The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Powermaster alternators = JUNK

As a lot of you guys already know, I have a chrome Powermaster alternator #37293. This is the one wire, 140 amp model. It's a piece of junk. I bought this thing from Summit back in June 2002. But the kicker is it probably only has 10,000 miles or less. More than likely a lot less since I very seldom drive my truck.

Anyway, I noticed a few months ago whenever I would start the truck, the belt would squeal a tad every once in awhile. I thought it was maybe a loose belt and never paid it much attention. So I was driving it around 3 weeks ago and it was raining. So with my stereo and lights going, I noticed the voltmeter was sitting below 12 volts. I tuned off the tunes and proceeded to move along. I parked it in the shop after driving. I go to start it up again a few days later and the battery was dead as a door nail. I checked the battery and it was low so I thought the battery was the culprit since it was 7 years old even though it was a 8 year battery. I bought a new battery and put it in. Start the truck and the alternator was raising hell. I shut it down and take the alternator off. Tiny pieces of something fell out in my hand. The bearings are shot, along with what else I don't know.

I went to Powermasters website and sent them a friendly note. I asked them all kinds of questions and told them I thought this was pretty low quality on their end. Guess what? I haven't heard back from them. So I drop it off at the local alternator shop today to have it rebuilt. They said it would probably be around 90 bucks to fix it. I asked the guy so, these Powermaster alternators are supposed to be good ones right? He laughed and pointed to 2 more sitting in his office waiting on a rebuild.

So as a fair warning, stay away from Powermaster alternators. I am very sorry if anyone bought one because I recommended it to them. I was only going by what I had read and seen others say about them.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Prerunner1982

Mike, glad to see you are still around... hadnt seen ya in awhile... sorry about the luck with the alternator...
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

FWIW, check out www.4alterstart.com . I realize it's a little late, but they have pretty decent products.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy
FWIW, check out www.4alterstart.com . I realize it's a little late, but they have pretty decent products.
And their prices aren't too bad either!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
C&C Chevy

Long time, no see, Mike! Sorry to hear about your alt. dilema. Glad I didn't shell out the $$$ to get one and opted for a AC Delco unit instead. So far, so good.

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
PHOENIX

You get what you pay for.................. Just teasin' ya Mike.
I was looking to purchase a Power Master next time I needed one, don't think so now.
The life-time warranty Checker one (94 amp?) I have has been pretty good to me and it has the life-time warranty.
I have personally had good luck with these Checker/AutoZone life-time warranty parts.
I just wish the alternator had more power.
My dad hooked it up at his work one time and it was pumping out the 94 amp at just above idle.
Like I said a million times, with lights, sterio and fan running the lights dim a little at idle or when the bass hits.
I think if I had a little more power I wouldn't even notice it.

What are you going to buy to replace it?

Last edited by PHOENIX; 08-02-2005 at 05:54 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
texan1186
Under Major Construction

i have the same one and it has whistled since we put it in a few months ago.
texan1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eddie,

I'm getting this one rebuilt and with good ole' American made parts.

All I can say to anyone who owns one of these pieces of crap is I hope you have better luck than I did.

Mike
Old 08-02-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
bodydropped

they stink i will either run a team green alternator or get one built because i seen the team green ones used by many of high end stereo contestants but i can get a 240 amp one built for 180 and at 90 amp at idle
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:53 AM   #10
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
And their prices aren't too bad either!
They are local, too.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Mike sorry to hear about your alt. troubles, but some good did come of your troubles. It brought you out of hiding so you had a place to vent....
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:01 PM   #12
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
but some good did come of your troubles. It brought you out of hiding so you had a place to vent....
Yes, you are right once again my friend.

I had to vent with folks who understand. Nobody I know around here who gives a flip.

Picked up the alternator today and stuck it on. Cost me 95 bucks to get it rebuilt.

Mike
Old 08-03-2005, 06:03 PM   #13
AirMale

now he tells me...DOH!
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #14
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMale
now he tells me...DOH!
Same here, I just bought mine about a month ago!

Hopefully Mike just had a bad one, and not ALL are bad. No matter what you buy, there is always going to be unhappy customers/failures.

Sorry to hear about that Mike.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #15
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Sorry guys. No way I would have ever recommended them if I had known this. I surely hope you have better luck than I did.

As a side note, if you remember back a couple years ago, me telling about the chrome coming off the pulley on this thing. I contacted Powermaster about it and they sent me another one, free of charge. I thought that was great of them. Well, today when I picked it up from the rebuild shop, I noticed it had three small bubbles under the chrome on the pulley again.

Cheap ass Chinese made junk. I bet you my bottom dollar these things come over here on a boat. It really irks me about stuff like this. What do you do anymore? How do you tell if something is good or not? I only bought one to begin with after reading good reviews on them all over the net. Now this.

Oh well. It's done now. We'll see if I can get another pulley for free. I bet not after the friendly email I sent them a couple weeks ago.

Mike