i am not sure how much drop you can get out of shackles and hangers.. but i know that a shackle has to be twice as long as the drop you want.. (ex. a 2" longer shackle will only net you 1" drop).. you can only drop with shackles and hangers so far before you start chopping up the bed.. wait alittle longer and save alittle money and get drop spindles (maybe 2" drop spindles and 1" drop spring, or go with 3" spindles and grind a bit off your control arms) and go with a flip kit in the back, though it will probably drop it closer to 5" so you may want 4" up front..
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
Shannon's86

That sounds good. The only problem I would have is thats this is a drag truck and my slicks are going to rub my outer fenders. During launch. Plus driving around the pits Im going ot try not to get hung up drving around. I found a shackel kit that lowers the rear 4". I didnt know if I just bought a drop spring if it would do anything by itself or if I would need to buy lower control arms also? thanks so much for your input.
Shannon's86 is offline   Reply With Quote